Sway's LX Journal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I purchased a 1999 LX470 with 156k miles just before end of 2016. One owner in excellent condition with a nice long list of services done at Lexus. I needed a larger vehicle for my kids, double stroller and two Aussies to haul around and I always had my eyes on this rig. A little over a month and really enjoying the LX.

With that, I've never owned a vehicle like this. This is all new territory for me. I've modded the crap of my last two cars but that was the stance, low, flush modified scene. lol I am really looking forward to customizing this LX.

I am creating this thread for documentation and to share the things I will do. I love photography, so will post a lot of pictures. =)

Like I said, this is all new territory but I still gotta show you my past cars that I've really enjoyed modding.

First and foremost, stock pics of the LX. =)

Seats in great condition

2014 Subaru Forester XT. Had this for about 2 years.

2005 Lexus IS300 Sportcross. Had it for 4 years.

My other two current cars, are both stock. Since having two boys, I haven't had a chance to work on cars but now with the LX....I am really eager to!

Here's wife daily, a VW Tiguan:

Here's my daily...but I currently have it for sale. I may just end up keeping it. It drives nice on the highway with high end power. 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi

Well, that's enough pics for one day. =)

Current to-do list for the LX :
Transfer the Yakima roof box to the LX
New wheels
New tires
Paint the front grille and emblems
Upgrade exhaust system
Front headlight overlays..light tint
Yellow fog light overlays
New paint
Double Din with rearview cam
Lift kit (once air suspension goes out)
Remove running boards
Maybe add rear spoiler?
Intake?
Add front mud flaps
Independent fog light mod

Mounted the roof box. Put it to good use recently. A couple snowboards and two sleds.

The roof box is a Yakima Skybox Lo Carbonite. I've had it for several years now. It's been great with no issues.

Of course, after spending money on wheels and tires I discovered front cracked CV boots!! Going to have to get those replaced.

Seems like it always something that needs to done.
Keeps us on our toes.

Seems like it always something that needs to done.
Keeps us on our toes.

Hopefully I am good for a while now! I had to replace the right front CV boot/axle. The boot was damaged and filled with debris. Work wise, it's much easier to swap in new boot and axle so we went that route.

I am impressed with the SCS wheels. I can't believe how cheap these are...the quality looks and feels solid. The F5 wheels are super lightweight just as they stated...19lbs. Coming from purchasing wheels for my prior cars...anything around 2k or more was the norm on just the wheels alone. These wheels plus their lug nuts was around $750 shipped! The lug nuts seem to be solid as well and comes with a spline key that is unique because even Discount Tire didn't have the key. Shipping was quick as well...great customer service.

Tires are 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser MXT. I was going to go with 285s but opted not to because I didn't want to deal with rubbing issues. Once I go with a lift kit, I will get 285s next time. So far I am very pleased with the tires. I will write up my review soon.

On to some pics!

love the wheels.

FYI - 285s don't rub.

FYI - 285s don't rub.

What wheels you running and what's the specs?

I confirmed with a member (Ikarus) on here with the same wheels and this was his input...

Running around town it's been fine, but every now and then when i compress the front driver's side quickly, i hit the black box in the front of the wheel well... been trying to figure out what it is but my searches haven't discovered anything. Though my shocks are shot, maybe that's part of the problem.

I also trimmed the fender guards over the pinch welds behind the tires.

I love the color on yours. I purchased a '98 LX with about 153k miles on it in December and picked it up in January. It's a fun project! Nice pics.

Btw, mine is Forest Green

Last edited:
What wheels you running and what's the specs?

I confirmed with a member (Ikarus) on here with the same wheels and this was his input...

Running around town it's been fine, but every now and then when i compress the front driver's side quickly, i hit the black box in the front of the wheel well... been trying to figure out what it is but my searches haven't discovered anything. Though my shocks are shot, maybe that's part of the problem.

I also trimmed the fender guards over the pinch welds behind the tires.

Yea, I think his vehicle might have other problems. I've been running 285s since I purchased the vehicle and prior to any other mods/lift, etc. and never had a problem. Do a search in the 100 series section on tire sizes. There are numerous threads on this topic. Anyway, very nice vehicle. Congrats. And nice photos!

Last edited:
I love the color on yours. I purchased a '98 LX with about 153k miles on it in December and picked it up in January. It's a fun project! Nice pics.

Btw, mine is Forest Green

Right on man, congrats! Hope you enjoying it so far as much as I am! I looked at one in Forest Green, came close to getting it but then this out came up. The only thing that's bugging me is their spots where the clear coat is no longer there and the roof has a ton of faded spots. It looks bad. When money allows, I want to repaint but for the time being I may wrap the hood and rear + roof to hide the fade.

Posting this as a reminder to myself that I need to do this soon. Heater T's replacement.

1. 2 X 87248-60460 T Fitting $14.15 Total $28.30
  2. 87245-6A210 $16.74 (water hose)
  3. 87245-6A800 $27.59 (water hose)
  4. 87245-6A220 $23.66 (water hose)
  5. 87245-6A180 $21.51 (water hose)
  6. 99556-20155 $9.71 (heater hose)
  7. 87245-6A190 $31.95 (water hose)

Love the SCS wheels! And I'm thinking about getting myself some Mastercrafts as well.

Love the SCS wheels! And I'm thinking about getting myself some Mastercrafts as well.

I get compliments all the time on the wheels now. For the money you can't go wrong. Also, these Mastercrafts are great! I've put almost 3k miles now. No complaints. Slight hum at highway speeds but its minimal. Great grip on snow, slush, compact snow and dirt/gravel. I haven't used it on sand yet. Tires do great in the rain as well...we've been seeing a lot of it here in the Northwest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom