Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My GX has about 220000 Miles I was going to change the Transmission oil . Some where I saw it is not a good idea to try to replace All of it . Can any body shine a light on this subject of renewing T/A oil . Thank you

What’s your year?

drain and fill or a passive (using the system to move it) fluid replacement. Or you can drop the pan and clean it and refill. Those three seem to work best. Power flush is a major no no.

Post some pictures of the location of the drain hole and the overfill hole on the sealed 2004+ transmissions. I know there's no dip stick on yours, so you will need to follow specific procedures on how to fill up to the right level.

I read some details on other forums on how to do this. I had my transmission fluid changed by a local mechanic, but I have a 2003 which is not sealed.

I have an ‘08 and would love to change the standard fluid for a better quality. I’m not sure about the whole sealed tranny thing though. Advise?

What I’ve read on other forums is that the lifetime transmission fluid Toyota WS only lasts like 100k miles. I read that someone sent a sample to analyze and the transmission fluid was starting to wear down as it got close to 100k miles.

I’ve been on so many forums I don’t remember which Lexus forum I read this at. Lots of threads on this topic on other forums. It’s been a topic of heavy discussion

Anyways, many people don’t change the transmission fluid for many reasons but primarily because even Lexus dealers are confused about what to do on the sealed transmissions.

The consensus that I think I read was to change the transmission fluid if you have over 100k miles. In one case, I saw a couple people post that they changed it around 200k miles for the first time and they felt that the transmission shifted more smoothly.

These two people got it changed at either a Toyota or Lexus dealer that had new machines that could suck and refill the fluid. They said it cost $300. I don’t remember how long ago they did this, but it used 14 quartz of fluid to get it back to cherry red.

I had the factory WS fluid in my Tacoma (same transmission) with MaxLife around 90k. Had it done at a local Toyota dealer for $230ish. I'll be replacing the WS in my GX next spring the same way.

I am also going to change front and rear differential and the transfer case I know recommendation is GL-5 75W-90 I saw in another site talking about this subject and they do not use synthetic oil since it could cause leak . Any idea what kind of oil I need to replace It with ?

I have an ‘08 and would love to change the standard fluid for a better quality. I’m not sure about the whole sealed tranny thing though. Advise?

As others have implied, "lifetime" is a subjective attribute (not a criticism). Had my fluid changed around the 100K mark (also an '08) based on what I've read. There was nothing wrong with the rig but I did immediately notice an improvement in the smooth-shifting area once done.

Local Toyota shop did it for ~$250, FYI. Chump-change for peace-of-mind.....

Pumping it out through the inline cooler lines and refilling until all ~13 quarts are out could not be easier. Many a detailed write-up on here, TacomaWorld, and elsewhere. It really is simple so long as you focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom