The long drive home; The next chapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[QUOTE="Seth S, post: 11307000, member:

IMG_5354-XL.jpg

IMG_5357-XL.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the uneventful drive, or is there more travelogue to be posted?
Civil engineering!
Boulders have punched through the highway deck, always active in Glenwood Canyon.

Ok...so lets see....Bombed down I70...enjoyed the afternoon sun, truck ran like it should, drove quietly, drank fuel like it was free etc. Only issue I really had was that at certain speeds there was a vibration that I attributed to imbalanced wheels....or possibly completely blown out old shock absorbers, worn bushings and tired suspension in combination with imbalanced wheels. It was a very rhythmic vibration that would come and go and I couldnt really find a speed where it went completely away. An issue I had to live with for the moment.

I continued to drone down I70 and eventually got to the mountain passes that I figured might be an adventure in themselves. Vail pass was very revealing on what to expect. I was able to maintain 50 mph as I recall with my foot on the floor in 4th gear. Dropping to 3rd gear just meant more engine noise and slightly slower speeds and I only had to drop to 3rd for a brief stint when the pass gets steeper near the top. After cresting the pass I stopped to use the facilities at the rest stop, check the fluids, and snap a few quick pictures.

Just over the top of Vail Pass
IMG_5361-XL.jpg

At the rest stop...snow on the Horizon....FJ60 hiding

IMG_5363-XL.jpg

Down the hill and headed towards Loveland pass

IMG_5365-XL.jpg

IMG_5366-XL.jpg

On the drive out from Denver when I was in the rental car and when I was climbing Loveland pass I saw the signs that indicated that Hazmat trucks had to use Highway 6 as they were not allowed in the tunnel. I thought to myself that highway 6 must be an easier road as well because they were sending Hazmat trucks that way. So on the way home I opted to take highway 6 over loveland instead thinking it would be an easier climb and I wouldn't have to worry about being a moving obstacle. Well I was correct in that it was a bit easier on the truck because the posted speeds are a lot lower, and It was an easier climb because of many more switchbacks....but I cannot imagine having to drive a hazmat truck on that road. I saw that A basin had skiing open and I saw people hiking and skiing at the top of the pass. Its also quite the eye opener when you come over the top from East to West and you can see I70 down below you and it looks like its straight down 1000+ feet.

IMG_5367-XL.jpg

IMG_5368-XL.jpg

I still had the old thermostat but it was producing some heat at this point.

IMG_5369-XL.jpg

"Avalanche blasting at any time using long range weaponry". Aka our aim sucks and our equipment is so old we cannot guarantee we wont hit you.

IMG_5370-XL.jpg

IMG_5371-XL.jpg

After stopping here to take a few pictures I basically beat feet and focused on getting to Fort Collins. The truck ran without issue and I didn't need to stop for fuel. No issues of any sort other than having to be mindful of being one of the slower vehicles on the road. Made it to Fort Collins and my friends house. This was the first leg of the trip home and covered about 300 miles. I managed 17.4 mpg on the first tank which I attributed to the extended periods of downhill terrain coming off the continental divide...many miles of simply coasting in neutral. So the first test was a success and I felt a little better about setting out across country in a 34 year old landcruiser....in November :)

Awesome. Your a good story teller. I like the way you interpreted the blasting sign.

Bit of a delay in finishing this short trip summary but work and life keep jumping in and sending me to different parts of the world.

The next morning in Fort Collins I wake up and look outside to see its snowing and there is a dusting on the 60. This means little to me but I do have a vision of a nightmare scenario of an I80 blizzard with cars stuck everywhere....luckily this didn't happen.

IMG_5373-XL.jpg

While in Fort Collins I headed over to the Toyota dealer to see about getting a new gas cap and a new thermostat. When I got to the dealer I parked next to a clean mid 80's toyota pickup and a second stock looking FJ60...figured this was the 80's model parking area.

IMG_5375-XL.jpg

The parts guy didn't have anything on hand but was able to get both parts for me for the next day. The only thing I didn't get because I didn't realize I needed to order it separately was the top gasket for the thermostat.

IMG_5380-XL.jpg

When I got back to the house I went ahead and installed my new H4 headlight housings and bulbs. The pair of H4's cost less than $100 and have such a nice light pattern by comparison to the old sealed beams. With stock wiring and standard bulbs they still pale by comparison to modern HID and LED lights but on an empty road they are quite nice.

IMG_5386-XL.jpg

While I was out running errands I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts and when I got out of the 60 I somehow managed to run the back of my left hand along the door trim corner. The result was a near surgical removal of about 1" of skin and a cut that would continue to bleed for several days. I had just bought a first aid kit to have in the glove box and it of course had no band aids in it. Luckily i was able to clean the wound in the DD bathroom and keep pressure on it until I found some bandages. :confused:

IMG_5387-XL.jpg

The remainder of my time in Fort Collins was uneventful and spent hanging out with my friends and their small kids. Spent halloween there and then headed out on a Wednesday iirc.

Last year I picked up a KTM 950 motorcycle in Colorado springs and then rode it home and I have been out to or through Colorado enough that the drive home is pretty much memorized. For those people who have never driven across country before I can summarize the experience with the following pictures:

IMG_5388-XL.jpg

IMG_5390-XL.jpg

IMG_5392-XL.jpg

This is pretty much what most of the middle of the country looks like from Eastern Colorado all the way to the East coast. In the summer it might be greener. To be honest though you might see corn and tractors. If you explore you can find some hills and there are a lot of interesting places but they are all off the normal travel routes.

The first day of my trip home I spent a bunch of time running around picking up last minute things including a grease gun with which i hit all the drive-line points before setting off. I drove from Fort Collins to Lincoln Nebraska where I got a hotel for the night.

IMG_5395-XL.jpg

When I got to the hotel and I shut the truck down outside the check in area it dieseled and I had to stall it in gear. But overall i wasn't too worried and so far the truck had performed a expected.

I bought an '83 from a guy in Az (I live near Houston Texas) and he told me that they truck could make it no problem if I wanted to drive it back...thank goodness I opted to have it shipped...headlights were super dim, steering play was beyond unreasonable, horn did not work, blew a freeze plug and pissed oil all over my garage shortly after i got it, dash lights didnt work, emergency brake would not hold, etc......I could do on and on. I am a couple months in and getting where I have some confidence in her. You were brave to take that trip....at the shop now getting new tie rods and the radiator refurbished. The suspension refresh did wonders in how it drives. Excited to see how much difference new tie rods make.
FJ60Lift.PNG

The one I bought came from a used Toyota truck dealer out in Colorado that seemed to have good reviews. I have an ex girlfriend that lives in Grand Junction where the 60 was and She went over took a ton of pictures for me and test drove it as well....So I had a little more confidence in its condition before I got there to pick it up. I carried every spare with me I could think of that would allow for a road side repair and I invested in the biggest AAA plan available in case I needed a tow. I figured that in the worst case I would end up on a flatbed and would find a local storage unit to park the 60 in and then fly home and come back later. So there was definitely risk involved but i was as prepared as I could be given the circumstances. My biggest worry was breaking down on some remote stretch of road with no cell service and not being able to repair the truck....so I just avoided doing any real exploring on the way home. I didn't read about the oil galley plug issue until I got home so I think that was a bit like the coyote not being affected by gravity until he read about it ;)

CrispCapitalBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

On the front of the block there is also a plug and if it goes it pisses all of your oil straight into your fan....that got me reading this forum and discovering the what the oil galley plug really is. My engine was rebuilt and I cannot tell if they actually addressed the OGP so I need to figure that out as well, but be aware of this other plug. I understand that it eventually became one they threaded vs just pressing it in. Here is my thread on it.

Oil Galley Plug??? '83FJ60

I purchased mine from Salt Lake City, wife and I flew out there and picked it up and drove back to Carson City (normally an 8hr drive by itself). Stopping halfway-ish in Winnemucca. While she dieseled on shutdown and brakes were a bit spongy from bad brake master, she drove perfectly the entire time and got us home without issue. Believe me I had a plethora of phone numbers to call should something happen and I was left on the side of the road plus a PLATINUM AAA membership. Needless to say the ONLY time I have had to use the AAA membership with the Land Cruiser was when I busted my TREs out wheeling and had them held together with bailing wire and didnt feel like driving mountain passes home after that trip (wife was with me or I may have risked it) and when I had it towed to my buddies house to refresh the head.

Bit of a delay in finishing this short trip summary but work and life keep jumping in and sending me to different parts of the world.

The next morning in Fort Collins I wake up and look outside to see its snowing and there is a dusting on the 60. This means little to me but I do have a vision of a nightmare scenario of an I80 blizzard with cars stuck everywhere....luckily this didn't happen.

IMG_5373-XL.jpg

While in Fort Collins I headed over to the Toyota dealer to see about getting a new gas cap and a new thermostat. When I got to the dealer I parked next to a clean mid 80's toyota pickup and a second stock looking FJ60...figured this was the 80's model parking area.

IMG_5375-XL.jpg

The parts guy didn't have anything on hand but was able to get both parts for me for the next day. The only thing I didn't get because I didn't realize I needed to order it separately was the top gasket for the thermostat.

IMG_5380-XL.jpg

When I got back to the house I went ahead and installed my new H4 headlight housings and bulbs. The pair of H4's cost less than $100 and have such a nice light pattern by comparison to the old sealed beams. With stock wiring and standard bulbs they still pale by comparison to modern HID and LED lights but on an empty road they are quite nice.

IMG_5386-XL.jpg

While I was out running errands I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts and when I got out of the 60 I somehow managed to run the back of my left hand along the door trim corner. The result was a near surgical removal of about 1" of skin and a cut that would continue to bleed for several days. I had just bought a first aid kit to have in the glove box and it of course had no band aids in it. Luckily i was able to clean the wound in the DD bathroom and keep pressure on it until I found some bandages. :confused:

IMG_5387-XL.jpg

The remainder of my time in Fort Collins was uneventful and spent hanging out with my friends and their small kids. Spent halloween there and then headed out on a Wednesday iirc.

Last year I picked up a KTM 950 motorcycle in Colorado springs and then rode it home and I have been out to or through Colorado enough that the drive home is pretty much memorized. For those people who have never driven across country before I can summarize the experience with the following pictures:

IMG_5388-XL.jpg

IMG_5390-XL.jpg

IMG_5392-XL.jpg

This is pretty much what most of the middle of the country looks like from Eastern Colorado all the way to the East coast. In the summer it might be greener. To be honest though you might see corn and tractors. If you explore you can find some hills and there are a lot of interesting places but they are all off the normal travel routes.

The first day of my trip home I spent a bunch of time running around picking up last minute things including a grease gun with which i hit all the drive-line points before setting off. I drove from Fort Collins to Lincoln Nebraska where I got a hotel for the night.

IMG_5395-XL.jpg

When I got to the hotel and I shut the truck down outside the check in area it dieseled and I had to stall it in gear. But overall i wasn't too worried and so far the truck had performed a expected.

Love this!! Great pics and love your journey. Its really nice to see people driving these across country. Solid engines. I've had to stall mine out as well. With my experience that can be easily fixed with timing and adjusting the carburetor. At least it helped with mine. Where did you get the new headlights? I'm looking to do this myself.

This should have been a relatively quick to write and short story about getting home....but I find I have less patience for sitting at the keyboard these days and Since I started this report I have traveled to Germany, Spain, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, and other parts of Italy for both work and vacation so its taken a bit longer than planned :)

So lets see....the first real leg of the trip home I drove from Colorado to Lincoln Nebraska where I found a Hilton in the down town area and cashed in some of my hotel points for a free room. Had a shower and some food and a good rest and was back at it the next day. Truck fired up without issue and very shortly I was back on the highway Headed East. However, one issue that was driving me nuts was the amount of vibration coming through the steering wheel. I guessed it was due to either an imbalance in the tires or flat spots on the tires from sitting so long. Either way it was very cyclical and I finally decided to find a tire place and get them re-balanced. Omaha was very close by and a quick search of Yelp brought me to a small tire shop who took me in the moment i pulled up and balanced my tires for about $30 iirc.

IMG_5401-XL.jpg

I wasnt thrilled with them raising the vehicle using the axles as lift points but at least they used 2 jacks to do it....It was pretty much already up in the air before i could say anything and it was a situation I didn't want to make ugly due to them putting me right in. Luckily the axles seem fine and I'm not sure what the consensus is on lifting off the axle but its been frowned upon with other vehicles. On the plus side the truck felt super smooth as I pulled away on the surface roads. The vibration was mostly diminished when I got back on the highway but it wasn't totally gone. I suspect that the tires themselves still have some issues after sitting for so long...combined with worn shocks, bushings, and springs its going to be a diminished ride until I can freshen everything up.

Heading North out of Omaha on a depressing overcast day:

IMG_5403-XL.jpg

IMG_5405-XL.jpg

I am currently supporting the Wind Business so its nice to see so many turbines spinning in the midwest...plus its something slightly more interesting to look at than the brown ground and gray sky

IMG_5408-XL.jpg

So long Nebraska...Hello next never ending state
IMG_5409-XL.jpg

Everything looking good here....Turning the steering wheel this much in my Saab 9-5 daily driver would put me in the guard rail :rofl: everything looking good...except the temp gage that doesnt work. I did find the sender wire was broken but after fixing that it still doesn't work. Have not taken time to pull the cluster....spring project.

IMG_5410-XL.jpg

Not many photos from this day. Drove from Lincoln Nebraska to Benton Harbor Michigan a distance of about 600 miles. Several tanks of gas and got into Michigan late at night. It was on this leg that I had my first worrisome issue pop up. I was on the highway running about 65mph and there was a hesitation....a stumble of sorts...the kind of feeling that feels like the engine out of fuel. I pushed in the clutch and observed the engine idle without issue. I played with the throttle and still had good response...but I jumped off the highway at an exit that was right in front of me and filled up with fuel even though I was above half a tank. I looked under the hood, checked my belts, and all my fluids and everything looked fine....and then I tentatively got back on the highway and the truck was ok again. The cooling fan roars like a freight train until about the end of the on ramp and then it quiets down and that was fine too. I had the hesitation issue on and off again all the way home....and I was suspecting debris in the carb...or a fuel pump issue or a dirty fuel filter.

Fast forward to Chicago....I'm running Google Waze app for speed and navigation and I have the route set to no tolls. The app drops me off the interstate and into the outskirts of Chicago and its about 9pm at night iirc. I'm coasting down the off ramp towards a stop sign and the truck hiccups a couple of times. I blip the throttle and it seems fine...and it holds an idle without issue. But now I'm in an area where I don't want to break down and at a time of day when I don't want to break down. Though the truck continued to drive without issue it still was making me very nervous that something bad was going to happen. I pretty much had my breath held until I was back on the interstate. The final 30 or so miles the truck was nerve wracking at best because it was having some serious fueling issue and would stumble a bunch at highway speeds. I did find that if I went full throttle it would clear out...so it was a brisk run to the hotel that night. I think it was that night I found out about the redneck rebuild and though that trick didn't completely solve my issue it did make things a lot better. I also found out about known issues in the EGR system and those are further things to investigate in the future.

On the good side I made it to the hotel without issue, parked and got a good nights sleep.

The 3rd day of my drive home I planned to drive to Centreville Ontario where a friend lives. Its another long day crossing Michigan, entering Canada, Driving across Toronto, and eventually hitting the back roads to his place. I had an early start and predicted an arrival time around 8pm where a cold beer and some hot food were promised as well as good conversation with an old friend.

IMG_5417-XL.jpg

Nice sunny day to get things started. The fuel issue from earlier was much diminished in the morning and I wondered if it were a heat issue. Either way I planned to find a fuel filter. Stopped at a generic parts store and was told there was a fuel filter in Flint that matched the stock unit. I stopped in Flint and picked up the new unit and swapped it in. There was some debris in the old filter so I was feeling good that this might be a solution....alas it was not....but I am sure it didn't hurt. While in Flint I also stopped to fill up the gas tank and when I stopped I noticed some small wisps of steam coming from under the hood. Opening the hood revealed two small leaking heater hoses...one straight piece running from the firewall to a valve on the block and the second a 90 degree bend hose running off this point over to the heater valve. I pondered the reality of running with it as is but the wiser part of my brain kicked in and suggested I fix it. A quick look on the GPS indicated parts stores just down the road. I ended up at an Oreilly's.

IMG_5419-XL.jpg

I spent from about 1pm here until about 4pm taking things apart and removing the old hoses and getting the new ones on. It wasn't a very hard job but it was tedious and seemed to just take forever. Luckily I was at an autoparts store and they had the 90 degree hose and a straight piece for the other. The clamp on the hose by the fire wall was a pain but i was able to buy a wratchet wrench that fit. I'm guessing this hose is one that gets neglected because its such a pain to get to. I got it all back together, refilled any coolant lost, and was on my way....new arrival time predicted for 10-11pm.

Also....lots of compliments by other customers and the second time someone said: "wow you don't see those any more, is that a Bronco?" Yes its a Toyota Bronco.:clap:

Back on the road content that I had probably averted a less than fun roadside repair (though I had enough stuff to fix it if needed). I headed for the border with the sun slowly setting behind me.

IMG_5421-XL.jpg

Living in Vermont I am able to get an Enhanced Drivers License which allows me to walk/Drive across the USA borders with only the license. Getting the license is kind of a pain because you need to bring tons of info proving you live in the state and work in the state etc but you get to leave your passport at home etc. In getting it I thought it might also make border crossings a little easier because I had gone an extra step to get better documentation. This of course didn't make a hoot of difference. This trip I rolled up to the check point and I think I shut off the vehicle. It took a few minutes to explain to the agent that I had flown out to buy the truck and was driving it home..once she understood those details better she relaxed, smiled, complimented me on the truck and said have a nice day.

IMG_5422-XL.jpg

IMG_5423-XL.jpg

Last photo as the sun was going down:

IMG_5424-XL.jpg

The next portion of this drive is tedious. Driving across the city of Toronto is an adventure in any vehicle and even more so in a slower 60. Toronto just never ends...lots of traffic and fast moving and seems to take about an hour to get across. This stretch of the trip took forever. I was due in around 10pm and I didn't get into the drive way until maybe 1am. I had called in to my company tech support to activate the international data plan about an hour from Canada but it never switched on...so I had to drive the way only on memory. I made it to the exit I remembered but this turned out to be one too early. I drove about 50 KM before deciding that things were not looking correct and turned around. I eventually found the other end of the road I was supposed to turn onto and I drove it in the correct direction until it ended at another road....it shouldnt have ended....but of course had I taken a left and gone 500' the road would have continued on the right....I instead went right....made a series of turns afterwards...and through a lot of luck and rough memory of the area finally found the road and the house and dinner and a bed and a fuzzy greeter:

IMG_5428-XL.jpg

The last day;

After sleeping in the next morning I finally emerged to the living and had breakfast with my friend and the dog "Willow". My friend has a really nicely done up VW Westy Camper that he has sunk way too much money into but he loves the 60's as well. So naturally I threw him the keys and we went for a drive so he could try it out. I won't be surprised if he tracks one down in a year or two.

From His place home was another 300 miles or at least 6 hours of driving. The first part of the drive is a drone North on the 401 and then I cross over into USA at the Ogdensburg crossing. This is a nice small crossing that isn't too crowded and allows for a nice drive home through the Adirondack Mountains.

Approaching turn to border...fuel getting low but I decided to hold off on a refill until i was back in the USA where prices were lower.
IMG_5431-XL.jpg

IMG_5432-XL.jpg

The bridge here is a little sketchy because its an iron grate bridge and tires like to dance on the grating.....when its wet it can be even more exciting...and I have been over this on a motorcycle several times and that really gets your attention

IMG_5433-XL.jpg

IMG_5436-XL.jpg

Back in the USA and onto the beautiful Adirondack Mountains. I feel confident in saying that this picture sums up how beautiful the mountains were on my trip through this time.

IMG_5440-XL.jpg

I had to stop to adjust my H4 headlights as they had been aimed way too high. When properly adjusted they were much much better. Even so I still would have liked to have a set of racing lights on the front as the roads twist and turn through the mountains and there is all sorts of wild life that can jump out on you...from fox and raccoon up to deer and moose. Nothing like running a tired suspension rolly polly FJ60 through these roads in the dark....but I made it home without any issues.

The Summary:

The first day I drove my new to me FJ60 was actually the first day I had ever driven a Toyota FJ60 and that was the day I arrived for this trip. I jumped in feet first and here I am.....so these impressions really are from an outsider getting his feet wet for the first time in the Land Cruiser world.

Initial thoughts on my first drive: "s***....what have I done." Followed by "s***.....I have to drive this thing 2400 miles home."

Observations:

1. My engine doesn't really fire to life...its more like a teenager rolling out of bed in the morning. It turns over a time or two and then the cylinders begin moving on their own and the rev counter start to tick faster and faster until it levels off around 1000 rpm and sits there happily forever...assuming there is fuel in the tank.

2. The steering wheel is really really really thin...I mean my hands were tired from holding onto what felt like a piece of wire all day. I now understand all those wrapping kits I see fro the 80's though I'll either put another wheel in or try a suede cover kit.

3. Cruise control would have been really nice to have on a trip like this.

4. The stocks seats are amazingly comfortable and also not at all comfortable. On the one hand I could sit in these seats all day and I didn't suffer any cramps or numb legs or back problems. On the other hand with my seat all the way back my legs were pretty cramped and it was really tiring to hold the gas pedal all day at the angle i had to use. I figured out ways to support my right foot with my left but the stock seats offer 0 leg support for this and I'll certainely do a seat swap at some point.

5. My best gas mileage was almost 17mpg but that was coming out of the rocky mountains with lots of downhill. My average mileage was 14-15 mpg.

6. The truck is really quiet. I mean the engine is quiet and the wind noise is almost nothing....this in itself is like magic given this is a box with wheels.

7. I look forward to driving this when I refresh the suspension, wheels, tires, and steering.

8. My wiring is 100% stock and most of my wiring is on the edge of crumbling into dust. I see a lot of wiring replacement on the horizon.

Things I need to fix:

1. Horn...worked onced so I figure its the horn contact ring
2. backup lights...bulbs are good....wiring or switch
3. windshield washer bottles are both broken
4. Temperature gage doesnt work
5. Carb fan wire is broken
6. Missing the stock tool kit and the spare tire crank.

Overall this is a great truck and a good drive home. Other than the things I can attribute to an old vehicle like the worn suspension and flat spotted tires, I was very happy that I didn't have to call a tow truck or spend a night sleeping in the back on the side of a highway. Right now the truck sits out of the weather and away from any Vermont road salt until next year when the snow is gone. I'll start going through the mechanicals in the spring.

Long term hopes:

1. EFI
2. Small lift kit
3. New tires
4. Seat swap
5. Reseal rain gutters
6. additional lighting
7. 5 speed
8. have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom