FJ62 Dual Battery Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question... I want to run a dual battery setup in my FJ62 and was wondering for others that have done it where they relocated the "Air Silencer" (Part #17301B Below). Or if I even need to move it, or if you recommend I just desmog

Thanks,
W
fj62 air injection.JPG

some people have removed the silencer entirely and replaced it with a small air filter.

I recommend the desmog. You can keep your cats if you want, but get rid of the EGR, smog pump, and silencer. If your FJ62 is like mine then:

• The EGR system is chocked full of carbon deposits and not running well
  • The NLA check valve that your smog pump pushes air into will crumble to dust when you try to service it
  • The smog pump itself will eventually fail which could result in damage to your engine or the other components driven by the belt

The best part is that you will still pass a tailpipe emissions test so it's not like you really need those components anyway.

Thanks guys, looking through some old threads it looks like I'll just go with removing the silencer and leave it at that.

Still think I'll do the desomg one day, just not today...

If you hook 3 silencers in "series" your truck will sound like a Prius. JS:hillbilly:

I just de-smogged because this truck will never leave Oregon. :smokin:

BTW...............I have an extra Blue Sea 5511E dual circuit plus switch here I can make you a deal on if you haven't bought one yet. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I'm driving to Argentina right now and I'm doing the same which means my access to tools and equipment is very limited.

I'm planning on taking off the silencer and the radiator overflow tank. I'll eventually make new brackets for them and mount them somewhere else. I am a bit worried though for the overflow tank. Will the heat from the engine damage it if it gets close?
IMG_20171213_075832.jpg

I think any of the places that you would "need" to relocate it to would not be to hot. You have options, especially if you do the de-smog. I will post a picture of mine later today or tomorrow. I'm in Cally, so I have to keep my smog crap!

I removed the air silencer and installed a stock battery tray on the driver's side. I relocated the radiator overflow to the passenger side fender behind the air intake near the passenger firewall.

I used a blue sea 7622 relay and blue sea circuit breakers. The blue sea circuit breakers are made by eaton and can be purchased for around $39 on waytekwire. The blue sea ones everywhere else are marked up inappropriately.

This is the one I used for the each battery. Switchable and good quality. I see people using really cheap circuit breakers on $40,000+ vehicles and it baffles me.
EATON's Bussmann Series 187150P-03-1 Circuit Breaker | Waytek

111.JPG

I removed the air silencer and installed a stock battery tray on the driver's side. I relocated the radiator overflow to the passenger side fender behind the air intake near the passenger firewall.

I used a blue sea 7622 relay and blue sea circuit breakers. The blue sea circuit breakers are made by eaton and can be purchased for around $39 on waytekwire. The blue sea ones everywhere else are marked up inappropriately.

This is the one I used for the each battery. Switchable and good quality. I see people using really cheap circuit breakers on $40,000+ vehicles and it baffles me.
EATON's Bussmann Series 187150P-03-1 Circuit Breaker | Waytek

View attachment 1591935
Nice, well done. Here a couple of mine as promised. Full install credit goes to @orangefj45 Thank you!!

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

Hi guys, thanks for the pictures! So I drove around Panama City for a couple of hours yesterday and after a lot of bargaining (I hardly speak Spanish), I managed to find a battery tray and something I think I can make into a support arm.

The hostel where I'm at, allowed me to borrow a drill. So in a few moments I'll start. Will post pictures later so you know how it went. Cross your fingers

I've got a bad sunburn, I'm dirty as hell, I had to stay another night at the hostel to keep borrowing their tools but it's done! The wooden cabinet is how it used to look.

IMG_20171217_112605.jpg
IMG_20171217_112913.jpg
IMG_20171217_123055.jpg
IMG_20171217_153432.jpg
IMG_20171217_123425.jpg

As I begin my dual battery setup, I truly appreciate all the pics in this thread. Really helping me with a plan to tackle mine.

Cheers and beers.

I have an extra one of those Blue Sea dial switches if anyone needs one. Brand new never installed. PM me. I'm about to go through my parts bins to sell a few things.

Last edited:
Alright ... what is this and where do I move it?

referencing the cylindrical looking thing close to the drivers side sidewall near the headlight.

942B3BB5-65EE-46CE-AD60-CF365EC7AE8E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom