Firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan, cutting Q. Been doing some cutting. Occasionally get 'soupbowls' but they always - always- curve to the right every time, never left. WHY? Cuts are corrected usually by sharpening and once by bar replacement.

A person can always sharpen one side of the chain better than the other.

It takes experience and skill to sharpen the cutters on both sides equally.

You are better at sharpening your left cutters. The right side cutters do not cut as good and is cutting slower and creating a drag. The left cutters are simply out cutting the cutters on the right. So the chain cuts to the right.

When this is done a lot, the Rails on the guide bar will wear uneven. The excessive "force/pressure" the right cutter is putting on the right rail of guide bar will cause the rail to wear down.

Most older chainsaw shops have a "Barshop" that can true the Rails. It generally cost $10 but for some reason they would rather sell you a new guide bar.

A little Cutting today
IMG_0287.JPG

Wood Pile is holding up good. I'm keeping ahead of the widow who uses this to heat her house.

She has used one of the end rows but I have added a 4th long row.
IMG_0290.JPG

One this pile gets a lot bigger, I'll bring the log splitter up to the ranch and split it all.
IMG_0291.JPG

Three trailer loads split and stacked at the house today
IMG_0427.JPG
That is my wife for size reference of the Oak rounds and the pile of split wood.
IMG_0438.JPG

All cleaned up. Burned the slash and took two loads of BBQ wood to friends/neighbors.
IMG_0447.JPG

From what they have been saying, drowned is the keyword. Good, you guys can use the moisture.:)

Hell Dan..you even had time to York rake out the tire tracks!

Those dump trailers sure do make a difference

Stove consumption has exceeded our stockpile for the first time this year.

IMG_4380.JPG

This was last summer at my folks house. Silver maple down from storms that moved through. Grandpa is teaching the boy how to wedge.

Saw is an Stihl MS291.

Not sure why the lack of PPE and shorts...he knows better

Last edited:
If not too personal, how much did 2 tons of pellets cost in your area?

I want to say... ~$630? We have space heaters in the downstairs bed rooms, but otherwise the house is heated with the pellet stove and the hvac just running in "circulate" mode. It's my first house with a pellet stove; I love that you can basically leave it running for a few days without futzing with it. The hopper holds 24-72 hours depending on high up the burn rate is. No visible smoke either. Super clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom