Got my first cruiser ! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome and good luck with the TLC department and most importantly welcome to a world of OCD :)

Reactions: RFB
sweet color hows the under carriage?? welcome to MUD

Welcome to the Mud archives. Sometimes is does take a lot of digging to find exactly what you are looking for but life is about the journey isn't it? I prefer a hard copy of the FSM. Yes some of my pages have dirty finger prints on them and the binding is beginning to fall apart but it's right there where I need it for a quick reference. And, sometimes, you just have to jump in head first and see what happens next.
My old 1969 IH cub cadet 127 manual has greasy fingers all through it lol

sweet color hows the under carriage?? welcome to MUD
It’s rusty but nothing that’s effecting anything structurally a lot of surface rust it’s gunna be a messy job any recamendations other than wire wheel and fluid film to halt the rust ?

... I need to do a birf rebuild she clicks ...

Depending on the click, amount of wear, may or may not need new birf. On any "new" rig we always check the moly grease level in the knuckles, often low/empty, if so add to bring it up to ~1/2 to 3/4 full. In some cases properly lubed birf will stop clicking. Even if a reseal job is needed, this test nets knowledge of axle condition. The other thing to check is diff oil condition/level add or change as needed. After confirming good lubes, put miles on it, note any noises or problems. Having a bit of history prior to the reseal job is better than having to go back in after the job?

It's really true that cleaning takes the longest time when rebuilding the knuckles. I've had the plant mech working on mine and most of that time has just been scrubbing ancient gunk and grease off of components. He's ready to reassemble now, after quite a lot of work.

It's really true that cleaning takes the longest time when rebuilding the knuckles. I've had the plant mech working on mine and most of that time has just been scrubbing ancient gunk and grease off of components. He's ready to reassemble now, after quite a lot of work.

Absolutely agree. We tell customers the job takes 6-10 hours and 4-8 of that is cleaning :D

congrats fellow money pit owner. They are a blast to drive offroad too. axle job is just messy I would worry more about the rust being an issue. But I live in a state that rust isn't much of a concern. rust = headache to work on bolts breaking off etc etc but all the same it is a journey the ownership off owning a very capable off as well as on road vehicle. Learning is half the fun of working on the truck.

Diy...paper towels and shop rags are your friend.

Depending on the click, amount of wear, may or may not need new birf. On any "new" rig we always check the moly grease level in the knuckles, often low/empty, if so add to bring it up to ~1/2 to 3/4 full. In some cases properly lubed birf will stop clicking. Even if a reseal job is needed, this test nets knowledge of axle condition. The other thing to check is diff oil condition/level add or change as needed. After confirming good lubes, put miles on it, note any noises or problems. Having a bit of history prior to the reseal job is better than having to go back in after the job?

I was just going to say this. Check the knuckle grease. Fill them to 3/4 full and see if it still clicks.

OP, take a pic of each knuckle (the round ball inwards of the wheel). If it’s dry/rusty you are low on Molly grease (or don’t have any). Thus the click.

I was just going to say this. Check the knuckle grease. Fill them to 3/4 full and see if it still clicks.

OP, take a pic of each knuckle (the round ball inwards of the wheel). If it’s dry/rusty you are low on Molly grease (or don’t have any). Thus the click.
The back of the knuckles are super greasy

The back of the knuckles are super greasy

Then as @Tools R Us mentioned, fill it to 3/4 full via the square inspection Port on top. It takes a 13mm open ended wrench to open it.

Some people use a grease gun to fill, some buy the squeezeable tubes of grease, I buy a bucket of grease and use my ziploc method. Stick your hand in the ziploc like you are wearing it as a mitten. Scoop up a bunch of grease then peal the ziploc off so that the grease is now inside. Cut a small corner off and squeeze. Use a zip tie to help push it down in to the knuckle. Drive a little while to work it around.

See if the click is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom