How you guys mounting your iPhone pluses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just like @Get outside. Who copied who? Or both are incredibly ingenious

Not sure. But he doesn't take credit for the idea.

First off, I can’t take credit for this idea. There have been several members here who have made a similar bracket for themselves. I believe @nnnnnate was one of the first, so kudos to him! I just have the ability and desire to make them and sell them so people with less time and abilities can enjoy the same advancements.

I use a CD-player mounted magnet holder. I've seen those sticky-backed ones fail in Florida heat, so I didn't want to bother with that. I have this one. It works great, my phone has never fallen off while offroading, or going over washboard roads. You can still use CDs with it, you just have to remove the mount to load it (I never use CDs).

I have the panavise passenger side center dash mount and the proclip driver side center dash mount with Panavise Portagrips with the AMPS backing for both (only 16.99 each from Amazon). The foam is really high quality, I had an Arkon holder where the foam grips disintegrated after a year.

Both are wonderful, I think the proclip was easier to install. I do have to close my cell phone holder so when I take out the key, it doesn't hit the stalk (minor annoyance). But flying over speed bumps and sudden stops my iphone 7 plus has stayed secure. I use the second location for my handheld ham radio.

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Dashboard Mounts | ProClip USA

So a year later, how's it holding up? I'm pretty sure that I'll go something similar to this, but using a piece with some elevation, similar to this -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHATPS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3AK1K19MPF0E2 and run the RAM mount up and over towards the steering wheel, so as to keep the life-support vent clear, and get the phone closer to the field of view. I was thinking either to remove stereo cover and drill/bolt from the inside out, then replace over stereo (I have a Kenwood unit), or use JB Weld like you, or possibly even just tack weld it. What changes, if any, would you make?

And separately, has anyone had any luck with a magnetic mount off road? If so, which one?

And separately, has anyone had any luck with a magnetic mount off road? If so, which one?

I think I’ve already commented in this thread, but recently I was in a crash when the other vehicle ran thru a stop sign. Insurance is trying to total my 100 due to 13k estimate to fix. The phone was still attached. I use the schosche. I use the large steel piece for the iPad on the back of my 6plus case. I use the small mount and stick to the top of my dash.

I think I’ve already commented in this thread, but recently I was in a crash when the other vehicle ran thru a stop sign. Insurance is trying to total my 100 due to 13k estimate to fix. The phone was still attached. I use the schosche. I use the large steel piece for the iPad on the back of my 6plus case. I use the small mount and stick to the top of my dash.
That's good to know. I'll look for something compatible with a mechanical RAM mount. Summers here kill adhesive and suction cup mounts.

I'm using a RAM X-Grip (UN10 version to accommodate a $12 wireless charger) mounted to one of RAM's POD arms. I tried getting the wireless charger to fit in a UN7 (smaller X-Grip design) and it's too tight. The UN10 works fantastic for most phones though and is more versatile since it accepts a wider range of phone types. Make sure to take off the RAM Mount vinyl sticker before attaching a wireless charger. I just used hot glue to attach in case I ever need to take it off.

Attached the whole kit to the driver's front right seat bolt. Also, I ran a direct 12v source to the fuse panel as well so no more cig adapters to deal with either. Works great and can still see everything I need on the dash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MRKLP7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 1593396 View attachment 1593397 View attachment 1593398

20171217_125636.jpg

20171217_125621.jpg

20171217_125610.jpg

Last edited:
Just like @Get outside. Who copied who? Or both are incredibly ingenious

HA HA HA!!! I don't know but I did mine back in June of 2016! Right before the family road trip that included HIHs! I have been out of MUD for most of 2017 due to a lot of s**t happening but am getting back on the trails and on the forums! Glad to see others are picking at my ideas too!

Regarding magnetic mounts: if you use your phone for navigation (compass), wouldn't the magnet screw it up?

I haven't seen that yet at all. My iPad Mini is secured in a shock case and then magnet attached to a Scosche swingarm suction cupped to the dash. Traveled ALL over Colorado with it and never once came unsecured (Imogene, Mosquito, TinCup, Stony, Kendall, etc.). The GPS compass wasn't impacted at all.

Additionally, my iPhone 8+ (previously 6) is magnet attached to a Nato mount on the blank panel to the passenger side of the climate controls (I have a '98 LX). Same thing with it. GPS was never impacted and the phone never came loose once despite rocky terrain. Very, very impressed.

Thanks for the verification
Story: driving "way the hell out there" in baja in vw bus, we were depending on compass for Macro-directional guidance (those crazy criss crossing dirt roads can turn you around....especially when raining w. cloud cover & tequila). Finally we stopped, walked about 10 yrd in front of rig, did a compass check....we were driving 180 degrees in wrong direction for 2+ hours. did I say vw bus w. lots of metal. On top of that, we had already reached the point of no return (already used over 1/2 gas):doh:

I guess we made it since I'm here to blah about it.

I'm currently using a pro clip on both my 2000 & 2004 for my Note 4. Sturdy, but block the life support vent, and a little low for my liking. I had a suction cup on the dash that finally died, the summer heat is brutal on the suction cups. On top of the dash is really the best place for them in terms of not taking your eyes of the road. I'm getting closer to just drilling through the dash pad, at least on the 2000...
I finally did it. Modified my suction cup magnetic mount and drilled a hole in the dash. Love it. Should have done it years ago. Puts the phone right where it needs to be.
20180630_102423.jpg
27163.jpg

Last edited:
I would have liked to go that route, but the sun here makes all sticky stuff and suction cups fall off.

I would still suggest trying it out. It has a soft rubbery back that sticks like glue. I can’t take mine off unless I get a putty knife. :-( If it doesn’t work out you can always easily return it to Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom