Transmission fluid out of my dipstick? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
Bought an 03 recently. It has been well taken care of and just needed a starter, timing belt recently changed, fluids kept up, etc...Came with good records. I had driven it maybe 500 miles and suddenly notice transmission fluid dripping from the dipstick. Went to pull the dipstick and it was almost like the fluid was under pressure and really came out. What could make that happen??

Jus to tie a bow on this post...the truck had been overfilled. No explanation on how I drove it hundreds of miles before the problem showed up, but that was the issue. I suspect the gal who owned it did not know how to check the fluids and probably did so before listing it for sale and decided it would be a good idea to top it off. Maybe checked it when the truck was cold or even not running. Anyway, drained to the proper level and all is good.

this is going to be an oddity considering they removed the transmission dipstick in favor of a 'sealed' unit starting in 2004.

this is going to be an oddity considering they removed the transmission dipstick in favor of a 'sealed' unit starting in 2004.
yep, I have an 83 landcruiser and 3 other 4Runners and the only way to check and fill tranny is from below as well, so someone overfilling it from the dipstick is the only thing I could think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom