Should I swap to a gear reduction starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
So the starter is dying in my 78' 40. I'm looking for as little down time as possible. I'm trying to use her as my DD this summer in Portland which means I only have about a month and a half left....

What "extras" do I need to get if I go with the GR starter? Is it as easy as clipping a wire and soldering on a new connection? I am by no means an auto electrician....

Thanks in advance!

Yes you should. I run them even on 64 and 67 fj45's.

I switched to a gear reduction starter about 6 months ago. Works well. Starts great now. I was having heat soak issues so I upgraded the gauge of my battery cables and when I installed the new starter I rotated the starter so it was as far from the engine as possible. No more heat soak issues.

It's an easy switch-over...You'll have to change your tag-line though....

"78 40 bought it completely stock and it will stay that way,"

I would have to change the sig line!!

What is required for the swap? I'm assuming it's not plug and play.

One of the easiest and best upgrades I've made to my '75. It installs easier than stock because of the smaller size. Do it!

Fantastic! So no cutting and soldering connectors. Even better!

Can someone provide a part # for the GR starter that will work for my 78' 40?

I love my local parts guys but they usually bat around 300 when I don't have a part number....

I went to Napa for mine. You have a connection on the old starter that a wire connects to and puts 12 volts to your coil for start up (bypasses the ballast resistor). That isn't on the gear reducer starter, so you will have a orphaned wire there. The rest is plug and play. I wired in a relay that allows 12 volts to the coil for start-up. It was straight forward and simple...

Just to throw this out there- You're fj40 will sound like a Honda Civic while it's cranking.

Well, darn it!! You guys made me go and spend more money on my 40. And now I'm gonna have to change my sig line as well.

This little beauty will go in tomorrow! I'll let everyone know how things go after I get it sorted tomorrow.

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG

Put the 60 starter on my F engine 40. Works well and doesn't sound that much different. At least I know I can get a replacement if I need it, the 40 starter is now very hard to find even manufactured.

or a stock 81+ FJ40

good news is that new GR will last for a very very long time

Your 40 won't sound like a Honda. It will sound like a 60!

Houston we have a problem.

Connector on GR stater is different than starter I just pulled. See photos below. "Old" starter that I just pulled has 2 connections plus the battery posts.

One is a spade connector. The spade connector is black with white strip.

The other connector is a bullet connector and the wire is smaller in diameter but appears to be black with white stripe as well.

This was my concern with this little project! Can someone point me in the right direction to get the proper connector? And when I get the connector which of the current wires I have do I connect it to?

Thanks everyone!

image.jpg

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG

Stick with the Denso, if possible. Between the PO and I, my FJ60 went through 5 NAPA starters in 2.5 years, in late 90s, until I bought a reman at the dealer. I finally got cash back from NAPA, so credit to them for not stiffing me on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom