3F-E Thermostat housing switch/sensors ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt.mcinnes

2F-ETI
Threads
All three electrical conections were damaged when removed (Not By Me) A,C & D so does anyone know what they are and which is which.
100_1670.jpg

100_1669.jpg

A-I think is the Temp switch
C-I think is the cold start injector timer switch
D-I think is the Temp sensor
Please confirm the above
B- is a Vacume switch but to what?
E-I have no Idea what the hole is for, it's a threaded hole that goes through in to the thermostat like the others but had nothing in it that I recall though it looks more like a it would suit a compression fitting than a sensor of sorts.

I am having a hard time figuring out the switches as well.
Looking at the engine from the front, meaning looking towards the back of tyhe vehicle, this is what I see.
On the left of the thermostat housing, as in the first picture above, there is the single wire sensor, which seems to be the temp switch. I checked the resistance and there was none, so I guess this is an on off sensor that causes resistance when hot.
On the other side of the thermostat housing I see 3 different sensors/switches/?

The first one I see is the same as the picture above labeled C. I suppose we are all in agreement that this is the col start injector timer switch? This activates the cold start injector when cold? I checked the resistance and all the measurements fall within spec in the FSM
Then, below this there are 2 more sensors.
The one closer to the front of the vehicle, and which is shown in the picture above as hole "E", is a single wire sensor. What sensor is this?
Is this the temp gauge sensor?
Then just aft of this there is a 2 or 2+ wire sensor or solenoid or switch?
No idea. Its a tight spot and cant get in there easily.
But the FSM says to test the water temp sensor accross the sensor's 2 terminals, so maybe this is it? Since the other 2 sensors are single terminal?
Does anyone know?

Also, what is the purpose of these 3 temp sensors? I understand what the cold start temp timer switch does. And I understand that the gauge has a temp sensor. But why are there 1 or 2 additional sensors on the thermostat housing? One for the computer?

Attached are some photos.
The first picture shows the passenger (right if facing forward)side of the thermostat housing. My guess is that this sensor is the temp sensor switch.
The next photo is of the left or driver side of the them housing. The grey connector is what I think is the cold start injector timer switch. Just below this switch is a single wire temp sensor and Im wondering if this is for the temp gauge?

The connector/sensor in question has a green connector in photo #3. It is below the cold start temp timer switch and aft of the single wire temp sensor.

Can anyone identify these all?

DSCN1722.jpg

DSCN1725.jpg

DSCN1726.jpg

Will this help?
Found else ware on the board.

3F-Thermostat-housing.jpg

Wow, that's perfect.
Now my next question is function.
I understand or think that the temp sender is for the temp gauge in the dash.
I know the cold start temp switch is for the cold start injector.
Does anyone know the function of the other 2 sensors?
I'm assuming that the water temp sensor is for the ecu.

I'm trying to diagnose a cold start problem I'm having.
I suspect the cold start injector system. I tested the cold start injector timer switch and it meets the specs listed in the fsm.
I tested the resistance on the cold start injector and it is within the specified range.
I suppose the next step is to test fuel pressure at the cold start injector? Once started, the engine runs fine in all situations with no hesitation or stumbling.
But when cold, it takes a bit to start. And half the time it will stall after a couple seconds on the first start.
Seems like either the cold start injector is not functioning or there is low fuel pressure at startup. Maybe the fuel pressure is bleeding off when off for some time?

temp switch 182-67 is for the high temperature line (fuel) pressure up system to aid in hot starts. I believe you are correct on the others.

Will this help?
Found else ware on the board.
Thanks for these fantastic pics. I'm new at this so please excuse. How do I remove the non hose parts from the thermostat? I saw a notch in the side of the BSVS valve for instance but couldn't work out how to detach it. Could you help with the others too?

You have to go to the hex potion where it is threaded into the housing, should be 17 and/or 19mm. Use a deep socked.

Jerry D.

Sry about that. The BSVS will have to be wrenched out with an open end wrench. The plastic part is epoxied to the plug to the best of my knowledge.
The others should allow a deep socket to fit over...

Jerry D.

Got the top of the housing lifted, pulled t'stat out and this is what's inside. New t'stat looks different too. Any ideas? What are the pieces inside? Do they stay or go?

image-2542786329.jpg

image-1914359082.jpg

image-2276262152.jpg

image-472185454.jpg

image-3992847063.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom