Rear ¼ panel for the cargo area.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
So, I cant afford them nice quarter panels from WAGONGEAR.
So, Im going to try these access panels to throw stuff in there...

ED-2002.gif

I got them here..

They also sell them on a plastic version but I decided to go with a 10x10 steel version that has the option to put a lock on it down the road....

I'll post pics once I get them installed...

BTW.. my panels are ¼ wood thick.. and held with nutserts and machine screws so I should be able to hold the metal access panel without any issues...

Last edited:
x2 - But, that is just a door, are you just planning on having a door to the bare quarter panel, or making some kind of casing so that it is enclosed when you open the door?

There are "marine" type access doors you can buy (I think thats what the wagongeer guy uses) You can get them with a lock built in.

Just the door..
My ¼ is already lined up with the cheapo version of Dynamat....
Might put some Styrofoam so bulky items ( coolant/oil/filter/cables) don't find their way all the way to the bottom...

I have seen the Marine type panels but this are by far the cheapest I have found...!!

If any of you got a source for cheaper price post up...!!

Last edited:
Careful what you line the bottom with. If it absorbs moisture, it will promote corrosion.

I dig those access doors! Thanks for sharing. I was going to make my own access door to my custom panels but this would work out just fine.

So, I cant afford them nice quarter panels from WAGONGEAR.
I can't afford those damn things either!!!!
WAY too expensive. :doh:

There are "marine" type access doors you can buy (I think thats what the wagongeer guy uses) You can get them with a lock built in.
I've got a marine style hatch between the front seats to access my flush center console storage area, but that is the only one. The rear quarters and tailgate panels are made from steel and Marine grade HDPE, but I've not been able to find a good size standard hatch for those applications (and even the ones I found were still quite expensive).

Just the door..
My ¼ is already lined up with the cheapo version of Dynamat....
Might put some Styrofoam so bulky items ( coolant/oil/filter/cables) don't find their way all the way to the bottom...
That should be all you need, my panels are just access panels to the cavity as well, I find that as long as you pack thing in the right order they stay put and don't wander to the bottom, but the side panels are really for things I pretty much never need, or very rarely at least.
I have seen the Marine type panels but this are by far the cheapest I have found...!!
If any of you got a source for cheaper price post up...!!
The best price I found for the good marine hatches was at Hamilton marine, but they are still over $100 for medium sized ones.
I think you've got a good cost effective solution there. If you end up with any rattles send me a picture of the problem edges and maybe I can get you set up with some edge trim or padding tape to quiet it out.
Post up when you get them all together!
:cheers:
KR

I have some steel panels that I cut up many years ago. I noticed on my dad's 93 4Runner there are some nice little plastic doors with a latch that can be removed if you have some small things to store. My plan is to weld a little behind the steel panel but attached to it (I don't want stuff rolling around in the fluid film I spray down there) and then put the door on the top, keeping it all Toyota :)
Here is a pic I just found on the net http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...rlz=1T4ADBF_enCA316CA380&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1
Oh and my panels are held on with speednuts and machine screws (well they will be when I put them on the FJ, on my BJ I welded nuts on so that I could use bolts, but that was a rusty old truck, I was not concerned about making a mess of it!)
4runner panel.jpg

A buddy of mine had a scrap of metal raingutter placed down in the quarter on his van. Trimmed if to fit just right, and it stopped things from dropping into oblivion.

Hey Kevin
You are too cool man !!
I'll sure post pics once I get them installed...

:beer::beer:

look forward to some pictures. i was going to go down to "tap plasitics" and have them custom cut me some nice PVC or one of there dimond plated 1/4 sheets, and then make a cut out for something like that to install. Regardless there are so many cheap options for those panals without looking to cheesy.

look forward to some pictures. i was going to go down to "tap plasitics" and have them custom cut me some nice PVC or one of there dimond plated 1/4 sheets, and then make a cut out for something like that to install. Regardless there are so many cheap options for those panals without looking to cheesy.

I agree, pics and documentation.

Here's interior panels made of 1/8 in. ABS plastic and a marine hatch covering up the power port station holding (2) 12 v. plugs, AC Converter and a 12 v. rechargeable flashlight.

The last pic. is of the automotive fasteners used to secure the panels to the existing holes.

Good luck!
WMCCTF FJ60 updates 023.jpg
WMCCTF FJ60 updates 020.jpg
WMCCTF FJ60 updates 008.jpg

^^
That is the style I was thinking of... VERY TRICK!!!

Mind sharing where you bought them?????

Thanks

^^
That is the style I was thinking of... VERY TRICK!!!

Mind sharing where you bought them?????

Thanks

Custom cut by DIY.... ;)

You can use your old panels as the pattern and a hand jigsaw to cut the main body, hole saw for the window cranks and drill for the nylon fastners. Very easy.

I researched having the panels manufactured, but after CAD design, cutting and material cost, the price would have been more then most mudders would want to pay.

Good luck!
ABS Door Panel.jpg

Nice hole saw speaker cutouts. I made some 1/4 panels out of 1/4" ply 10 years ago. Still holding up ok, but the ABS looks a lot nicer.

Good fasteners. I've been looking to redo mine with some rivnut/nutserts as I like having tie down hooks on the panels, and don't want them popping off. Though maybe I could just bolt some to the sheetmetal above the panels, and make a couple cutouts along the bottom of the panels for some lower tie downs.

Custom cut by DIY.... ;)

You can use your old panels as the pattern and a hand jigsaw to cut the main body, hole saw for the window cranks and drill for the nylon fastners. Very easy.

I researched having the panels manufactured, but after CAD design, cutting and material cost, the price would have been more then most mudders would want to pay.

Good luck!

No no no...my bad, I was just asking about the marine hatch.

Thanks a lot you just cost me sum money. Do you know if the abs could be bought in gray?

The wagongear panelsre too expensive for the benefit I would gain from them.... but I don't think they are overpriced for the quality and workmanship that went into them.

For those doors you bought, you are just leaving it open behind the access? Even on the passenger side? I wouldn't put anything on that side for the fact that my filler neck was mangled and the rubber seal back into my quarter panel was bad and I had it fill up with fuel.... not to mention all the lines that come in back there just to have loose items floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom