Which cruiser is better? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am new to the world of Land Cruisers but have decided to purchase one with research and knowledge. I am not mechanically inclined but have a friend and relatives who are that could help out with easy repairs. I am not looking to put too much $ into one (i.e. a new engine) as I am a student. I do however have some money for cosmetic touch ups and small fix ups. I am looking at a 1985 BJ70 with a 3.4L engine - 265 000 km selling for 6500. I am also looking at a 1987 LJ-71 with a 2.4L Turbo engine, 180 000 km. The LJ-71 is in better condition but i have read that the 2.4L Turbo engines are not reliable and can result in hefty fixes. Is the BJ70's 3.4L engine more reliable and fuel efficient? Is this a no brainer? Thanks so much. I understand this is pretty basic stuff but appreciate any help. :meh: Cheers .

LJ 71 = Red Land Cruiser in Pics attached
BJ 70 = Black Cruiser in Pics attached

LC Red.JPG

LC Black.JPG

The 2LT can be a bit of a problem child, but more of the problems centre around the 2LTE with the electronic injection pump and its tendency to run hot.

The BJ70 - if it is clean - will outlast the LJ71 as far as the engine goes. The 70 series can have problems with rust in the rear quarters, front of the rear wheel wells, windshield frame on both the FRP and hard tops (but less so on the hard tops), rocker panels etc. Look carefully for rust!

The frames can also have a rust issue, but not anywhere nearly as bad as the 60 and the 40 series - the construction was a bit different which reduces the collection of dirt inside the frame (which rapidly leads to rust through).

Running boards (factory type) on the 70 series will dramatically improve the lifespan of your lower doors.

The 3B is going to have pretty similar fuel consumption to the 2LT, and could end up being better with larger loads and tires.

The inline injection pump on the 3B will far out last the rotary unit on the 2LT.

The H55F transmission on the BJ70 is far better than the aluminum job on the LJ.

The BJ will also come with 9.5" diffs in HD Land Cruiser axle housings, the LJ will have 8" diffs in lighter duty axle housings.

The coil springs of the LJ will ride way better than the leaves of the BJ. Old Man Emu springs in either will improve ride and handling.

There's a lot more to add, but I'll let others chime in.

~John

i was interested in the black BJ70 for a while. First I asked for pics of the worst rust areas and he sent me some pics of the wheel wells. They didn't look too bad. I asked him if anyone else had come to see it and he said a few. Then I knew something was up. So then I explained that I would be flying out to buy it from NB and I really didn't want to waste a trip for nothing. He then sent me the real rust pics. He offered it to me for $5500 but the rust is real bad and very poorly fixed so I declined. Ask him for those pics before you make a trip.

Hey everyone thanks for your help. I am going to keep looking and weighing my options as I save $ in order to make a conscious purchase that I am happy with. Glad everyone is so friendly and helpful, cheers!

I have been looking for a 70 for my brother which is probably the same age as you and he is the student as well. 70 series are for sure a cool and rare trucks.

I came to the conclusion that finding rust free BJ70 is impossible, as salt on our roads does a good job melting snow and corroding metals. The one i have seen will require a full frame of restoration in order to keep them on a road for a years to come.

Rust is expensive to repair, so dont waist your money on ON landcruiser. Save up and get one from rust free province like BC, but i will stay from LJ too as to known problems.

Thanks for your help diesel69er but no worries! I think it is safe to say that I should keep looking around. This thread has been very helpful.

here's a CDM LHD that's up north in this province. Probably go for about 24 grand. This is original, not restored!! No rust. Very, very rare to see this around here...

mintbj1.jpg

mintbj2.jpg

mintbj3.jpg

mintbj4.jpg

Last edited:
here's a CDM LHD that's up north in this province. Probably go for about 24 grand. This is original, not restored!! No rust. Very, very rare to see this around here...

That is a clean rig! A bit of a digression, but can someone tell me who makes those alloy wheels? I've seen those around, and would like to try to get a set for my LJ78. My factory 16"x6" rims are pretty limiting to the width of tires I can mount.

[...]
Rust is expensive to repair, so dont waist your money on ON landcruiser. Save up and get one from rust free province like BC, but i will stay from LJ too as to known problems.

Wow, you must not live in BC.

We are most certainly not a rust-free province, though definitely not as bad as Ontario or Quebec - we don't pave our roads with salt, but on the coast we do live partially submerged in rain water for about half the year.

~John

hey diesel69er do you think you could email all those pics of the rust on second thought? That would be great.

oh okay my bad i thought there were more! thanks again !

ok yeah, there are a few more but a lot of repeats for some reason. These pics are the ones that show the rust the best. just looks to me like one of those trucks where the deeper you dig, the worse it gets. he says the frame is good, but he said the body was good too except for a few rust spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom