Transmission software update in Canada (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any luck convincing a Canadian dealership to apply the 8spd transmission update - TSB 0209-17 (LSB 0118-17 for Lexus). My 2017 LX acts like it needs the update but the dealership says they can't do it because the above LSB is written for the US market.

Anyone have any luck convincing a Canadian dealership to apply the 8spd transmission update - TSB 0209-17 (LSB 0118-17 for Lexus). My 2017 LX acts like it needs the update but the dealership says they can't do it because the above LSB is written for the US market.

Are they saying they won't apply the update at all or just won't do it for free?
I live in the US and paid a couple hundred to have my dealer apply.

Are they saying they won't apply the update at all or just won't do it for free?
I live in the US and paid a couple hundred to have my dealer apply.
The service advisor said they wouldn't do it at all, and that it only applies to US vehicles. I have a voicemail into the service manager, so we will see.

Try calling Toyota directly. It was difficult for me and I'm in the US. I went to the dealer, they couldn't find it at all in their system, then after I told them I had called Toyota and verified it applied to my vehicle, they found it "on the second page" somehow. It did cost me about $90 I think.

How close are you to the border?

Thanks for the advice. I will try all that with the service manager when he calls. I am only 90 miles from the Montana border but probably a lot further than that to a dealership :)

Update: The Canadian TSB is L-TCI-3776. The car is at the dealership now, they have agreed to apply the new calibration for a couple hundred dollars.
Thank you! As I got the same response from the dealership in the past. i.e. the TSB only applies to US vehicles.

Update: The dealership did the software upgrade and wow, what a difference. Completely solved my issue which the TSB describes as "Shift shock 1st to 2nd gear when the water temperature is below 60°C (140°F)." In my case I wouldn't have called it shift shock as much as a hesitation between the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift, and only when the engine is cold (as the TSB states)

However the extra benefit of the update is that the vehicle drives MUCH better now across all RPMs and gears. Before the update I was really missing my old 6sp in my 08, but I am much happier now. It has only been 1 day so maybe I am jumping the gun, but for sure there is a very noticeable improvement.

For everyone's reference I was expecting to get software version: 895366011400 as stated in the TSB however they upgraded to 895366011500.

Here is what the TSB says:
TSB SW version.JPG

Here is my Programming Report:
ECU Programming report.JPG

Looks like I went from the '300' calibration to the '500' calibration. Also notice the issue date of 5/9/2018. So if anyone has the update prior to this date you will likely have the '400' calibration and might want to consider the the '500' update. I have no idea what went into the '500' update so YMMV

Interesting. The TSB used for mine was from 2017. Makes me wonder if the U.S. LC has a later version.

Interesting. The TSB used for mine was from 2017. Makes me wonder if the U.S. LC has a later version.
The TSB for mine was also from 2017, however the newest '500' software (not mentioned in the TSB) is from 2018. I would speculate that if you had the TSB done after 5/9/2018 you likely have the newest '500' software. Otherwise probably you have the '400'. There doesn't seem to be a difference between the software on US or Canadian LXs or LCs

Last edited:
Thank you! As I got the same response from the dealership in the past. i.e. the TSB only applies to US vehicles.
Get it done! I had to be pretty firm with the service manager, but he eventually went for it. He wanted to have someone diagnose the vehicle to confirm the "problem" existed, etc etc. I can't picture being able to convince and average service advisor that there was even a problem, especially in my case when the main issue was on cold start up, and I was really after the drivability improvements. The whole thing sounded like it would be days of back and forth with an eventual diagnosis of "no fault found" and a lighter wallet. Eventually he begrudgingly agreed to just apply the new calibration and send me on my way, and it was pretty clear he was annoyed by me. I had to sign the work order saying they didn't guarantee the problem would be fixed after the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom