H55 install - HJ47 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
hey guys, just after some help. i have brought a 5-speed to go into my hj47 so that she's a little better on the highway. the 5-speed has the j40 top hat on it (yes you read that right, i found one:)), it came out of a bj42. i have a few questions though. firstly:

will i need to change my input shaft? because i run a 12ht and the 5-speed came form a bj42 with a 3b

also, i know that i need to change driveshafts. is the only way to do this to mod them? or is there another series of cruiser that has the length of shafts that i need?

thirdly, i'm not sure about the hand brake. i have to go a different route from stock. can i use 60 series backing plates on my 40 axle and do the handbrake that way?

is there anything that i have overlooked that is going to get in my way? my aim is to have all the bits ready to go so that i can do the swap in a weekend. i need to because my cruiser is a dd. thanks for the help.

because everyone likes a pic:
IMG_20170826_144336.jpg

thirdly, i'm not sure about the hand brake. i have to go a different route from stock. can i use 60 series backing plates on my 40 axle and do the handbrake that way?
I know that the early FJ40 (pre-split transfer case?) rear axles won't accomodate the later brake backing plates with the parking brake provisions, so it depends on what year your HJ47 is. I bought a mid-'80s split transfer case from a BJ45 that has the drum parking brake, it'll be bolted to an H41 from an '84 HJ47 and installed in my '71 FJ40. I think that solution will work best in my case.

B input is fine spline and longer, you will need an h series input. No way around the driveshafts, they need to be shortened and lengthened unless you have an h41 with the spacer? What year is the Ute?

I know that the early FJ40 (pre-split transfer case?) rear axles won't accomodate the later brake backing plates with the parking brake provisions, so it depends on what year your HJ47 is. I bought a mid-'80s split transfer case from a BJ45 that has the drum parking brake, it'll be bolted to an H41 from an '84 HJ47 and installed in my '71 FJ40. I think that solution will work best in my case.

The HJ47 didn't start until the 81 model so he should be good. Easier to just switch the hand brake off his current split case then deal with getting the hand brake to the rear axle.

For some other questions it will need the input shaft changed. Not sure if the H/F input shaft will work on the later diesel. Hopefully it does because 10/85 the five speed changed and believe the earlier and later are different. BJ42 will be earlier. If you can use the H/F input the ones from a H41 8/80 to 10/85 is the same. Easier locating ones of those. But Australia got plenty of 60 series with five speeds. The input is also available on eBay AU.

I don't know of any other vehicle that would use the drivelines you need. Probably easiest to just have yours modified.

thanks for the reply's guys. it is 12/81 production build but definitely an 82 production run (got the later style dash). i have the hand brake provisions on my axle so no dramas there. i also have a 60 series rear axle, but with no backing plates. for the driveshafts, i will do the unis as well. should i get double cardins put on there as well while i'm at it? i'm running a 2 inch spring lift and a 1 inch shackle lift for a bit more than 3 inches total lift.
The HJ47 didn't start until the 81 model so he should be good. Easier to just switch the hand brake off his current split case then deal with getting the hand brake to the rear axle.

For some other questions it will need the input shaft changed. Not sure if the H/F input shaft will work on the later diesel. Hopefully it does because 10/85 the five speed changed and believe the earlier and later are different. BJ42 will be earlier. If you can use the H/F input the ones from a H41 8/80 to 10/85 is the same. Easier locating ones of those. But Australia got plenty of 60 series with five speeds. The input is also available on eBay AU.

I don't know of any other vehicle that would use the drivelines you need. Probably easiest to just have yours modified.
the way it's headed and the 5th gear reliability issues are tending to push me in the overhaul direction, because at least i know that it's good before i install it. i am running the flywheel and stock original clutch from my old 2h. so i think that an early 60 series input shaft would work? i should change the clutch too while i am in there but i am chronic for getting the best and most reliable so i can't afford one right now.

if and when i do rebuilt the gearbox, what should i replace anyway? i know that having a look inside will best determine this.

also can someone confirm, i believe that the 5th gear in the 70 h55's are different to a 60 series. i think that they made them stronger by having more of the gear meshing? does someone know about this? i also believe that it's possible to rebuild the h55 form the 60's with a 70 series 5th gear.

again, appreciate the help, thanks a lot.

also can someone confirm, i believe that the 5th gear in the 70 h55's are different to a 60 series. i think that they made them stronger by having more of the gear meshing? does someone know about this? i also believe that it's possible to rebuild the h55 form the 60's with a 70 series 5th gear.

+1...I've also heard/read this, anyone know if it's fact?

Any input shaft with the correct spline count from 8/80-10/85 from either H41 or H55F should work no matter the model. Doing a little research it's in the early nineties the fifth gear changed in the 70 series. Which makes sense because by then the 60 series was replaced by the 80 series. I just got my H55F from a BJ42. My plan is to find and install the correct F/H input shaft as easily as I can. Then install it. Once I run it will decide what to do. Over all looks pretty good inside. But afraid if I go thru and rebuild then install might find out the gear make noise. Only thing special on the five from a BJ42 is the top cover. Can buy a new five speed and rebuild the top cover with all but two parts from a 60/70 series top cover. All it take is money. Just replacing the input shaft I'm not assuming it's bad or good. Once I drive can decide what I want to do. While having to deal with the input shaft I figure the five from a BJ42 were behind a smaller four cylinder diesel in a lighter vehicle than the 60 series with a six cylinder.

got my 5 speed a couple of days ago. first things i noticed was that the gearbox itself was really clean. so i had a closer look and i saw new gasket sealer poking out here and there. so i had a look inside and it has very recently been gone over with new gears and bearings. S.C.O.R.E.

so... i'm gunna leave it at that. i don't really see the point in rebuilding it again just to throw in some 70 series h55f bits. as @Living in the Past suggested, i will use the input shaft from the h41 that i will remove, and put my 3B input shaft into the h41 and flog it. then i should be good to go. the only problem is though, the lead time on modded drive shafts here is about 1 whole week...... and it's a daily. and iv'e got the truck booked in at the exhaust shop next Friday, and have a trip planned over the break. i do have 2 rear drive shafts tho, so what i'm thinking is, getting someone else (has to be someone out there that's done the same thing as i'm about to), measure up their rear tail-shaft and i'll get one of mine modded before hand. will that work? or am i dreaming too much?

also, in regards to the 70 series h55f bits in the 60 one, i gather that it's this:

70 series gearbox spacer (casing) is 2 mm longer, which is swapped in to make the 5th gear (also 70 series) mesh better with the gear on the shaft.

70 series 5th gear shift folk shaft for the same purpose as above.

also, 2nd or 3rd gear (can't remember which) has known syncro problems, which when the 70 series came out was fixed. so the troublesome gear is replaced with a 70 series one which fixes that problem.

in relation to the 5th gear, the difference on a 60 and 70 5th gear is significant. the grooves are in a different location which is where the gear meshes with the gear on the shaft, i think, pretty much having more of the gear mating. someone that knows gearboxes will understand what i mean and chime in, hopefully:);) hope that helps.

got my 5 speed a couple of days ago. first things i noticed was that the gearbox itself was really clean. so i had a closer look and i saw new gasket sealer poking out here and there. so i had a look inside and it has very recently been gone over with new gears and bearings. S.C.O.R.E.

so... i'm gunna leave it at that. i don't really see the point in rebuilding it again just to throw in some 70 series h55f bits. as @Living in the Past suggested, i will use the input shaft from the h41 that i will remove, and put my 3B input shaft into the h41 and flog it. then i should be good to go. the only problem is though, the lead time on modded drive shafts here is about 1 whole week...... and it's a daily. and iv'e got the truck booked in at the exhaust shop next Friday, and have a trip planned over the break. i do have 2 rear drive shafts tho, so what i'm thinking is, getting someone else (has to be someone out there that's done the same thing as i'm about to), measure up their rear tail-shaft and i'll get one of mine modded before hand. will that work? or am i dreaming too much?

also, in regards to the 70 series h55f bits in the 60 one, i gather that it's this:

70 series gearbox spacer (casing) is 2 mm longer, which is swapped in to make the 5th gear (also 70 series) mesh better with the gear on the shaft.

70 series 5th gear shift folk shaft for the same purpose as above.

also, 2nd or 3rd gear (can't remember which) has known syncro problems, which when the 70 series came out was fixed. so the troublesome gear is replaced with a 70 series one which fixes that problem.

in relation to the 5th gear, the difference on a 60 and 70 5th gear is significant. the grooves are in a different location which is where the gear meshes with the gear on the shaft, i think, pretty much having more of the gear mating. someone that knows gearboxes will understand what i mean and chime in, hopefully:);) hope that helps.

Are you sure all 70 series had the different gear and 2 MM thicker fifth gear housing? Won't make sense since the 60 series is a heavier vehicle than some 70 series. Can't see Toyota making a heavier duty transmissions and not switching to both models. I think it was a post 60 series change. The 79 FJ40 I putting the H55F in is lighter and far from a DD which not really worried about having a heavy fifth gear. Reading post on the H55F I'll be happy as long as it stays in gear.

Are you sure all 70 series had the different gear and 2 MM thicker fifth gear housing? Won't make sense since the 60 series is a heavier vehicle than some 70 series. Can't see Toyota making a heavier duty transmissions and not switching to both models. I think it was a post 60 series change. The 79 FJ40 I putting the H55F in is lighter and far from a DD which not really worried about having a heavy fifth gear. Reading post on the H55F I'll be happy as long as it stays in gear.
yep, on 70's that were later than the 60 series. anyway, 5th gear should be fine if it is treated right and not lugged up hills with trailers behind it.

let me know how this goes, and lots of pics if you can ;) have 2 H55's sitting waiting for me to make them into one to go into my 45. please also if you could take note and post up what your drive shaft dimensions end up as

let me know how this goes, and lots of pics if you can ;) have 2 H55's sitting waiting for me to make them into one to go into my 45. please also if you could take note and post up what your drive shaft dimensions end up as

What year 45? 78 and older is harder then the newer ones. 8/80 is easier and 10/82 is the easiest. I'm still figuring things out for my 79 FJ40. I have the bash plate from a 82 FJ40 and bash plate from a 83 BJ42. The longer bash plate will bolt directly in. If the pre 8/80 frame has the rivets in the location not sure. Still need to check that. Being that the LWB with a five speed is like hen's teeth to find think a longer bash plate would be just as hard. The crossmember L brackets are different between the SWB and LWB. Driveshafts would think would need to be modified the difference in lengths between the four speed and five speed. Because of the plate on the back of the four speed not being there on the five speed it not that much longer. I need to locate the driveshafts from the 82 SWB with a four speed so I can compare them to the ones from a 83 SWB with a five speed. Over the years have collected a number of parts from non-US market 4X series. This with help from a member in Australia finally able to get a five speed correct cover. I certainly don't know a lot about converting to a five speed will share any information I've learned in the last few years.

I have a 82 BJ42 with 4 speed if you let me know what the 5 speed tail shaft lengths are i can measure them for you.
I fitted a 5 speed to my 71 FJ40 and it was a tight fit at the rear crossmember.
So if i want to upgrade my H4* 4 speed in my BJ42 to a 5 speed i can use a 2F H55 gearbox and swap over the input shaft to suit the 3B?

yep will do. it won't be happening to next weekend though because i have an exhaust shop doing my exhaust on Friday. atm the moment it's just running the dump pipe.
What year 45? 78 and older is harder then the newer ones. 8/80 is easier and 10/82 is the easiest. I'm still figuring things out for my 79 FJ40. I have the bash plate from a 82 FJ40 and bash plate from a 83 BJ42. The longer bash plate will bolt directly in. If the pre 8/80 frame has the rivets in the location not sure. Still need to check that. Being that the LWB with a five speed is like hen's teeth to find think a longer bash plate would be just as hard. The crossmember L brackets are different between the SWB and LWB. Driveshafts would think would need to be modified the difference in lengths between the four speed and five speed. Because of the plate on the back of the four speed not being there on the five speed it not that much longer. I need to locate the driveshafts from the 82 SWB with a four speed so I can compare them to the ones from a 83 SWB with a five speed. Over the years have collected a number of parts from non-US market 4X series. This with help from a member in Australia finally able to get a five speed correct cover. I certainly don't know a lot about converting to a five speed will share any information I've learned in the last few years.
i have two rear driveshafts. i have one that has a big dent in the pipe and is horribly out of balance. i will probably end up installing the h55f and cutting up my bad driveshaft and welding it and run it while i get the good ones modified.
I have a 82 BJ42 with 4 speed if you let me know what the 5 speed tail shaft lengths are i can measure them for you.
could you please measure your 4-speed tail shafts? SWB 4-speed might fit a 5-speed LWB. might.
I fitted a 5 speed to my 71 FJ40 and it was a tight fit at the rear crossmember.
So if i want to upgrade my H4* 4 speed in my BJ42 to a 5 speed i can use a 2F H55 gearbox and swap over the input shaft to suit the 3B?
yes u can, provided that the h55f is the early model (pre 10/85 i think). i am going to be doing the exact reverse of what you will be doing. do you have a Toyota service manual? it makes life a lot easier i have found, many times:);)

the gearbox as it is: i will be putting the PTO box on my h55f.
IMG_20171202_091135.jpg

the 3b input shaft: i will be able to put that into my 4-speed and the 4-speed input shaft into the 5-speed

IMG_20171202_091048.jpg

the gearbox as it is: i will be putting the PTO box on my h55f.View attachment 1584274
the 3b input shaft: i will be able to put that into my 4-speed and the 4-speed input shaft into the 5-speed

View attachment 1584275

That looks like a H55F from a BJ60 or BJ70. Shift cane is further forward on the BJ42/BJ46.

What PTO are you going to use? Believe the one from the 60/70 series are one direction and will rotate backwards from what I read lately. The Winch itself from the 60/70 series has the worm gear going the opposite sit way.
I can help with measurements from the SWB five speed driveshafts. I have both four and five speed driveshafts. Believe main large tube should be the only part that is different. Hate to measure flange to flange on a collapsible piece. Lift and spring sag could change that measurement.

That looks like a H55F from a BJ60 or BJ70. Shift cane is further forward on the BJ42/BJ46.

What PTO are you going to use? Believe the one from the 60/70 series are one direction and will rotate backwards from what I read lately. The Winch itself from the 60/70 series has the worm gear going the opposite sit way.
I can help with measurements from the SWB five speed driveshafts. I have both four and five speed driveshafts. Believe main large tube should be the only part that is different. Hate to measure flange to flange on a collapsible piece. Lift and spring sag could change that measurement.
better not be. or it's going back from where it came from. they sold the bj42 5-speed to me. besides Australia never got the bj60. defiantly had a 3b bell housing on it too. and it was stuck on there, so presume that it wasn't just slapped on. now you've got me worried.
i do have the correct PTO box, if the transfer is indeed form a bj42. i did make sure of that, but thanks for mentioning it anyway.
Had a measure of tail shafts flange to flange H41, BJ42, 82 model
Front 735mm
Rear 580mm
I have the FSM but post heaps of pictures of the input shaft replacement gearbox rebuild would be great.
thanks heaps. i'll post some more pics for you later.

Can anyone confirm if that is a 40 top plate? From memory, that seems to look more like a 60 series one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom