Girlfriend nearly ran the LX450 out of gas - now misfiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now, after putting gas in the tank, it sounds like it is misfiring on one cylinder. Is there any reason these things might be related? We've only driven it a few times .25 mi to the store and back since then. Kind of afraid to drive it farther.

Thanks

Iv'e driven my 80 series out and nearly out of gas plenty of times, never had a misfire afterwards. maybe some trash got though the filter to one of the injectors? FYI I usually pump 24 to 24.5 gallons of fuel when I fill up. I once pumped 25 and some change but that was only once and i don't recommend running it that low:doh:

COuld have pulled some junk into the injectors. I’d take them out and send them in for cleaning, rebuilds and flow matching. Also replace the fuel filter while you are there.

I’ve run my 80 dry 4 times and haven’t had any issues. But my injectors and fuel filter only have 30k miles on them.

The FSM says to run the fuel line dry before opening the fuel system for service. I wouldn't think the two are related.

If it's misfiring, you'll have a MIL. If you don't, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling your injectors, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Misfire should trigger a P0300 or 030x for the specific cylinder that is the problem.

The fuel filter may have been close to being clogged, running it very low may have finally blocked it?

Change the fuel filter first, also the fuel pump can suffer if run low/dry.

Regards

Dave

The fuel filter may have been close to being clogged, running it very low may have finally blocked it?

Change the fuel filter first, also the fuel pump can suffer if run low/dry.

Regards

Dave
He could probably look in the tank too to see if there is a bunch of gunk in there. After seeing some of the tanks that people have taken pics of and shared here, I wouldn't be shocked if there is a bunch of rust or other crud in the bottom of the tank. Might be worth getting that out if that is the case before clogging another fuel filter up.

After having done this twice in a month (I have a fleet), I wouldn't change that filter unless someone had a gun to my head.

If you pull your injectors and have them flow matched or whatever you will prob have problems, like said above no code drive it if anything you could change the filter but even that you are prob ok

Could have a small exhaust leak causing a sound like a miss or stumble

If you pull your injectors and have them flow matched or whatever you will prob have problems

What?? This was one of the best things I did, instant pick up in power and responsiveness. And no it's not hard to do.

Well I'm just speaking from my experience where we would send out injectors on request never saw a difference and then one would fail, and it is also been scene on here multiple times. I don't see a point and many were over 300k and fine still

Sounds like some crud got into the system.

Change filter
Dump a couple of bottles of fuel system cleaner
Dump a couple of bottles injector cleaner
Drive somewhere and get it out of the system[/QUOTE

Crank it up to 5 grand a few times and chase the Seders out of it?

What?? This was one of the best things I did, instant pick up in power and responsiveness. And no it's not hard to do.

Sorry your injectors were so messed up, maybe the alcohol in our fuel keeps them cleaner? Have done a bunch of them and other than ones harvested from the pick & pull, they have had almost no change. The cleaning process is pretty simple, ultrasonic cleaning then cycle flushing, don't see how it would damage them. But we have had a series of injector failures, what did all of them have in common, recently cleaned.

Overall the fuel systems we see are very clean, even on high miles units. So will no longer be having injectors cleaned for fun. We were having them done whenever they were out, now will be doing it only when there is a problem. Don't have enough evidence to be sure of the failure, but talking with shops, most are seeing the same and agree, moving to only when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom