BJ74 Intercooler suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping to put an intercooler on my '88 BJ74 in a few weeks. What do you guys suggest for
type and brand? Any installation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping to put an intercooler on my '88 BJ74 in a few weeks. What do you guys suggest for
type and brand? Any installation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What kind are you wanting? Air 2 air? Air to water? Water/meth injection?

There is literally no bolt on or kit for this. There is barely any room and most seem to do an air to water, less cutting but more complicated.

Front mount requires a bit of cutting/chopping and modding to make it work, but is simple and proven.

Top mount is ok, as long as you are OK with cutting a hole in your hood for the scoop to cool it. Mixed results from people.

Air to water seems to work, but more things to go wrong, still having to mount a heat exchanger as well as the actual cooler and then the system to run it needs to be sized correctly.

I’m looking at water meth. Pretty easy install for a 13bt, not as simple as air to air but good results. Always filling water/meth resivoure and other potential issues.

Imo, the best way to cool down some air is to start with a much more efficient turbo if you are still running stock. My he221w runs cool and efficiently at 19psi right now.

What is your setup? Stock?

these air to water work well and are inexpensive, thats what i have on my 3b, pretty close in performance to a bigger air to air
but you need a water cooler in front of the rad, 2" thick 12 x12 will fit behind the crossbrace without cutting and you need a water pump and reservoir.......
I'm still toying with doing water meth (mostly water) injection in the summer months....

intercooler.jpg

What kind are you wanting? Air 2 air? Air to water? Water/meth injection?

There is literally no bolt on or kit for this. There is barely any room and most seem to do an air to water, less cutting but more complicated.

Front mount requires a bit of cutting/chopping and modding to make it work, but is simple and proven.

Top mount is ok, as long as you are OK with cutting a hole in your hood for the scoop to cool it. Mixed results from people.

Air to water seems to work, but more things to go wrong, still having to mount a heat exchanger as well as the actual cooler and then the system to run it needs to be sized correctly.

I’m looking at water meth. Pretty easy install for a 13bt, not as simple as air to air but good results. Always filling water/meth resivoure and other potential issues.

Imo, the best way to cool down some air is to start with a much more efficient turbo if you are still running stock. My he221w runs cool and efficiently at 19psi right now.

What is your setup? Stock?
My Land Cruiser has the stock turbo and is turned up to about 17 psi. My fabricator talked to me about water/air but I had originally been thinking Air/Air.

air to air will outperform the air to water on the highway
vice versa on the trail

more drilling and cutting and fabbing with air to air
more pumps and wires res and stuff with the air to water

these air to water work well and are inexpensive, thats what i have on my 3b, pretty close in performance to a bigger air to air
but you need a water cooler in front of the rad, 2" thick 12 x12 will fit behind the crossbrace without cutting and you need a water pump and reservoir.......
I'm still toying with doing water meth (mostly water) injection in the summer months....

View attachment 3329498

Was there a specific source for air-to-water intercoolers that you utilized? I ask because my searches for air-to-water intercoolers have only turned up intercoolers very over sized for my 3B (>350hp vrs ~120hp range). Thanks

frozenboost is a decent place to start however they are just sourcing chinese parts and putting together these kits which you may be able to purchase cheaper on your own.
You want a kit rated for about twice what your power level is with a water to air, bigger is better, you just have to consider the amount of room you have to work with
Thats why the intercooler and the 2" thick 12" x 12" cooler is what i recommended as it will fit in a 70 series with the least amount of grief, others will argue that an air to air is just as much work as an air to water just without the complexity, i just couldnt wrap my mind around getting the 2-2.5" pipes to the front of the rad and around my dual batteries, it is possible though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom