More Cup Holders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bottom plane is closest to level, but i think it slopes upward slightly towards the front. That bend looks pretty stock. No science involved here, so it's probably not too helpful. But if you were to push the back end down about 1/2 an inch, you'd wouldn't be too far from the mounted orientation of that console.

The bottom plane is closest to level, but i think it slopes upward slightly towards the front. That bend looks pretty stock. No science involved here, so it's probably not too helpful. But if you were to push the back end down about 1/2 an inch, you'd wouldn't be too far from the mounted orientation of that console.
So if I understand you; neither the top nor bottom are horizontal? I was hopeful to have one of those planes horizontal so I could build the cup holders off that level plane and ensure they sat level in the car. This is going to be challenge if neither are level. Does anyone have an angle finder they can put on this console and let me know what angle this console sits when in the vehicle?

if the angle is slight enough, i wouldnt try and counter rake the cupholder so that the drinks are level. 40's tend to lean to one side anyway so i dont think its ever going to be dead level. i just got my console in the mail today but wont see the 40 til next weekend. i do have a digital protractor though. the front of it mounts to the seat frame which is supposed to be perpendicular to horizon

looking at the page 1 pic again, are you trying to fill the entire cavity of the console? yeah i would say the bottom of the cavity of the console is nearest to horizon

I measured my '78 console using a bubble level. It's not exact, but pretty close. The top line is about a 10 degree slope (upwards) from level. the bottom tray (inside the console) is about a 5 degree upward slope off of level. Make sense? The tap and bottom of the console both slope upwards toward the front of the truck. The bottom slope is 5 degrees and the top slope is 10 degrees.

I measured my '78 console using a bubble level. It's not exact, but pretty close. The top line is about a 10 degree slope (upwards) from level. the bottom tray (inside the console) is about a 5 degree upward slope off of level. Make sense? The tap and bottom of the console both slope upwards toward the front of the truck. The bottom slope is 5 degrees and the top slope is 10 degrees.
Thanks for those numbers. This is going to be a difficult piece to print. Neither top nor bottom will be parallel with the bottom of the cup holder which needs to be level. This is going to take an unusual amount of support to get this thing to hold cups level but sit totally angled AND look good in the console. I have my work cut out for me. I will get to work on this in the morning.

Is it possible to get somebody to snap a semi side profile pic of this console installed in a 40? I just want to get an idea of how it sits installed before I dig into this design. If possible a pic with an angle finder sitting on it would be great. Pic of one below. I am pretty sure I understand the comment above about the 5 and 10 degree angle differences but I want to be sure I understood that comment.
untitled3.png

2.jpg

You were sent a very bent console. Looking around google image search....

Redirect Notice

You were sent a very bent console. Looking around google image search....

Redirect Notice
I saw the exact same pic but all the "old" weathered ones I found pics of online are bent. I don't mind the one I have being bent. It's not in an area where the cup holder will ever go. I also like the fact that this one is bent and a bit rusty and not pristine. I don't have to worry about scratching it with the dial calipers. Seems like Toyota didn't reinforce the console enough or account for your fat uncle stepping on it when he climbed into the back during hunting trips.

Last edited:
So I stacked some stuff under the front of the console until I got the bottom 5 degrees up in the front. That made the front metal plate sit just about 90 degrees perpendicular to the horizon. Is this correct? Does that front hanging plate sit exactly perpendicular to the horizon? Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. That would be great if that's the case. I would at least have a 90 degree plane to work off of.

20170818_091927_resized2.jpg

I saw the exact same pic but all the "old" weathered ones I found pics of online are bent. I don't mind the one I have being bent. It's not in an area where the cup holder will ever go. I also like the fact that this one is bent and a bit rusty and not pristine. I don't have to worry about scratching it with the dial calipers. Seems like Toyota didn't reinforce the console enough or account for your fat uncle stepping on it when he climbed into the back during hunting trips.

Didn't take a fat uncle, kids were the most guilty ones of crawling between the buckets seats. Kept a close eye on mine when there were younger. It was in good shape when I bought it with the seats when they were six years old. Never got bent. I just drilled holes to mount a radio and painted it brown to match the saddle blanket seat covers I had at the time. Painted it with epoxy paint and used the kitchen oven to dry it. Also remember that didn't go over very well.

Bueller? Bueller? Any answer to my question above?

Are you sure the tops are really supposed to be flat? If I made mine flat, then the bottom of the tray would probably sit just about level. That would make sense, I suppose.

Are you sure the tops are really supposed to be flat? If I made mine flat, then the bottom of the tray would probably sit just about level. That would make sense, I suppose.
Does anyone have this stamped metal console that isn't bent but still in your 40? Maybe you could stick a level down in the bottom to see how flat it really is? If the bent console is the norm after 30-40 years then I probably need to account for that in my design.

Does anyone have this stamped metal console that isn't bent but still in your 40? Maybe you could stick a level down in the bottom to see how flat it really is? If the bent console is the norm after 30-40 years then I probably need to account for that in my design.

I have checked it out with a protractor while in the vehicle (1978 FJ40). The forward vertical face is only 2 degrees from plumb with respect to the floor pan. The forward inside of the depression is parallel to the forward face of the console. The bottom of the depression is flat inside and but not level with the car, but is within 2 degrees vertical of the forward face. The attached photos represent measurement method and are not clear enough for the absolute values. If you would like me to remove my console and ship it I will be glad to help you.

20170818_191947_resized.jpg

20170818_192246.jpg

So I stacked some stuff under the front of the console until I got the bottom 5 degrees up in the front. That made the front metal plate sit just about 90 degrees perpendicular to the horizon. Is this correct? Does that front hanging plate sit exactly perpendicular to the horizon? Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. That would be great if that's the case. I would at least have a 90 degree plane to work off of.

View attachment 1519492
Yes. It is close to 90 plus or minus two degrees from the floor pan, which would be your horizon.

Yes. It is close to 90 plus or minus two degrees from the floor pan, which would be your horizon.
Ok. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get this design figured out.

Ok. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get this design figured out.
If you need any more info on the relationships and angles, let me know and I will try and communicate to you. BTW I measured all the descriptions I previously sent so that you would have the info as installed. There my be some springback in that front connecting fascia but not much. I also really like the single cup with cell phone slot model. Let me know when production starts and I will purchase one. I will also purchase one of your prototypes for test fit if that would help

If you need any more info on the relationships and angles, let me know and I will try and communicate to you. BTW I measured all the descriptions I previously sent so that you would have the info as installed. There my be some springback in that front connecting fascia but not much. I also really like the single cup with cell phone slot model. Let me know when production starts and I will purchase one. I will also purchase one of your prototypes for test fit if that would help
Actually, I have another question. Are you saying the bottom of the hole in the console is only 2 degrees off from level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom