Oil in radiator. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well...good news I guess. I checked compression on cylinders tonight and looks like they are all around the 140-150 range. That’s good right.
Have not tried any of the other suggestions. Was going to, but my son drove it to baseball.
So I just checked PSI while it was still warm.
Looked at fluid in radiator and it still smells like oil. But maybe just not flushed enough.

The compression seems fine. Head gaskets often fail in a spot that doesn't effect the compression, so that is possible.
But in your case I would be quietly optimistic.
Flush, run for a day, flush again ect. Just use water, dont waste antifreeze.
others might have advice on what sort of detergent flush to use if the oil is stubborn to shift.

I have heard that acid or caustic flushes are not recommended, so probably avoid those.
Washing soda [Sodium carbonate] is supposed to be fairly benign.
I used it with no problems.

Last edited:
The compression seems fine. Head gaskets often fail in a spot that doesn't effect the compression, so that is possible.
But in your case I would be quietly optimistic.
Flush, run for a day, flush again ect. Just use water, dont waste antifreeze.
others might have advice on what sort of detergent flush to use if the oil is stubborn to shift.

I have heard that acid or caustic flushes are not recommended, so probably avoid those.
Washing soda [Sodium carbonate] is supposed to be fairly benign.
I used it with no problems.

I will give that a shot this weekend. I don't have a problem replacing the head gasket, I guess I am more afraid of what I might find...lol

Yes, possibly a breach between pressurized oil and less pressurized coolant. Best place for that is the oil cooler. If not there, then HG, cracked head, cracked block are all possible.

But first, the oil & cooling systems need cleaned out, filled with clean fluid and test driven to see if symptom comes back.

Or just put antifreeze back in and forget about it! I cant recall who made the statement on MUD, but it is perfect for the 2F motor and your situation:

"It is too stupid to die"

If you know who wrote that, please give proper credit!

Or just put antifreeze back in and forget about it! I cant recall who made the statement on MUD, but it is perfect for the 2F motor and your situation:

"It is too stupid to die"

If you know who wrote that, please give proper credit!

haha, good one.

Yes, possibly a breach between pressurized oil and less pressurized coolant. Best place for that is the oil cooler. If not there, then HG, cracked head, cracked block are all possible.

But first, the oil & cooling systems need cleaned out, filled with clean fluid and test driven to see if symptom comes back.

Well since I do not have an oil cooler, I am going to get a OEM head gasket and replace that first. Thinking back to when I purchased it in December I was having backfiring issues. The carb was tuned for high altitude. I may have damaged the gasket at that point.

Anyone know a good place to purchase OEM head gasket?

Cool Cruisers is up in Dallas

try doing a pressure test on the cooling system. This will tell you if you have a leaking head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom