battery drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1993 that has a parasitic battery drain I have used a light tester on all fuses pulling each one to check circuit to no avail any help would be appreciated just happened the other day just normal driving no rowdy off roaring thanks for any info

What battery do you currently have and how old is it?

Mine will be dead from a full charge if I let it sit for six days without starting it and can't figure it out either.are you saying that yours will go dead all the sudden as your driving or did I misunderstand?

Are you fully charging the battery after each time it goes dead?
Take the battery out, charge it and check it the next day before installing it. It may be nothing more than a bad battery. This of course assumes that your parasitic draw test is accurate.

Have you tested the battery? Autozone or other autoparts place will test it for you. May be that it's just not holding the charge and needs to be replaced.

My parasitic draw was due to the DS door jamb switch. I added gasket material to the plunger using super glue. Others have done similar things to add material so the plunger is pushed in further. I then replaced driver and passenger side switches because I felt like it. IIRC the interior light are on a 10 amp fuse circuit that also powers the radio and a couple other things. Fuse is located in the fuse box on the DS inner wheel well.

My parasitic draw was due to the DS door jamb switch. I added gasket material to the plunger using super glue. Others have done similar things to add material so the plunger is pushed in further. I then replaced driver and passenger side switches because I felt like it. IIRC the interior light are on a 10 amp fuse circuit that also powers the radio and a couple other things. Fuse is located in the fuse box on the DS inner wheel well.
I'm experiencing an unknown battery drain aswell , new battery and still happens . Just to confirm the interior light and radio share a fuse??
The door jam switch , can that really drain the battery ?

When the door is open the dome light is lit. The bad switch meant there was current going to the light all the time. Not enough to make it light up enough to see, but enough to draw the battery after 3 days. Got worse till it drained in about 1 day. I think there was more to it but don't remember exactly. Check for draw at the battery whilst pushing the switch/switches all the way in. Mine was the drivers side but could be any of them. Driver side I'm guessing because of the most use.
Ypu can also pull fuses while checking for battery draw until it disappears to narrow down the search for the draw.

When the door is open the dome light is lit. The bad switch meant there was current going to the light all the time. Not enough to make it light up enough to see, but enough to draw the battery after 3 days. Got worse till it drained in about 1 day. I think there was more to it but don't remember exactly. Check for draw at the battery whilst pushing the switch/switches all the way in. Mine was the drivers side but could be any of them. Driver side I'm guessing because of the most use.
Ypu can also pull fuses while checking for battery draw until it disappears to narrow down the search for the draw.
ok, cheers I'll give that a go.

Mine is experiencing the same symptoms.
Started last week. I did not drive for 3 weeks, being on vacation. When I got back it started right up. Drove it around a bit for 3 weeks and then it started to drain, not all the way but low enough not to start.

I've checked the lights inside, they are all off when the doors are closed. I'll just turn the switch off just in case. I am charging it for the second time this week. I'll take it to Autozone (I hope @jtwopark won't see this post :hillbilly: ), or a local shop I usually go to from time to time.

Go and use up all their free resources just don't give them your money!

I'll take it Costco tomorrow, maybe I'll get a replacement under warranty.

2016-09-17 17.52.47.jpg

2016-09-17 17.52.59.jpg

The parasitic drain in my '94 was the module that controls the light ring around the ignition switch.

There's an arguably unnecessary protection diode in that module that fails and becomes a resistor. The symptom is that when you close the doors and/or arm the alarm the ignition switch light dims but never turns completely off.

It's an easy fix, or you can just remove that lightbulb. There's a thread about it. search "room light control module" i think.

The parasitic drain in my '94 was the module that controls the light ring around the ignition switch.

There's an arguably unnecessary protection diode in that module that fails and becomes a resistor. The symptom is that when you close the doors and/or arm the alarm the ignition switch light dims but never turns completely off.

It's an easy fix, or you can just remove that lightbulb. There's a thread about it. search "room light control module" i think.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'll look into it.

I've been dealing with this myself. It's random and intermittent for som reason. Will give these ideas a shot....

Using your suggested search, I found your comprehensive thread on the module. Thanks!

Repairing the Room Lamp Control Module aka Ignition Key Cylinder Light Relay

In another thread I saw a suggestion to just clip a diode out, for people who just want to stop the voltage leak. (An option also mentioned, and highlighted in red, in the thread above.) Ignition dimming relay

What is the amp reading you are getting when you test for the parasitic drain?

Using your suggested search, I found your comprehensive thread on the module. Thanks!
Repairing the Room Lamp Control Module aka Ignition Key Cylinder Light Relay

In another thread I saw a suggestion to just clip a diode out, for people who just want to stop the voltage leak. (An option also mentioned, and highlighted in red, in the thread above.) Ignition dimming relay

Yup. The transistor on that board is rated for ~100v so the diode isn't really necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom