The Coleman Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked this up today from my father in law who purchased it new in the 70's. Can't wait to get the family out and use it.

jug5.jpg

Man, your tent brings back some memories. We had those same kind of tents when I was in Scouts. Coleman donated those kind of tents to our scout troop. Went on a lot of camping trips using those tents. They were always roomy and you could stand up in them. Nice.

Found a guy on Ebay selling the seals for my dads old phoebus 625. 15 mins later it's up and rolling. Works great actually :) plus the tin had some of the old yuck stickers on it :)
525721_10201167550424889_1679156368_n.jpg

602065_10201167585505766_491573539_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool,

Old Iron (and Brass)

Found something different.

This was on Craig's list as a "Kerosene" lantern and advertised as something to hang in your cabin to lend "rustic decor".

In fact, it's a Coleman Air-o-Lantern. I believe these are some of the earliest Colemans and date to 1917 or so. I did find a faint patent stamping that said 1913.

Anyway, for $15 it looked interesting. I just cleaned it up this afternoon. No restoration. It's cool in the details. Virtually all of it is brass, the brass has been nickle plated on the vent, the fount, the main burner tube, the valve gland nut and the screw in burner support. (looks like a figure 8). It came complete with almost 100 years of bug skeletons, and some cobwebs dating to WW2.

32a50d81-68eb-4235-a856-4254694d3b8f_zpsd5c614bc.jpg

Air-o-lantern005640x480_zps1ddf7030.jpg

Surprisingly, it lit right up!

Air-o-lantern012640x480_zps2e186ce5.jpg

Not bad for a 97 year old relic of the past.

Air-o-lantern014480x640_zpsb6ce7f95.jpg

Last edited:
That, is freaking awesome!

Wow, that's older than my underwear.

Those Coleman two-burner stoves have prolly cooked more Hormel canned hash and made more disgusting Dinty Moore palatable than all the home stoves in the world, combined ...

Those Coleman two-burner stoves have prolly cooked more Hormel canned hash and made more disgusting Dinty Moore palatable than all the home stoves in the world, combined ...

This is so true!

Camping tip for easy dinner:

Mix one large can Dinty Moore beef stew with one can Van Camps Pork n beans (and the secret: one tablespoon vinegar, any kind). Heat n eat! You'll have a satisfying meal and plenty of methane to sink up the tent!

Note: if this is not done on a two-burner Coleman stove after bumping around in a cruiser in bum-fawk-who-knows-where for 6 hours it will not taste as good...

:D :rolleyes:

No super vintage, but not bad for a $20 Craigslist score!
425F499 and CL2

what the?:bang:
was that local? boy, nice score.
can always use another in that condition, eh?:clap:
if ya need any parts Charlie, let me know. might be able to help.
Onward...:rolleyes:
:cool:

p.s. saw you the other day...
River bar clean up is on the 8th

what the?:bang:
was that local? boy, nice score.
can always use another in that condition, eh?:clap:
if ya need any parts Charlie, let me know. might be able to help.
Onward...:rolleyes:
:cool:

p.s. saw you the other day...
River bar clean up is on the 8th
Thanks Russ!
Eureka:)

Will get my first look at the cups this weekend. Can't imagine they need anything other than a little oil.

Will put the clean-up on the calendar. Thanks!:cheers:

A buddy found a old 425B in a barn on the property he just bought and gave it to me. Including the new friend that was inside it.. Not bad shape, but may take a bit to get it back up and rolling.

I have not had one of the smaller two burner stoves till now. Cool old toy!

20130909_072041[1].jpg

20130909_072214[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom