Oxygen Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have a stock 2F, you probably don't have an oxygen sensor. This thread may help -

Any idea where I can find an Oxygen Sensor for a 1983 FJ40?
As mentioned above, without the "probably, you do not have an O2 sensor unless you have a swapped in engine with EFI.

Mark...

This is an original US version. Trying to keep it that way and pass smog. It did have the wrong carburetor which I fixed and I replaced the catalytic converter. Haven't gone in for testing after this work. I was told if I fail twice, I will have trouble with the Nevada DMV. That may be wrong information as well.

Thanks. I was told I need an O2 Sensor but that was wrong. They were looking at the temp sensor.
as has already been stated... Find a new mechanic.

Mark...

This is an original US version. Trying to keep it that way and pass smog. It did have the wrong carburetor which I fixed and I replaced the catalytic converter. Haven't gone in for testing after this work. I was told if I fail twice, I will have trouble with the Nevada DMV. That may be wrong information as well.
Not the end of the world unless you want a specific plate. If you're OK with the classic plate, you don't need to smog check, assuming you drive less than 5k miles per year and have classic insurance on the vehicle. I wanted the blue circa 82 plate, so I smogged mine, but if I didn't want that plate, I wouldn't have.

Thanks. I was told I need an O2 Sensor but that was wrong. They were looking at the temp sensor.
I think find a new shop. The temp sensor only sends a signal to the temp gauge.

My goal is to get it working and get the standard plates. I did try to find a shop that would work on this but no luck. I did ask here but all I got was a schematic of the pollution control system. Recently someone mentioned a restoration shop here in Henderson NV. I had no idea they existed as they don't come up in any searches. I'm going to try them for this and some other minor items.

I'm guessing you're referring to BTB? I'm not positive they'll take it on, they mostly do LS swaps and some diesel. And if they do, they are very expensive.

550 miles away, but I have had a very positive experience with Proffitt's

I think find a new shop. The temp sensor only sends a signal to the temp gauge.
He is talking about the temp sensor at the cat. It is part of the emissions system and is part of determining when air is sent from the air pump into the cat/exhaust system. Not the same as the temp sensor for the gauge.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom