MAT sensor on Ram Jet 350? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
Finalizing the wiring on a 350 Ram Jet install on my 40 and cannot figure out the MAT (Manifold Absolute Temp) sensor crap. It mentions it in the instructions but not in the service book. There is a wiring loom for it but I cannot find it on the engine! There are no pictures with it or listing of where it is...

:confused: (Maybe this is for Big Block applications only?...)

Anyone installed this? Oh yeah, MEFI4 Computer.

These GM instructions could use an overhaul...

Last edited:
I'm not running a tube, just straight air cleaner... :confused:
ramjet01.jpg

The sensor plug on mine only fit certian areas.... MAP is just behind you air cleaner, top "fitting" in you photo. Oval plug 3 wires on mine. I have not got mine running and the harness is still in a box, but that what the lables indicate.

Nocents

Nocents-

Thanks, I've got the MAP sensor plugged in, it's the MAT sensor I can't get straight. The connector is on the loom and the instructions (if you can call them that) SAY it comes with it, but I didn't receive one unless it's somewhere already installed...

Thats what we do is build a real short metal tube,( we used 3 inch exhaust tubing swelled to the right size) welded in a bung and then used rubber inbetween the pieces, works great. I don't know why they call that a mat sensor because it is actually an AIT sensor (air intake temp). All it needs to see is the air temp going into motor. At least this is what my local G.M. guru tells me and he's pretty darn sharp. ...I'll call mike this A.M. and get a part number for you. I would send a pic but the closest one I've done is in Fresno right now. ( I'm in Idaho).... Hope this helps......Rod ( bandito's rock racing) a little plug hehe...:beer:

Thanks for the info Rod. I guess that's where I'm, getting confused. Here are the sensors I have (less the O2 sensor on the exhaust).

IAC: Idle Air Control
TPS: Throttle Position Sensor
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure
ECT: Engine Coolant Temp

The IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor is mentioned in the instructions although not where to install it, but not the service manual. To make things more confusing I didn't get one, AND the wiring harness says "MAT" sensor. So I suppose those that are running the air filter straight to the throttle body are using the MEFI 3 stuff? :confused:

Let me know if you get a part #. My GM dealer hates when I come in w/o a specific year/model...
ramjet01-copy.jpg

So I called my chevy guru's here today and this is the part number you need gm# 2506751.. This is the one we are using in our builds and works perfectly....If you have any questions or need them to order call Shad or Brian at Tyler-Kelley Chevrolet @ 208-746-9801 Have a great day!......Rod p.s. thats in Lewiston Idaho .

Hey by the way if you are running an automatic with that baby make sure you pull the brass pilot bearing out of the rear of the crankshaft.......most of them have one installed for some crazy reason....Just might save you a headache....Rod

Rod-

Thanks for the part #. A buddy of mine here that builds motors knew exactly what I needed and gave me one. The part # will be essential when replacement time arrives! :)

Running a 5 speed manual so I actually had to add a bushing but thanks for the tip.
:beer:

Dom

We do this engine all the time. Assuming we have room between the end of the factory RJ350 air cleaner and the radiator/fan combination, we drill a hole and put the sensor in the metal end of the air cleaner. It's a NPT sensor, so we have historically got a bung of some sort to supply threads on the inside. Works fine.

Don

Dom

Looks like you got the serpentine belt system and changed the compressor. Are you able to keep that thing cool with the radiator that you have.

Don

Yes I put the serpentine kit (without air) in initially, and then added the OBA compressor that I had been running on my old SBC. I wanted to get it up and running and then took my time swapping the OBA back in.

I have not had a problem with the stock radiator and Taurus fan but I have gotten her up to 215-220 on a warm day up a long grade at 70-75 MPH. Nothing too concerning but I live in SoCal so not much heat to deal with here. I doubt it would cut it in AZ.

Dom

This is what I put in my personal 65 fj40. 350 SBC with TBI. The radiator is 32 in wide Griffin, 2X1.25 tubes. Two 12 in spal fans, driver's side on engine temp switch, pass side on adjustable temp switch in water outlet of radiator. I don't have a bunch of miles on it, but haven't gotten it to go over 170 yet. I would have put 2X1.5 tubes, but I have an FJ60 PS box on the frame and that was as thick as I could go.

Don
1014111519.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom