Looking at a BJ74 this week in UT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after a few years away from Land Cruisers (I've had a couple FJ40s in the past) I've started to get a hankering for them again. This one just popped up close to me, so I figured it was at least worth an afternoon drive to look it over:

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser on KSL.com

I don't know much about 70s other than the usual Cruiser rust problems. Been reading here over the last few days to get educated a bit. I figure if it looks interesting when I'm there I'll try and find someone local here in UT that could do an inspection for me.

-Drew

The following opinion is worth what you are paying for it.....nothing :)
  1. Looks like a nice truck if you are OK with RHD. I am not...have had two RHD Land Cruisers and have sold both. Offroad/backroad adventure rig? Fine....Daily driver? Maybe not. There are LHD rigs coming from Europe and South America. Importers who are proven and reliable like Steve Jackson Land Cruisers Direct - 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ73 LX #5458 and Chris Spaulding Arriving Soon
  2. The 4 cyl turbo diesel is a fine motor that has been out of production for many years - parts may be an issue for you. Consider a slightly newer rig (1990 and later) with the 1HZ 6 cylinder motor, which has good part support and is still in production.
  3. Do you need diesel? South America and Middle East see 70s with gas motors - smooth, easy to find parts, etc. (like the one in #1 above from Steve's firm).
Good luck, have fun!

Skip the gasser 70 series. This is coming from someone that owns one.

So after a few years away from Land Cruisers (I've had a couple FJ40s in the past) I've started to get a hankering for them again. This one just popped up close to me, so I figured it was at least worth an afternoon drive to look it over:

1988 Toyota Land Cruiser on KSL.com

I don't know much about 70s other than the usual Cruiser rust problems. Been reading here over the last few days to get educated a bit. I figure if it looks interesting when I'm there I'll try and find someone local here in UT that could do an inspection for me.

-Drew

I have seen this truck, and it is pretty nice. I spent about 20 minutes going over it. The body is very, very clean for a truck that's lived in Canada, the underneath has typical surface rust, but nothing to worry about. Mechanically looks good and mileage seems to jive with condition. I think if you get it for $18K it's a great buy, $19K and you're fair, $20K+ and it's a good sell for him. But if you've been looking for a while and you want a factory black one with cable lockers, it only matters what you're willing to pay and there's no shame in that! Not too many exactly like this floating around.

Thanks for the initial thoughts, guys. I'm excited to look at it, but I've got enough old-car experience to be cautious as well. I wasn't actively looking for one, but when this one came up so close I had to take a look. I'm in no rush, but have decided to look seriously at what's out there over the next few months.

I have thought about contacting Land Cruisers Direct, good to see they have a decent reputation here.

As for diesel, it's not a must-have for me, but not a must-not-have either. A 5-speed manual (or at least an overdrive) is a must-have, due to the need to do at least a little freeway duty.

As for RHD, I've got 3 other RHD cars at the moment (Bugeye Sprite, Morris Minor, MGB) so I'm quite used to them and really like them in odd sort of way. I'd probably still have my last FJ40 if it had been RHD -- but then I'm strange that way. :)

(Steve snuck in while I was replying)

Steve, thanks as well for your thoughts, very helpful for me. I admit I was hoping someone here was at least somewhat familiar with the truck. If this one isn't the one for me, I may very well be in touch with you about other options.

Thanks for the initial thoughts, guys. I'm excited to look at it, but I've got enough old-car experience to be cautious as well. I wasn't actively looking for one, but when this one came up so close I had to take a look. I'm in no rush, but have decided to look seriously at what's out there over the next few months.

I have thought about contacting Land Cruisers Direct, good to see they have a decent reputation here.

As for diesel, it's not a must-have for me, but not a must-not-have either. A 5-speed manual (or at least an overdrive) is a must-have, due to the need to do at least a little freeway duty.

As for RHD, I've got 3 other RHD cars at the moment (Bugeye Sprite, Morris Minor, MGB) so I'm quite used to them and really like them in odd sort of way. I'd probably still have my last FJ40 if it had been RHD -- but then I'm strange that way. :)
Ya, to each his own. You are in a much better position to buy a 70 if RHD friendly :)

Somewhat like mine but it has the body stripes, lockers, less rust.

Looked at the truck today after work. It is really clean and seems to be in good running order. Heck, the power mirrors even work (my Jeep JK doesn't even have power mirrors), though the windshield does have a crack. Seller has the original wheels as well with good tires on them.

I'm thinking seriously about it. It'll have to do some daily driver duties for at least a year (my wife and I commute together most days, so it's not too bad) so I've got to weigh that.

I'm going to reach out to Steve and pick his brain about it a bit (and about options he may have available). If nothing else it was nice to be back in a Land Cruiser.

Had a nice chat with Steve this morning. He was very helpful, answered a few questions about this truck in particular and also about Diesels in cold climates (I live in the UT mountains) and a few other questions. Nice chatting with him.

I've reached out to Kurt (of Cruiser Outfitters) to see if he or someone he knows of would be willing to give the truck a good inspection.

I do like these 70s though, so I think I've got a direction for my hunt now even if this truck doesn't pan out. Unless a really nice RHD 40 comes along. :)

I really enjoy mine and w/the manual 5 runs easily on the hwy. lot's of fun and great on the 4 wheeler dirt tracks too

I had a BJ-70 converted to 71 in Fairbanks, AK, for at least 3 yrs, it was my daily driver. At home it was parked in the garage, but at work I would just plug it in using the block heater, and a small oil pan heater, and a electric heater in the cab (for my comfort :) ) It always started after work even on the coldest days, and we would get some cold days :). I drove it long distances in the coldest weather too, I would block the radiator some. This is all I did with no problems.
Driving my HJ-75 in Anchorage, this is my first winter. Seems to have some problems with the glow plugs for some reason. I installed a ESPAR coolant heater and I would run this before driving it and it has always started, seems to run cooler than what I remember the 13BT. We don't get as cold here as in Fairbanks, did have some -5F days with no problems. I wish I could use a block heater as a back up on the 2H but this would require a bit of work on my part since I would have to change our the piece on the side of the block which would probably require me removing the fuel pump:-(

Direct injection factory turbos are not as cold-blooded as the indirect glow plug motors.

Thanks for the thoughts on the diesels and the cold. I'm feeling more confident about them now.

And I didn't even know there was a Land Cruiser Heritage Museum down in SLC. I need to get down off the mountain and visit!

A friend of mine and I went and did a long test drive of the truck last Saturday. Overall it's a solid truck, with a few immediate needs. Very little rust in the body, nothing I'd be worried about. Frame was solid. Drivetrain was good, the 13BT started right up and pulled nicely.

As for problems, there were a few. The brakes need some looking at, as does the steering. The suspension seemed a little off as well, though not too badly. Exhaust was almost rusted all the way through. None of this was particularly a problem, but were things that would need to be addressed. A bit of sorting work and it'd be good to go.

Ultimately I decided to pass on the truck. It's a decent one, but I decided that I really prefer FJ40s (I've had a couple over the years) over the FJ70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom