The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny thing, the tank looks a lot more orange than red. Any clues on that by chance? The old ones were the more cylindrical shape, with the gold colored, seamed tanks coming after that. I only thought they used the red color after the gold. It's possibly just age and time, but who knows.

Annnnnddd, another Co worker brought me in a 413D stove today. I now have one of the older round tank stoves :)

Funny thing, the tank looks a lot more orange than red. Any clues on that by chance? The old ones were the more cylindrical shape, with the gold colored, seamed tanks coming after that. I only thought they used the red color after the gold. It's possibly just age and time, but who knows.

That stove is probably right around 1960. The tanks changed to red right around then. Your "orange" tank is just faded red paint. The 200A's do the same thing. It should clean up OK, but I don't like the legs on this model.

I have the exact same stove with the gold tank so it's likely a year or two older than yours.

Your new 413D should be a nice stove. It's actually the most useful size for camping out of a truck, unless you can get a 3 burner. Does it have legs that pull out of the bottom?

That stove is probably right around 1960. The tanks changed to red right around then. Your "orange" tank is just faded red paint. The 200A's do the same thing. It should clean up OK, but I don't like the legs on this model.

I have the exact same stove with the gold tank so it's likely a year or two older than yours.

Yep, they didn't make that model for all that long, but it's cute and was free. The room in my 60 is at a premium ;) All I have to do is get rid of the mousie nest (and mousie) that are currently inhabiting it.

Your new 413D should be a nice stove. It's actually the most useful size for camping out of a truck, unless you can get a 3 burner. Does it have legs that pull out of the bottom?

I already have a 413E that we used over the weekend on the back porch for hot oil and broth fondue. The extra size is very nice. I'm still on the hunt for a 3 burner. I had a JC higgins 3 burner, but gave it to my brother in case of hurricanes power outages. He new has a newer dual fuel two burner stove but the bastage won't give me back the three burner ;)

Both of my 413's have the flat bar legs that pull out from the bottom.

Some advice about 3 burners...

I love the 3 burners and since There is usually plenty of room in a wagon it's what I take. There center burner is big and hot and almost any pan or camp oven will go on it.

Anyway...Assuming you actually want to take a 3 burner camping, get a 426B or 426C. The reason is that you can pack the Coleman stove stand AND a 200A lantern inside the case of the stove. Both of these models also use the current 413/426 generator that is still being made. I believe the 426 and 426A use a different generator and I'm not sure if it's available.

My go to set up is a 426B with camp stand and 200A lantern inside. I am changing over to a 242 lantern inside because it's cooler and they also fit. The stove, it's stand, and the lantern all pack together. ANd by the way, you want the stove stand. They are extremely useful and save table space:

Utah2013213640x480_zps34ee2429.jpg

Even Ali, hard core Propane guy, liked my 426B:

Utah2013183640x480_zps787b66d6.jpg

One last hint--I actually prefer the 426C. It uses modern style spring tabs to hold the wind wings but is otherwise identical to the B. So if you don't have one, and you're shopping, the 426C has everything you will want. I recently got a C, had to pay $25 for it, not my usual $20.

I have somehow ended up with five 3 burners. One I'm giving to TrickyT, One I modified with adjustable screw in legs-for uneven surfaces. One has an aluminum case, and the B and C are the ones I actually take. BTW-Stay away from the Aluminum case 443's. They look cool, but the aluminum is thin and soft and is too easily damaged to be of much use when 4wheeling.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks!

Picked this one up for 15 bucks. Found this on craigslist. Any idea what model it is? Gonna be repainting it and cleaning it up.

ForumRunner_20130911_230214.jpg

ForumRunner_20130911_230205.jpg

ForumRunner_20130911_230205.jpg

ForumRunner_20130911_230214.jpg

why would you repaint it?

look for the model number under the latch.

Picked this one up for 15 bucks. Found this on craigslist. Any idea what model it is? Gonna be repainting it and cleaning it up.

View attachment 804950

View attachment 804949
They put the fuel filler cap on the stove side of the tank to keep people from refilling it when mounted on the stove. All I can say is it is after the mid '60s which is when mine is from. Mine has the filler on the end of the tank.

Would painting it ruin it? The cover is all scratched up and dirty. So I am gonna revive it some. Gonna see what model it is.

Thanks!

It's a 425(F?). The condition looks good, and it works. Some simple green and a scrub brush is all that needs to go camping. They are a very common stove model, so rather than repainting, I'd just find one in better condition if you don't like this one. But really, this one is good. Rust is the real enemy, so if not rusty, clean it up, wax it for water resistance and enjoy.

The overall condition is good. You are right Cruiserdrew it is a 425F. Just finished cleaning it up not rust whatsover just old food grease hardened on shell, had to use a scrubber to get it off. So will need to paint it to protect the areas I scrubbed. Gonna see if I can find the same green at Home Depot.

Cheers!!

So we were talking about a 426C and I thought I'd post some photos of why I like the 426B and 426C. The C does have a different wind wing support, but they are otherwise identical.

This is the feature I like the best. A lantern (this one is a 242C) and a Coleman stove stand both fit easily inside the case of the stove.

Notice the modern style wind wing supports. Works much better than the supports on the 426B. Here is the C:

In contrast to the B:

Anyway, the 426B and Cs are badass stoves where everything was done well.

It was the first suitcase stove with instructions:

It fits on the stove stand like it was made to, and comes with a towel holder, or if you fold the lid out on a picnic table, the towel bar is just the right height to make the lid a shelf. The case has real hinges too, not the sheet metal pivots of later stoves. And that's not to mention, it's an actual case. Later stoves are boxes with lids, the earlier ones are actual cases and fully overlapping on the corners.

Even the fuel tank has extra supports and it's huge-3.5 pints, almost 1/2 gallon.

Notice the generator has a brazed on square nut to help you remove it? This was later changed to a hex and then eliminated on later stoves.

And to show that the tank and a Lantern fit in a 426B, Here they are:

Now just for some contrast, here is a 426D, and notice a lantern won't fit due to a change in the case design. The 426D is still a great stove though.

Here's another 426D varient:

Here's a trio of my favorite lanterns.

And a size comparison of 242 vs 200A:

Here is a 242 compared to a full size double mantle 228:

This is an interesting single next to a 242. Only Coleman geeks will know this one:

Back to the 426C:

Last edited:
Pretty cool, Drew - never thought of storing the lantern/stand inside one of those.

Nice pix, too.

Pretty cool, Drew - never thought of storing the lantern/stand inside one of those.

Nice pix, too.

It's not my idea. It's printed on the 426C box, so obviously Coleman was thinking about this. It does save space though.

The complaint about Coleman stoves is they take up too much room, but when you consider they carry their own fuel and in this case, a lantern, it's not so bad.

Will the lantern fit in a 428? Don't have one, but I've been looking - If lantern won't fit, then I'll prolly just stay with the 426C.

Will the lantern fit in a 428? Don't have one, but I've been looking - If lantern won't fit, then I'll prolly just stay with the 426C.

No-the case has the wide burner support like the 426D and so it just won't work. Otherwise a 428 would be great since it can burn unleaded with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom