Cali to Maine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First time contributor here, and I use the term "contributor" loosely. I just purchased my first Cruiser. She's a '91 FJ80 just shipped from California, across country, to my home state of Maine. I'd been looking for a 80's-00's cruiser for a few years now in Maine. The winters and the salt they use on the roads makes it nearly impossible to find a rust free cruiser. 90% are all roached out and require extensive body and frame work. I finally pulled the trigger and ended with the FJ80. She's a fine specimen not a speck of rust with 242k miles.

I am no mechanic, I understand the basics and I can perform the basics. This is my third vehicle so it isn't a DD. This rig has had a lot of maintenance and recent work done to it. I've only owned it for a day and I'm very excited to make it my own. Nothing sticks out that needs attention but driving it home I noticed it's limits concerning engine power and lack of smooth shifting throughout the gears.

If you were me what would be your "first order of business" concerning the engine and drivetrain? I want to be a good steward of this classic and I'd like to preserve it and make it better. I surely appreciate any advice that the forum can give. Thank you!

First thing I would do is not drive it in the salt.

It's a small world Cruiserhound!

My shop is about a mile down the road from where you took the picture of your truck and dog. Forest ave, right? Maybe you've see my white '97 on 35s around town. We restore and modify all kinds of vehicles at my shop so I know rust and rust prevention well. Anyway, I did a similar thing as you have and had my 80 shipped from Florida because I just couldn't justify doing work to a vehicle that will just rot out from under me. I did an extensive cleaning with a steam cleaner and then used a combination of treatments to help stop corrosion on my truck. If you need any help with bodywork, paint, rustproofing, mechanical work, parts installation, wiring, custom fabrication or maintenance, just let me know. I've done all the baseline work on several 80's in the past and really enjoy working on them.

I go wheeling every week or two if you are ever interested in getting yours dirty. Also, I have some 80 parts kicking around if you ever need anything.

Cheers -Adam

It's a small world Cruiserhound!

My shop is about a mile down the road from where you took the picture of your truck and dog. Forest ave, right? Maybe you've see my white '97 on 35s around town. We restore and modify all kinds of vehicles at my shop so I know rust and rust prevention well. Anyway, I did a similar thing as you have and had my 80 shipped from Florida because I just couldn't justify doing work to a vehicle that will just rot out from under me. I did an extensive cleaning with a steam cleaner and then used a combination of treatments to help stop corrosion on my truck. If you need any help with bodywork, paint, rustproofing, mechanical work, parts installation, wiring, custom fabrication or maintenance, just let me know. I've done all the baseline work on several 80's in the past and really enjoy working on them.

I go wheeling every week or two if you are ever interested in getting yours dirty. Also, I have some 80 parts kicking around if you ever need anything.

That's Awesome Notch. You know I think I have seen your Cruiser around. What's the name of your shop? I'd definitely like to stop in and introduce myself. My Cruiser needs a bit of attention, I could use your opinion and probably some parts!

UPDATE: So, I'm about a month and half in and the honeymoon is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this cruiser, but there was a ton of s*** that wasn't right and she is slowly starting to tell her story. The PM was severely lacking. The PO's before me either gave up on the upkeep or just didn't have much knowledge about vehicle maintenance. I also suspect, for a couple different reasons, that decent parts were scavenged and replaced before it was shipped from Cali. Of course this is just speculation but some things I've discovered don't add up. So I've been base-lining her and replacing parts with OEM whenever possible. Right now she is idling really well and I am now pretty confident driving it around. I'd like to thank @Notch from Back Bay Customs in Portland for great advise, giving me confidence to do work that I would have a garage do otherwise. If you need any high-end custom work done in New England go see Notch at Back Bay Customs. Thanks to @jonheld and all the other folks that have responded to my threads. I can't say enough about IH8MUD, it's an awesome forum!

Base-lining accomplished to date:

OEM Air Filter
Coolant Flush/replaced with Toyota Red
Wix Fuel Filter
Oil and Filter
Oil Fill Cap Gasket
PCV Valve, Hose and Grommet
Front and Rear Axle Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
OEM Plugs and Wires
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Distributor Base
All New OEM Vacuum Hose
Diehard AGM BAttery
OEM Vacuuum Modulator
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Thermostat

Some other maintenance was done before I got her and there is much more to do! If you see something missing that you think should be done, for a vehicle with 243,000 miles, please feel free to chime in! I'm all for good ideas.

The next item you need to do as part of your base line, if it's not already been done is the front axle. Since the last owner did not stay on top of your trucks maintenance, I'll bet it's been awhile since the front wheel bearings have been looked at. Once you've pulled the front hubs off, you may as well go all the way and pull the CV joints too. This will give you a chance to replace the CV joint grease, axle wipers, install need knuckle bearings, along with new wheel bearings and seals.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got my '97 in the garage waiting on the axle rebuild.

Good luck with your '91.

If you see a black LX450 around town, it'll likely be me.

The next item you need to do as part of your base line, if it's not already been done is the front axle. Since the last owner did not stay on top of your trucks maintenance, I'll bet it's been awhile since the front well bearings have been looked at. Once you've pulled the front hubs off, you may as well go all the way and pull the CV joints too. This will give you a chance to replace the CV joint grease, axle wipers, install need knuckle bearings, along with new wheel bearings and seals.
I've sent a couple emails today to some suppliers looking to buy an axle rebuild kit. Not sure if they have them though. Do you know of any resources to obtain everything (OEM) you are referring to? Thanks!

Yeah, I've got my '97 in the garage waiting on the axle rebuild.

Good luck with your '91.

If you see a black LX450 around town, it'll likely be me.
Awesome....Nice to meet you reconranger! Do you live in Greater Portland? Let me know if you'd like someone to hand you tools when you do the axle rebuild. I've never done one and would love to see what's involved first hand. Totally understand if you don't want an audience though. Good luck to you too!

UPDATE: So, I'm about a month and half in and the honeymoon is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this cruiser, but there was a ton of s*** that wasn't right and she is slowly starting to tell her story. The PM was severely lacking. The PO's before me either gave up on the upkeep or just didn't have much knowledge about vehicle maintenance. I also suspect, for a couple different reasons, that decent parts were scavenged and replaced before it was shipped from Cali. Of course this is just speculation but some things I've discovered don't add up. So I've been base-lining her and replacing parts with OEM whenever possible. Right now she is idling really well and I am now pretty confident driving it around. I'd like to thank @Notch from Back Bay Customs in Portland for great advise, giving me confidence to do work that I would have a garage do otherwise. If you need any high-end custom work done in New England go see Notch at Back Bay Customs. Thanks to @jonheld and all the other folks that have responded to my threads. I can't say enough about IH8MUD, it's an awesome forum!

Base-lining accomplished to date:

OEM Air Filter
Coolant Flush/replaced with Toyota Red
Wix Fuel Filter
Oil and Filter
Oil Fill Cap Gasket
PCV Valve, Hose and Grommet
Front and Rear Axle Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
OEM Plugs and Wires
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Distributor Base
All New OEM Vacuum Hose
Diehard AGM BAttery
OEM Vacuuum Modulator
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Thermostat

Some other maintenance was done before I got her and there is much more to do! If you see something missing that you think should be done, for a vehicle with 243,000 miles, please feel free to chime in! I'm all for good ideas.

Same thing happened to me, except my honey moon ended about 15 minutes after I left the previous owner's house. :) Sounds like you're doing it right. Even though truck may have been neglected, the rust free chassis is rare for these parts, everything else can be dealt with and then you'll be driving a "brand new" cruiser.

I've sent a couple emails today to some suppliers looking to buy an axle rebuild kit. Not sure if they have them though. Do you know of any resources to obtain everything (OEM) you are referring to? Thanks!

Contact @cruiseroutfit for your rebuild kit.

Go with cruiser outfittters they'll square you away. Oh, when you do order your kit from them, get the complete kit with the Koyo bearings and factory seals. That kit will cost you a few dollars more, but for that extra money you'll be getting all new factory parts.

Last edited:
I second Kurt from @cruiseroutfit as well. They rock. Beno and a few other vendor will always steer you right as well.

Awesome....Nice to meet you reconranger! Do you live in Greater Portland? Let me know if you'd like someone to hand you tools when you do the axle rebuild. I've never done one and would love to see what's involved first hand. Totally understand if you don't want an audience though. Good luck to you too!

I don't know when I'll get to mine. If you need help with your, PM me. I don't know if there's a big difference between the '91 or '97.

I'm in Freeport.

Sure glade I live in Calif. no salt on the roads here.

Same. Plenty of snow over here and they put brine on the 395 (white stripes that people think are paint) but on the paths I roam it's just plowed and some gritty rocks thrown down.

What is the coating like? I am planning on going there too but I was wondering if the coating gets scraped off as you go off roading? I do not really know what would be a betternative though.
Fluid film will not scrape off. It is a lanolin based coating, I believe, it looks much like grease or oil.That being said it will wear out over time and dry up. Eventually it will wash off therefore it needs to be reapplied at least yearly. They say it is the best and will stop rust in its tracks as well as lubricate parts nuts and bolts. It is messy but affordable.

Fluid film will not scrape off. It is a lanolin based coating, I believe, it looks much like grease or oil.That being said it will wear out over time and dry up. Eventually it will wash off therefore it needs to be reapplied at least yearly. They say it is the best and will stop rust in its tracks as well as lubricate parts nuts and bolts. It is messy but affordable.
That's awesome thanks a lot. I have rock sliders to put on, I assume I should wait till after I get it put on the first time. Do you agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom