New 40 Series owner, original '78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you could go back in time, you'd find that Michigan HAD a huge representation of FJ40s back in the day. Vic Bridges scooped the rusty remains of them for the better part of two decades before selling the business (Midwest Landcruisers) to Jeff Trapp (Jeff's Bronco Graveyard) about 1987. I bought what was left of that in 1990 and dragged it all to Kali. It was about 50 rigs worth.
When I finally made it to Michigan to visit Vic, he probably had another 50 on his spread.

Some of us never get over the addiction.

@dogfishlake

A 74' slob 99 ... did you have the slant 4 engine in it? I worked on several of those ... when I worked for a British car shop we would get a few in here and there because of those triumph engines

Ran great when they ran great... ran absolutely horrible when they didn't run great there wasn't really an in between with them ... even in the TR7s

Got pics of your 99?

Btw I owned a 73' spitfire and DD it for around 8 years kept it for 16 ... my first car ... if you want to learn to wrench... anything British is the way to go, there was always something going wrong :)

@dogfishlake

A 74' slob 99 ... did you have the slant 4 engine in it? I worked on several of those ... when I worked for a British car shop we would get a few in here and there because of those triumph engines

Ran great when they ran great... ran absolutely horrible when they didn't run great there wasn't really an in between with them ... even in the TR7s

Got pics of your 99?

Btw I owned a 73' spitfire and DD it for around 8 years kept it for 16 ... my first car ... if you want to learn to wrench... anything British is the way to go, there was always something going wrong :)
It did have a fuel injected 4 cylinder, don't remember much else about it other than it was black and had paisley printed seats(!). Oh and I caught it on fire, luckily just as I pulled in to work so a coworker grabbed an extinguisher and put it out. It had a rotted fuel line that split and sprayed gas on the exhaust. Can't say I understood the concept of baselining at that point. About 10 rolls of electrical tape later, I got the harness pulled apart and re-taped. Sold her soon after that. There must be a picture around but I haven't the faintest idea where, unfortunately.

Thank you. It is going to be a great experience I'm sure!

Well, I finally got a chance to take "Olive" (Troy gave me the o.k. to use the name since she was sold to him with the name as well) for a real drive this weekend. I only drove her around the block when I went to pick her up, really didn't have to do that, being one of the old "love at first sight " deals. Anyway, last weekend was a crazy 60° weekend when it should be 20° and riding sleds; but maybe this was a smile from the Boss because it was the weekend of my 49th birthday, and the best gift I could get would be to roll the new 40. My wife, kids, and I had a date in Rockford MI to the the Corner Bar restaurant to try to make the "wall of fame" by eating at least 12 chili dogs. I couldn't ask for a better time cruising my new gem the 15 miles to Rockford. My youngest daughter and I rolled Olive while the rest of the gang rode in my wife's T4R (cowards!). My oldest daughter's boyfriend and I answered the call for the wall of fame, sort of. I only made it to 7 before I decided a Bells Brewery "Two Hearted Ale" sounded better, he made it to 9 and a half. Part of the reason I bailed on the 12 dogs, even though there was no real chance anyway, was that all I could think about was driving that sweet truck and that I didn't want to wreck it by feeling like sh*t! I didn't feel so great anyway!
What a great day and a great new adventure! I LOVE this 40!

Thanks, and agreed on the sill, or lack of. I love the look of my 40 but the one mod I really can't ignore that I want (for look and for the usable benefit) would be a lift and skinny 33" tires. Yours looks just about perfect. What lift is that? Thanks.

She's a beauty! Here's mine with 2.5 OME lift and 33x10.5 tires for your reference. Definitely noticed an improvement in the ride! Congrats!
20170131_095936.jpg
20170131_095947.jpg

Oh man, you are KILLING ME! That is beautiful! Exactly what I want to do. I've got $$ and time priorities to conquer to get things going on Olive. My Chevelle has to go back together first. My dad and I started it, now I have to get her mobile. Then my 40!
SAM_0895.JPG
SAM_0891.JPG

From that last pic, it looks like you're giving that motor the ax!:eek:

Maybe you discovered don't need all 8 cylinders; six will do just fine.;)

From that last pic, it looks like you're giving that motor the ax!:eek:

Maybe you discovered don't need all 8 cylinders; six will do just fine.;)
Well, I have come to find that the inline six is by far my favorite configuration. That said, in the context of American muscle era cars "there is no replacement for displacement ". The Chevelle is getting her matching numbers ls5 360 horse big block put back in her bone stock, no mods beyond what it came with in 1970. I really like the idea of classic vehicles, no matter who made them, being represented with what manufacturers could offer within the constraints of price point, quality, performance, and marketability.

That said, my 80 series with a supercharger, intercooler, and meth injection can suprise a ton of people with Mr T's awesomeness.

Awesome. I got mine 2 years ago. Same color same year. Not in such a good shape as your though :)
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
After 2 years the end result:
IMG_20160601_110033.jpg

Still working on small stuff though. But... it's all worth it. Good luck with yours.

IMG_0022.jpg

Very nice! Mine will hopefully be working towards looking that nice very soon. You could add on to the garage and keep this one AND get a new cruiser ya know

It is getting pretty cramped in here...

20150723_114437.jpg

I hear ya on being cramped, still working on that, for now 2 cruisers in 1 spot!
SAM_0923.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom