Firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just walked my fence line this morning way in the back of the property and found a 36" diameter Water Oak had been uprooted and took out some fence. I don't break out the '603' very often but looks like it will be the least amount of work to buck it up.

I have various length bars for it...but its wearing the 48" from the last time I had to use it. Run .404 chain on it and 7 rim sprocket. Very torque-y saw...you can bury the bar in hardwood and lean on it, it will keep on chugging. I use it a lot when I need to make plunge/bore cuts.

Old School German made.

Solo 603a.jpg

Got stuck hauling some dirt up the driveway. Decided that bringing up some wood into the woodshed might have to wait until it dries out a bit more. Thankful for the winch today.
59A75C88-757A-4770-B56A-76EB6F608703.jpeg
4A3C9BD5-AEE9-4307-96E4-9016575AA7CD.jpeg

Got stuck hauling some dirt up the driveway. Decided that bringing up some wood into the woodshed might have to wait until it dries out a bit more. Thankful for the winch today.

Looks like there might be some clay in that soil? If so...always slick when it gets wet.

Bkfj40, what model trailer is that?

Flintknapper, love that Solo. Those are well made saws!

Bkfj40, what model trailer is that?

M101 - bought it at gov auction for $125. It didn't come with tarp or bows - I guess that is why it went so cheap.

Looks like there might be some clay in that soil? If so...always slick when it gets wet.

Mainly weathered shale - but same results as clay - slick as s*** when wet. I tried to get a run up the hill, but the hill is a mountain and is just too long.

Wow....seriously? Someone chunked a 10-10?

Not a big McCulloch fan myself....but I dig Vintage Saws.

Nice find.

Yes, they are. Until you pull one apart you really can't appreciate how they spared no expense designing and building them.

NO ONE uses my Solo except me. All my other saws are available to use...but not my Solo.

sticker2.JPG

You can tell this one means business....just listening to it at idle. It happens to be a fairly rare 'West Coast' model that has the correct free breathing air filter, full wrap handle and huge 'Dog'. Really mean't to be felling saw for the big Conifers out there (particularly the Pacific NW), but it cuts big hardwoods here too.

603WC.jpg

Last edited:
5 cords in the shed, pretty much 5 in the meadow. Call it 3 average years. It's all Ash. That bug came in and killed dozens of really nice Ash trees. I'm just trying to get them processed before they rot.

Not firewood yet but I know what my weekends are gonna look like for the next month.
20190623_182506.jpg

And no collateral damage, looks like lots of stuff around?
I'd guess it a 90yo White Oak...?

We came out pretty lucky actually. We have 3 ~100 yo oaks within striking distance of the house and this one fell almost perfectly to avoid anything expensive.
The same storm that brought this down also snapped a wooden power pole up the line towards the road. We weren't home when the storm came through but it must have been a doozy.

Good job. Big tree.

What kind of tree is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom