TRANSMISSION LINKAGE IN TRANSMISSION UNIT BINDING (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 2008 LC with 149k miles, sight unseen. The Carfax service history is impeccable and along with the 200+ hi-rez photos, the excellent reputation of the dealer and the cost I decided to pull the trigger. BIG MISTAKE.
After it was delivered to me today I noticed that it's very difficult to engage into drive. After reading IH8MUD for the past 8 hours and figuring out I can download the service history from Toyota I discovered the previous owner had this issue since 100k miles. The end result from Toyota, it appears, is to install a re-manufactured transmission due to "transmission linkage in transmission unit binding". Attached are the service records I downloaded from Toyota.com that reference the shifting issue. The notes from the Toyota service advisor start off around 100k with "customer might have spilled coffee into gear box, hard to shift into gear", and end at 140k with "recommend new transmission" (paraphrasing not direct quotes)

If anyone can shed some light on this issue or my best route to take with the repair I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Thank you,

Attachments

• 117k miles.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 120k miles.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 130k.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 140k.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 86
  • 145k miles.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 123
Well I'd say don't panic. Do a good methodical check of the linkage and start with the small stuff. Records show time in NY so maybe there's some corrosion issues? (Just a WAG).

If there's a good cruiser shop in VA I'd take it to them for an honest assessment. Just because a dealer says it needs a new tranny doesn't mean that's the issue.

You need a good honest mechanic to give you an assessment of its current condition.

Good luck!

Isnt iron pig off road in VA?

Iron pig is just outside D.C. They are a great shop, I would start there first.

Well I'd say don't panic. Do a good methodical check of the linkage and start with the small stuff. Records show time in NY so maybe there's some corrosion issues? (Just a WAG).

If there's a good cruiser shop in VA I'd take it to them for an honest assessment. Just because a dealer says it needs a new tranny doesn't mean that's the issue.

You need a good honest mechanic to give you an assessment of its current condition.

Good luck!
Thanks Dom, OTRA is not too far from me so I'll give them a call to set up an appt.

It might be a very simple fix.

I remember when I was a kid several centuries ago a neighbor sold me his atv for super cheap because it wouldn't shift. But $25 later I had a working nearly new Polaris for a few hundo.

So don't panic. Could only be a few bucks. Or several thousand....

Similarly, the shifter in my FJ62 got very stiff at one point. It was just a plastic bushing on the pivot, it was challenging to reach and swap out but it fixed the problem, only a few $ and an hour or so of time.

I can't imagine a stuck linkage would require a new tranny. Standard procedure from dealers is to replace. Makes them more money than trouble shooting. Like stated above get a good shop to look at it

I put about 250 miles on her yesterday and another 50 this morning. It does seam to be engaing into D/P/R much better. I'm still planning on scheduling an appointment with Ryan at OTRAMM. BTW the AC blows nice and HOT ... one more thing to address. Thanks for all of the insight on this everyone, I do really appreciate it.

I put about 250 miles on her yesterday and another 50 this morning. It does seam to be engaing into D/P/R much better. I'm still planning on scheduling an appointment with Ryan at OTRAMM. BTW the AC blows nice and HOT ... one more thing to address. Thanks for all of the insight on this everyone, I do really appreciate it.

You will like working with Ryan. He has serviced my 100 and 200 Cruisers.

BTW the AC blows nice and HOT ... one more thing to address. Thanks for all of the insight on this everyone, I do really appreciate it.

I had this problem. Under warranty thank goodness. They replaced the condenser in the cabin I believe. It was leaking.

Good luck and hopefully it isn't that bad.

@89FJ62inVA .... just wondering if your parking brake is used and if it is adjusted to actually hold the weight of the vehicle. You can physically see the transmission stick move if/when the weight of the vehicle is placed on the parking awl in the transmission. When my wife drives our LC, she engages the parking brake - but not enough to actually hold the vehicle.

I would try the following as an experiment:

1) Move the stick from Park to Neutral,
2) Apply the parking brake and release your foot from the brake pedal (while still covering it).
3) Then shift to P and turn off the car.

You may find that the shift moves freely from P to D on the next startup......

@89FJ62inVA .... just wondering if your parking brake is used and if it is adjusted to actually hold the weight of the vehicle. You can physically see the transmission stick move if/when the weight of the vehicle is placed on the parking awl in the transmission. When my wife drives our LC, she engages the parking brake - but not enough to actually hold the vehicle.

I would try the following as an experiment:

1) Move the stick from Park to Neutral,
2) Apply the parking brake and release your foot from the brake pedal (while still covering it).
3) Then shift to P and turn off the car.

You may find that the shift moves freely from P to D on the next startup......[/QUOTE

Thank you, I will try that

I know it hasn't even been a week yet, but any update on this?

after the first couple days and 200+ miles it seams fine. When I first took delivery it took a lot of force to engage it but now all seams normal. Strange I know, I have no idea what happened?

most likely weight of the vehicle when parked w/o parking break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom