OEM rear locker in 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read quite a few threads with people bringing in OEM parts from other regions.

Has anyone brought in the OEM e-locking rear differential carrier and assorted parts to add to a US Spec LC?

I am assuming that the housing, spline count, etc... between the US Spec rear diff and the OEM rear locking ones are the same. If that is incorrect of course this wouldn't work. Perhaps the wiring harness is ready to go in the US Spec vehicles so an OEM switch can be plugged into a the gauge cluste wiring giving you the same indication an non-US OEM e-locked truck gets.

At least for the moment Terrain Tamer doesn't have an e-locker for a 2016+. I understand there were some changes in the 2016+ diffs so that ARBs and Nittos don't go in without swapping to a pre '16 case. So, I figured an OEM locker would be an easier solution in a 16+, and possibly cheaper.

Plus, the OEM Toyota e-lockers performed well in the 100 series so I figured they'd do so as well in the 200. Also, the idea of OEM integration into the dash, gauge cluster and wiring harness appeals to me. Sourcing it might be a pain. However, if it is something that can be done maybe it can be sourced out of Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America easier than Australia or the Middle East.

EDITED:
If the e-locker is available in Mexico you could easily cross the border in Texas, California or Arizona, walk into a dealership, buy one, and come back with it under your arm.

Cd. Juarez, which is across the border from El Paso has 2 Toyota dealerships. Tiajuana, which is minutes from San Diego has 1. Matamoros, which is across the street from Brownsville, has 2 dealerships. Nogales, which is 90 minutes south of Tucson, has 1 dealership...

Last edited:
At least for the moment Terrain Tamer doesn't have an e-locker for a 2016+. I understand there were some changes in the 2016+ diffs so that ARBs and Nittos don't go in without swapping to a pre '16 case. So, I figured an OEM locker would be an easier solution in a 16+, and possibly cheaper.

Plus, the OEM Toyota e-lockers performed well in the 100 series so I figured they'd do so as well in the 200. Also, the idea of OEM integration into the dash, gauge cluster and wiring harness appeals to me. Sourcing it might be a pain. However, if it is something that can be done maybe it can be sourced out of Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America easier than Australia or the Middle East. If the e-locker is available in Mexico you could easily cross the border in California, Arizona or New Mexico, walk into a dealership, buy one, and come back with it under your arm.

Fair enough. It'll be quite pricey going oem.

I know @wardharris said he's putting the TT stuff in his '18 so the' 16+ issue might have an easier solution soon.

Our elocker fits 2016+ rear axles, it just requires a pre 2016 carrier. Cost of a used carrier out of a salvage yard around $300 +/-

Call me if you have questions at 800-224-7801, option 3.

:cheers:

Project 200

@bjowett Brian has run this down some, 9.5" elocked 32 spline thirds, factory 4.30 geared, larger diameter pinion spline are available from Toyota USA. Apparently our shafts already splined to accept the elocker as well. Just need to notch the housing and change out some studs i think he stated. Would need to regear your front diff to 4.30 or mated with a tundra 4.30 front diff.

I installed a factory 4.30 e-locker in my wife's 200. You can source these through any Toyota Dealer... the lockers for the 100 Series Land Cruiser supersedes out to the the locker installed in foreign market 200 Series. The 200 axle shafts already have the extended splines for the locking dog collar to slide on. The axle housing needs to be slightly notched, and then the locker wired in. I have not completed that part of the project. The 4WD ECU in the North American spec 200 has the same part number as the 4WD ECU in some of the foreign market 200s with factory lockers... so it may operate the locker, but none of the wiring exists. There are a couple pics of the locker install somewhere in my build thread, link below.

Project 200

@bjowett Brian has run this down some, 9.5" elocked 32 spline thirds, factory 4.30 geared, larger diameter pinion spline are available from Toyota USA. Apparently our shafts already splined to accept the elocker as well. Just need to notch the housing and change out some studs i think he stated. Would need to regear your front diff to 4.30 or mated with a tundra 4.30 front diff.

Does that use a OEM e-locker from something else, like a Tundra or a 100?

Cool! I check out your build thread.

Thank you for answering my questions about where the locker comes from and whether the wiring is there.

Too bad Toyota doesn't just use 1 wiring harness for the 200.

EDITED- Love the build on your 2009.

Last edited:

Plus, the OEM Toyota e-lockers performed well in the 100 series so I figured they'd do so as well in the 200. Also, the idea of OEM integration into the dash, gauge cluster and wiring harness appeals to me. Sourcing it might be a pain. However, if it is something that can be done maybe it can be sourced out of Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America easier than Australia or the Middle East.

EDITED:
If the e-locker is available in Mexico you could easily cross the border in Texas, California or Arizona, walk into a dealership, buy one, and come back with it under your arm.

Cd. Juarez, which is across the border from El Paso has 2 Toyota dealerships. Tiajuana, which is minutes from San Diego has 1. Matamoros, which is across the street from Brownsville, has 2 dealerships. Nogales, which is 90 minutes south of Tucson, has 1 dealership...

In my VDJ200 I think I saw a plug for the factory "magic dial" diff locker switch tucked away behind the switch panel on the right hand side of the steering wheel. If that is indeed for the dial switch, then it might be prewired. In the 80 it is also prewired for the switch, with the harness leading to the passenger side kick panel to plug into the factory diff locker ECU, and all it takes to light up the diff lock light in the cluster is to ground a wire in the kick panel harness using a relay.

If I ever get a diff locker for the 200 it would definitely be a Harrop Eaton E-locker. I have them on my 80 and love 'em!

I got the rear Harrop last year and love it... so much that the front is going in later this year.

I got the rear Harrop last year and love it... so much that the front is going in later this year.
THANKS! We like to hear that stuff...... :)

upload_2017-9-15_8-36-7.png

I'll note again that Toyota's latest factory optional e-locker for the "new" Tacoma appears to be based on the the Eaton/Harrop/TT design. While I still enjoy the old style Toyota mechanical e-locker, as do many others, the move by Toyota to the newer design speaks volumes for quality and durability of the units.

Thanks, Brian. When I was in Melbourne I saw a new Ford Ranger on the lift (as we will receive in USA) and the Ford elocker was also fully enclosed a la Harrop/Eaton and the new Toyota. No external actuator motor, rod, relay, etc. - very clean, simple and durable.

That external actuator motor and such was the bane of the 80 series Toyota E-lockers. In Europe and much of Africa the rear actuator would go bad and they are expensive! I had to have mine 'rebuilt' once. Not fun.

Oh yes, being a former 80 Series owner, I'm familiar with the issue. Running the tiny actuator breather into the cab is the answer. Aisin finally offers the actuators via the aftermarket now, still a little pricey at $400+ USD.

Are any of these e-lockers compatible with the LX and are they bolt on or do you have to do some custom work?

The LX is same as LC 200, so both the refit OEM unit and the Harrop/Eaton should fit just fine.....

What year is your truck? LC/LX Series 2016+ model years require replacement of the rear diff carrier from a pre-2016 vehicle

Some videos and related content at www.YotaLockers.com

Feel free to PM / call with questions. We stock elockers and install kits.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom