"Toyota WS ATF is garbage" thread at Tacoma World (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LOL, I gave up half way through, but the consensus is that the WF is way overpriced, not that good, certainly NOT capable of lasting 100k miles, and that a full synthetic like Valvoline Max-Life from Walmart ($18 per gallon) is a much better choice.

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...utomatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768

I need to change out my fluid. I have no record of it being changed and at 93k mikes I plan to do a lot of towing. I am checking around for local non-dealer shops to do the trans service with the Valvoline....

Comments?

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA

For what it's worth, I took mine to a local Lexus dealer today to do a flush and fill on the transmission. Mine has 140k miles and like you, I intend to do some towing so I want to get fresh fluids in the whole drivetrain. They called me a couple hours later and said there was no mandatory service interval (owners manual says it's optional at 120k), and furthermore, they didn't have the equipment or even service instructions to perform the service. The only service instruction they had was for setting the proper fluid level after dropping the pan, but not a full flush and fill.

They checked the fluid level and basically said don't worry about it until you actually have a real problem. Toyota intends for it to be a lifetime system. For many owners, that's true. But I'd still feel better about fresh fluid every 100k or so.

If you insist on doing the flush and fill, find a local shop that offers BG products/services. BG has a tranny flush machine and various fluids. Don't think you'll be able to specify your favorite fluid with their service, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

They checked the fluid level and basically said don't worry about it until you actually have a real problem. Toyota intends for it to be a lifetime system. For many owners, that's true. But I'd still feel better about fresh fluid every 100k or so.

If you insist on doing the flush and fill, find a local shop that offers BG products/services. BG has a tranny flush machine and various fluids. Don't think you'll be able to specify your favorite fluid with their service, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Your Lexus dealer was feeding you that standard OEM BS line. They are not set up to deal with the needs of high mileage vehicles. That is why I am looking for an independent shop. I would do it myself but I am getting old and am getting too darned tired of getting filthy dirty and sore to save a few measly bucks on fluid changes. Plus the huge hassle of disposing of large quantities of waste. It just isn't fun any more...

Thanks for the BG comment, I wonder if they have a dealer locator page?

John Davies
Spokane WA

Tacoma World is the forum equivalent of the Jerry Springer Show. Just wild, head scratching, lunacy.

I do check out their group buy section occasionally though.

Agreed - they do have great group buys though. I bought my ARB fridge from one of them actually.

Bgfindashop.com

The problem with some of the newer vehicles is that there are no external cooler houses to connect a flush machine to. The cooler bolts to the side of the trans, and heater hoses feed the coolant through it.

Your Lexus dealer was feeding you that standard OEM BS line. They are not set up to deal with the needs of high mileage vehicles. That is why I am looking for an independent shop. I would do it myself but I am getting old and am getting too darned tired of getting filthy dirty and sore to save a few measly bucks on fluid changes. Plus the huge hassle of disposing of large quantities of waste. It just isn't fun any more...

Thanks for the BG comment, I wonder if they have a dealer locator page?

John Davies
Spokane WA

Right. That's why I said "for many owners". What I should have said is "for first owners", because that's who dealers tend to service. The folks who buy the higher mileage, post-warranty vehicles (like me, and many of us on here) aren't their primary service customers. I only went there because the quote they gave me over the phone sounded fairly reasonable so I wanted to give them a shot.

BG does have a find a shop page: Find a Shop | BG Products, Inc.

I'm going to study up on the BG products a little bit, but I suspect they're pretty good if they'll warranty your drivetrain for a lifetime when serviced appropriately: Lifetime BG Protection Plan® | BG Products, Inc. Too bad I'm too late to the party on my 200, but I may take advantage of it on my wife's Yukon.

I did a full fluid swap at the Toyota dealer at 60k miles. ~15 quarts of ATF WS out, Amsoil ATF in. Toyota deal had no qualms about charging $126 just for the labor.

Unless someone has done an oil analysis of new oil and multiple used oil samples, the OP is trolling.

Uninformed opinion: If ATF WS was garbage, you'd be seeing transmission failures all over the place on LC/LX/Sequoia/Tundra/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom