91 Shifting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi

Just baught a 91 that's been sitting for
12 years

Put a new tank and fuel pump and is starting .

Won't shift into gear and grinds when
I shift back into park ??

Any direction would be great !!

Thanks

A few ideas:
How's the transmission fluid level? If it's very low, truck won't move. Did the truck move forward and/or reverse in L?
If so, the front drive line flanges are stripped. If it didn't move, I would start on checking the shift linkage on the transmission and transfer case.

Classic stripped drive plate symptoms. Remove the caps on the drive plates, have a helper hold the brake, shift into gear and see which stub axle is turning. If that is the problem, locking the CDL will allow it to be driven.

Yes truck move F and R in Low!

Sweet thanks!!!

What's the first step with fixing stripped drive line?

Thanks!!!

upload_2017-10-23_9-14-33.png
This is what the drive flange looks like BTW

hi

Just baught a 91 that's been sitting for
12 years

Put a new tank and fuel pump and is starting .

Won't shift into gear and grinds when
I shift back into park ??

Any direction would be great !!

Thanks
So while you were replacing the fuel tank, did you remember to reinstall the rear drive shaft? We're all assuming you've got both front and rear drive shafts istalled.

Yes both are installed I never took apart
To put tank in . I definitely should have!

Thanks the help!

Hi thanks for all the help

Just wanted to know what next step would be as it does drive in L F and R

The picture posted is the wheel and I'm looking at the drive line?

Wasn't shure front or rear changing the drive flange?

Thanks sgain

So, it's the RF drive flange? Have you removed it, confirmed that the splines are stripped, how are the splines on the birf?

Hi

I popped the caps off On the front right
There was a bolt with a washer in the birf?

There is no snap ring tried to pull out
An won't come out far enough to put snap ring on?

Thanks

When put in gear, with the CDL off, does the shaft spin in the plate? Sounds like a birf and plate mismatch, pic would help.

Other side has the clip in

I did put it in drive in H with foot on brake and nothing spun birf where the bolt was?

Do u think that's the issue with not going in 4 H ?

Thanks alot

OK, what works and doesn't? Does it have a CDL switch? If it doesn't move with the CDL unlocked, something is broken/stripped, drive isn't reaching all of the wheels. If it wont move with the CDL unlocked, have a helper hold the brake, slightly accelerate, like trying to drive, look under the truck, is one of the drive shafts turning (most often the front). If one is turning that is the end where the problem is. If it is the front, look at the birf ends (where the bolt/clip is) they should not be turning, should be spline connected to the plates.

If something is stripped, be careful, when the CDL is unlocked, Park will not work, the truck could roll at anytime.

Ok cool did the test I do not have a cdl button

Definitely the front spinning rear not spinning .

As far as the birf spinning ? The side where the birf and plate are miss matched do I take the Calipers and Roters off ? Am I in the right spot?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom