fj40 with linked coilover 80 axle project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys here it is. I am in the middle of my project. I doing a 4 link rear and 3 link front with coilovers on my 40 with 80 axles. I am a newbie, this is my first build so feel free to let me know what you think, I am always open to any and all suggestions. I have the links tacked in place and about to start work on the steering and hardpan bar. I have decided to have the frame hieght 25" off of the ground. I have extended the wheel base to 98". I am going to run 37x13.50 procomp xterrains ( got them new, never mounted for $200.00 each from a friend of mine in the tire buss). Most of the wheeling I do is in sand, creek and river beds and the beach.
I hope this all works out well. I guess I will find out on test day!
I will get pics on here tomorrow

Please post pics. I am thinking of this swap on my Bj 70
Good luck

IMO, take the height down 2" or more if you can..

The lower CoG is good, but it'll also make it easier to get good geometry with your links if they are flatter.

My junk was 23" to the frame previously with the 38.5's at 30psi, and it was just a standard SOA setup.

How much uptravel are you allowing for?

I will have 12" shocks in the back and 14" in the front so I will do something like 6" up 8" down in the front and 5" up and 7" down in the back, I am guessing here.

here are a few pics of the progress so far.
DSC00873.JPG
DSC00871.JPG
DSC00869.JPG

I posted these pics in another post but I started my own thread on it so I wouldnt be using someone elses thread. ( suggestion from pace)

:bounce: Nicely done so far! Good to see more linked FJ's out there ;p
Got a few ?s for 'ya:
What wall is that DOM? Looks like 1 1/2" uppers & 1 3/4" lowers. I'd sleeve the lowers surely.
It would have been a good time to do a wheelbase stretch, wondering why you didn't?
It looks like your oil pan isn't in the way so could you have possibly triangulated the front to avoid the trac bar?
What's your drivetrain setup?
Have you already planned out your trac bar location?

:bounce: Nicely done so far! Good to see more linked FJ's out there ;p
Got a few ?s for 'ya:
What wall is that DOM? Looks like 1 1/2" uppers & 1 3/4" lowers. I'd sleeve the lowers surely.
It would have been a good time to do a wheelbase stretch, wondering why you didn't?
It looks like your oil pan isn't in the way so could you have possibly triangulated the front to avoid the trac bar?
What's your drivetrain setup?
Have you already planned out your trac bar location?
The lowers are 2" with .250 wall the uppers are 1.750 with .125 wall. I did stretch the wheel base some it is at 98" now. the reason I am going to use a hardpan bar is because I was told it was better for driving on the road. The drivetrain is a 305 chevy a 4 speed chevy trans and a toyota transfer case and fj80 axles.

looks great but you need to move the front upper link over the diff our your going to have a big problem. Because there will be a lot of torque. We are getting ready to release a 40 long arm kit for the fj40 watch in toyota owner mag
Why would it cause more of a problem with the current location of the upper link rather than over the diff if the height of my link off of the axle would be the same?

Thanks for all of the input guys keep it coming.

Just helping we build a lot of long arm kits you want 4" up front and rear and so you can have drop
I didnt understand what you said here about 4" up front and rear. Are you talking about suspension travel? Oh and to recap, the wheel base is at 95" not 98" sorry. Also I may try and add another link to the diff side but I may have a clearance problem with my driveshft on that side.

The problem with running the upper link on the DS is that during articulation the PS will twist, a lot..

You are much more likely to bind the U joint with the arm on the DS..

I think you're going to find that you have *alot* of anti-dive & anti-squat. Looks like ~10" of separation at the axle and ~4" at the frame?
I didnt know that the antisquat was such a big factor in the front. I thought it was more critical in the rear.

AS is actually Antidive in the front. It is not as much a accleration thing as a braking thing. lots of AD in the front can do odd things when braking..

The problem with running the upper link on the DS is that during articulation the PS will twist, a lot..

You are much more likely to bind the U joint with the arm on the DS..
Ok I will try and run another link on the PS I just dont know if I will have a clearance problem with my driveshaft. Thanks!

AS is actually Antidive in the front. It is not as much a accleration thing as a braking thing. lots of AD in the front can do odd things when braking..
so I should separate my upper and lower links at the frame more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom