Gun Racks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good. Does it come with mounting hardware, or would i have to fab some brackets like you did?

Did you bolt those end brackets to the top or do they grip something? I like the idea though.

I just poked around the shop until I found some scrap metal that I thought would work then cut it with a saw and painted it to match the rack. The end bar is approximately 1" square so there are numerous ways to mount it above the door frame. I simply used what I had and drilled a couple of small holes to allow me to bolt it to the frame. You obviously want the rack to be secure so you are not hit in the face with a gun when you smack your first "pot-hole." Take care..................1978HJ45

Big Sky Rack installed

Picked up a Big Sky Rack (single gun) and installed it today. I installed it behind the front seats, but forward enough that it doesn't interfere (too much) with anyone sitting in rear side bench seats (only one that actually sits there is my dog anyhow!). I installed it there so it wouldn't interfere with visors, plus if I add another gun I'd have room. Installation was fairly straightforward, it includes the mounting hardware. A few notes for those interested:

1) If mounted in front of the roof pillars, you'll have to shim the mounting flanges (or possibly bend them) as the roof converges going forward so the angle is not 90-deg at the mount. Not sure what this would take as this is not the area I mounted it.
2) Mounting it aft of the roof pillars (which is what I did) forces the extension to exceed the point where the retaining screw holds the extension in place (to prevent rattles). It left about 4 inches of insertion where the retaining screw is probably around 8 inches. I just drilled through both tubes (in two places, one on top and one side) and installed small bolts which makes the install rigid. Test drive through cattle pasture ensured it was solid.
3) Plenty of clearance above the rack/gun where I installed it, in fact I wish I could have it a bit higher but I also have plenty of clearance for my/passengers heads (it's slightly behind anyhow). Easy to access gun, and the install was rigid. We'll see after a few hundred bouncy miles. I'm going to keep a watch on the self-tapping mounting screws, if they loosen up it will be easy to use bolts where I mounted it.
rack1.jpg
rack2.jpg
rack3.jpg

I like the look of the overhead mounts, I wonder if you could mount it on soft top bows. Unfortunately there arent any real good options for locking rifle storage and preserving stock-ish look on a 40.

I was looking at the Big Sky rack for my 40. Haven't bought on yet though.

Hell, I usually just toss whatever in the back seat and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom