200 Series or 79 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I need some help here in deciding my next car

Me and my partner are traveling Australia we just brought a 23fr caravan and need something decent to pull it

I've narrowed down to a v8 79 or a v8 200

Only thing is I'm picky

If I did get a 79 it will need to be dual Cab chassis with Auto Conversion

If it was 200 series id want it to be cut back to a ute

And if possible get the front IFS converted to Solid Axle

My main question is with the 200 series have any been sas converted I cannot for the life of me find anything on the internet

I own a 2006 Hilux at the moment and I know that buds customs make a solid axle swap for them

If anyone could help with that and also what would be better in the long run to tow with that would be great !

We in the States are jealous of your options! I have never seen a solid axle swap on a 200 either (in person or on the internet).... you could be the first!!

Coulda sworn I've seen that Slee did one.

The Slee truck is not your typical 7x. It's actually cobbled together from several models. One of a kind.

I think Slee's is a fabricobbled 80 series frame with a 70 body. I could be wrong though.

That being said, 79 is a great platform if you know what you're getting into. It's not super comfy vehicle like the 200 is that'll soak up the miles. But, from what I understand, the 200 over there comes with the venerable TT diesel V8. I'd do terrible things for a 79 over here, assuming it wasn't my daily driver. Whereas the 200 can be an off-roader and daily driver. But it's a heavy bitch. My semi-armored 200 is 7300# (or 3300 kilos in kangaroo weight)

Sorry, I meant a solid axle on a 200 series. Maybe I'm imagining it. I know he did a 100, maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Sorry, I meant a solid axle on a 200 series. Maybe I'm imagining it. I know he did a 100, maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Ah. That was a crazy huge solid front axle custom 100 series monster Slee built that they called the “Blueberry,”

I know that HEMA Maps (OZ group) were struggling with a similar choice. They ended up going with the TTD 200 series, but left the front IFS and mentioned that the 7x series cause greater driver fatigue and they wanted to be able to drive farther without so much exhaustion. I regularly take my stock standard 200 into the bush, say twice a month for 3-7 days a time and it handles these rough Angolan tracks far better than the 70's, at least from a comfort POV. Similarly equipped (lockers, lift, tires) it'll do just about everything the 7x's will do but you'll enjoy the added comfort doing it!

Isn’t IFS the best of both worlds and very reliable in the LC. I believe a forum member who races the Baja 1000 has IFS in his race truck.

Yes, Slee did an SAS 100 series for a customer who I believe was heading on a grand expedition to Alaska. Typical fantastic Slee work from the boys in the shop there! If anyone has done a 200 SAS, Christo Slee would likely know of it- perhaps he will post up when he sees this.

Yes, Slee did an SAS 100 series for a customer who I believe was heading on a grand expedition to Alaska. Typical fantastic Slee work from the boys in the shop there! If anyone has done a 200 SAS, Christo Slee would likely know of it- perhaps he will post up when he sees this.

I think the Blueberry belonged to the shop.
Here it is in all its glory:

9cbef1721eed6ec803bb01651492dd9e--slee-cars-and-trucks.jpg

Pretty sure they ended up selling it some years ago...and also have a front bumper named after the bumper they fabricated for it.
Still called the Blueberry:

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 4.20.53 PM.png

I recommend this:

Joking aside, why the want for a solid front axle? I get why people might have done it for the 100-series, having fresh come off the 80-series solid axles all around. But I think Toyota has proven the capability and durability of IFS. With the 200-series being the strongest implementation of them all.

I recommend this:

Joking aside, why the want for a solid front axle? I get why people might have done it for the 100-series, having fresh come off the 80-series solid axles all around. But I think Toyota has proven the capability and durability of IFS. With the 200-series being the strongest implementation of them all.

Why solid axles = Articulation.

Isn’t IFS the best of both worlds and very reliable in the LC. I believe a forum member who races the Baja 1000 has IFS in his race truck.
@cruiseroutfit should be able to elaborate on this....

@cruiseroutfit should be able to elaborate on this....

We (Canguro Racing) do run a 200 Series in the Baja 1000 and have has great luck with the IFS setup, it's quite stalwart and provides a fantastic ride. In addition I personally travel in a US spec 200 and have driven a 78/79 Series across 5 continents (Expeditions7) including a few runs across Australia. If I were to do the trip again, I'd want to do it in a 200. My 2 cents.

The old school G wagon is adopting IFS for its next model year plus adding 4” in additional width. I’m looking forward to see how it will compare to the 200.

Ahh, now it's all coming together. I was wondering if you knew Scott Brady, and now it's clear that you know him very well! The Expedition's 7 was a fun read. I'd have loved to be on that. Do you mind if I message you some fuel questions regarding the 1VD?

Ahh, now it's all coming together. I was wondering if you knew Scott Brady, and now it's clear that you know him very well! The Expedition's 7 was a fun read. I'd have loved to be on that. Do you mind if I message you some fuel questions regarding the 1VD?

Not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom