LJ to HJ body panel interchangability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
I am looking at importing an HJZ77 or 76 and wondering, are body panels interchangable with the LJ trucks? Wondering for the inevitable rust repairs and scarcity of parts...

Based on my research it seems that from the front fenders forward the answer is no, but the body shell from the A-pillar back is the same? Basically what I am wondering is if I get rust in the rear wheel wells, doors, etc, can I find a dead LJ and cut pieces out to use as donor metal?

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that from the firewall back the 77, 76, and 78-series are all the same.

Crushers I think once said the front was 50 mm lower and 100 mm shorter on the LJ/RJ models, maybe it was the other way around.
He also said you could put the long nose panels onto the LJ/RJ models with some work.
But yes, everything south of the firewall is the same , as long as they have the same windscreen frame and the same number of doors.
The 4 door models have different front doors.
So you would be advised to get a LJ78, NOT an LJ70 if you want to buy a HZJ77/76

I have put a lj70 rear cab on my bj70 chassis with the bj70 front end everything bolted up without modification.

Well I've done the comparison and I have had a 77 series since 2006 and done body swaps on it 3 times (flipped the truck once, hated the two tone the second time...) and I can confirm that the firewall back is the same. Differences occur around the tunnel if there's a suspension seat fitted or not.

Firewall FORWARD, the fenders will fit, physically on the firewall, and the rad support will be slightly further forward (about 3"). the body mounts will need to be relocated, but this will permit the HZ /HD-T style engines. I'm going to do this swap on a LJ78 at our shop now.

other things like the turn signals aren't the same configuration, so there may be some unusual goings on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom