loss in power after towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I picked up a 2200lb travel trailer and pulled it with our bj60 non-turbo. Though it was mostly flat towing on the high way I did eventually make it home, didn't really achieve hywy speeds as it was about 10km under.
Previious to this the truck could operate nicely in top gear even on hills.
Now afer the trailer towing I have to gear down from 5 to 3 on some hills.

Thinking I over stressed the motor and am wondering what parts ?
Can it be repaired to it's peppy past ?

Might just be a fueling issue? Maybe start with the fuel filter?

Seems like my answer to everything...

A compression check will tell you what shape your motor is in.

Could be as simple as a fuel or air restriction. after towing and pushing it hard and having sudden symptoms come on i would be leaning towards head gasket failure. That said don't just tear into it, start with the simple suff.

You will need a compression gauge that goes above 500psi.

Last edited:
Thinking I over stressed the motor and am wondering what parts ?

If you were gentle I cant see it doing any harm. But if its done 500000klms it might be getting tired.

If you damaged anything like the rings or valves it would be smoking

Last edited:
If there is a small hole in the diaphragm in your injector pump. This could be an issue as I lost about 30-40% of my power when there was a rip in mine. PITA to change it out in a 60 series 3b. I took the injector pump off to do mine.

If there is a small hole in the diaphragm in your injector pump. This could be an issue as I lost about 30-40% of my power when there was a rip in mine. PITA to change it out in a 60 series 3b. I took the injector pump off to do mine.

Was your idle high or bouncing when that happened? Usually that causes a high idle.

Was your idle high or bouncing when that happened? Usually that causes a high idle.

It was a long time ago and I can't remember. Too much of the sticky icky for this guy.:smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom