275/70R16 vs 285/75R16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info, buying tires is a tough choice!

It sure is but at the same time great because we have sooooo many choices. If you want a good road tire and descent off-road also check out cooper discovery, they are really awesome also.

It sure is but at the same time great because we have sooooo many choices. If you want a good road tire and descent off-road also check out cooper discovery, they are really awesome also.

Will do, that's for the tip

Everyone else's research here on MUD lead me to LT285/75-16 on a med lift. The new speedo gear mod adj the speed near perfect.
The current reviews on the web lead me to Kumho AT51s, for the money conscious.
Which are found currently on sale @ Sears for < $150 ea. Installed @ < $740... YMMV :smokin:

All other considerations got me close to $1K+ ...:hmm:

What is the "new speedo gear mod" ?

I really like my 285 75 16 Toyo Open Country AT II on my 97 (stock suspension). They are incredibly good in mud or on pavement.65,000 warranty too

View attachment 1558187
I live in NE bama near Chattanooga-have you noticed any of the power loss climbing all the hills and steep grades around here?
see where people say you lose power and braking when you go with bigger tires-thanks

I live in NE bama near Chattanooga-have you noticed any of the power loss climbing all the hills and steep grades around here?
see where people say you lose power and braking when you go with bigger tires-thanks

With Clingman's Dome the highest point in TN at 6,643' you're miostly well under the altitudes that have the greatest effects on performance.

Ok got it
So power loss is related to altitude
Will be making trips out west in spring and over the big mountains in Colorado and Montana and lots of it on gravel roads but can stand a little loss of power then
Just think I want an E rated all terrain tire cause I climb hills just on my property here and my Michelin Ltx spin
Thanks

Ok got it
Will be making trips out west in spring and over the big mountains in Colorado and Montana and lots of it on gravel roads but can stand a little loss of power then
Just think I want an E rated all terrain tire cause I climb hills just on my property here and my Michelin Ltx spin
Thanks

Yeah, the Rockies are a whole different matter. You will definitely notice the loss of power with altitude there. Keep in mind that Low Range makes a big difference when off road, but can also help if on road if you've done the 7 Pin mod that allows selection of Low without engaging the CDL.

Tread matters more off road than having an E rated tire. However, adjusting PSI will make a substantial difference in on road ride quality, as well as airing down lower when off road.

Ok got it
Thanks
No, power loss is NOT just related to altitude.

Stock tire size is about 31" diameter.

The tires you are proposing are about 33" diameter. You will notice an apparent loss of power because i takes more torque to turn a taller tire. Also, the tires are heavier, which also takes more torque to turn more mass.

Braking is affected similarly. It takes more brake pressure to slow down the mass rolling on a taller fulcrum (taller tire). The effect of power loss and braking loss becomes more apparent with the taller the tire. Those folks on 39" tires will see a huge difference in "loss of power" (unless they change gearing) because they are trying to turn more mass on a taller fulcrum with the same gearing setup.

All that said, going to the 285/75-16 tires will only have a minor effect. That is the size I DD. When you couple the taller tires with increase in elevation, then you will feel it even more.

Go bigger tires and either change gearing or add a turbo or both and then you'll never notice other than the huge smile on your face!

Sounds like a lot more on-road than off-road driving. 255/85 16 and be done with it.
Yeah they are special order (at least around here) but they should be the best of both worlds.
And go E-rate as well, if you intend on off-roading out West. Thick sidewalls are what you're after, especially if you air down. Very pointy rocks out here.
I migrated from GA to CO. And I can tell you mud tires are NOT the best option, nor are they absolutely necessary - as they would be in the SE.
There just isn't the clay or the mushy top soil here in CO. It's more like a hard, brown sandpaper surface. Outside of snowfall, anything with weight can get great grip no matter the tire.
And when snowfall is factored in, a heavily-siped A/T is as good as any mud tire. Mainly because you end up putting chains on anyway and THAT negates the tread pattern, making all tires equal (more or less).
So lean towards on-road performance by and large, and get some chains for best off road performance.

FYI-I called Mickey Thompson yesterday and had an AMAZING talk with Nick who listened to what I wanted and then took all specs on the cruiser and OEM tire recommendations and did some incredible calculations and he said that the MT 265/75R16 would be best since I want to keep close to stock size-I can get the Deegan 38 AT RWL and the tire is just 41 lbs 2lbs off stock-10mm narrower and slightly taller-same sidewall design as the 285LT just not the weight or height which i think will be better long term as I just need a tire good for dirt and gravel roads and pavement-not going rock crawling-have my old 98 Cherokee for that- if anybody has any tire ?'s- Nick is the best guy I have ever talked to about tires and I have been in the car biz all my life-auctions-dealerships-body shops-repair shops-parts-this guy knows tires like no other!!!
Thanks for all the input-have always looked at this forum but never been a part of it-I am learning a lot about cruisers from everyone and I appreciate it.
Now if I can just figure out how to raise the height of the front of my drivers seat so It has more lift in the front-need it to lift my legs a little more off the floor to make it more comfortable on my back-I hear the sounds of Deer season this am and it sounds good. Better wear my orange when I go out.

No, power loss is NOT just related to altitude.

Stock tire size is about 31" diameter.

The tires you are proposing are about 33" diameter. You will notice an apparent loss of power because i takes more torque to turn a taller tire. Also, the tires are heavier, which also takes more torque to turn more mass.

Tire size does matter here. That said, having personally gone from the stock Michelins to 33s, the difference is virtually unnoticeable on the 80. Bigger than 33s? Then yeah, something to think deeper about.

Also as others have noted, the 80 was frequently sold (and probably designed for) running 33 in many other markets. IIRC, the Michelins were probably the shortest tire that the 80 series rolled out of the showroom on worldwide. And the 33 is a much more capable tire and well worth any perceived loss of power, presuming you even notice it.

Tire size does matter here. That said, having personally gone from the stock Michelins to 33s, the difference is virtually unnoticeable on the 80. Bigger than 33s? Then yeah, something to think deeper about.

Also as others have noted, the 80 was frequently sold (and probably designed for) running 33 in many other markets. IIRC, the Michelins were probably the shortest tire that the 80 series rolled out of the showroom on worldwide. And the 33 is a much more capable tire and well worth any perceived loss of power, presuming you even notice it.

Although I don't notice it now I do recall a difference early on when going from stock size to 285/75/16 tires. In my case they are BFG KO2's with a E load rating so they weighed quite a bit more than stock and the cruiser felt more sluggish on hills and more heavy in general.

The point I'm making is that the increased weight of the tire will also slow things down a bit, its not just the change in overall gear ratio from the larger diameter.

I do agree that the 33" size is a major step up from stock and is a nice compromise between on road driving and most off road driving. As much as I like the look of 35"+ tires I can't justify them for my needs.

Although I don't notice it now I do recall a difference early on when going from stock size to 285/75/16 tires. In my case they are BFG KO2's with a E load rating so they weighed quite a bit more than stock and the cruiser felt more sluggish on hills and more heavy in general.

The point I'm making is that the increased weight of the tire will also slow things down a bit, its not just the change in overall gear ratio from the larger diameter.

You're at 3600 feet in Bend, OR, so yes, probably noticeable there. Here at 800', not so much.

There's also a difference between noticing a change and it being performance factor. As you noted, whatever change is incremental. Yours seems more significant than my experience, so I wouldn't dismiss it. On the other hand, it wouldn't change my purchasing decision to go lo 33s. The little I did notice was strictly when I started tipping in the throttle, which is where you'd notice the extra weight most. Once rolling, I think the bigger factor to consider is MPG. If anything, the 33s slightly helped with that, which some others have also noted. There was no noticeable MPG loss in any case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom