How to improve gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '75 FJ40 with 2F engine, Holley, and 3.70 gears. Is there anything that can be done to improve highway mileage? I use my 40 primarily as a light trail, fishing machine. Not worried about heavy duty stuff. I'm open to any ideas. I'm afraid I will sell it if I don't find a way to save gas.

Cruisers are not economical at all. If that's what you are after, then sell it right away. thats all there is to it. I only drive mine in town on the weekends. I bought a little Chevy S-10 pickup to commute in. I will never sell my Cruiser.

I have a '75 FJ40 with 2F engine, Holley, and 3.70 gears. Is there anything that can be done to improve highway mileage? I use my 40 primarily as a light trail, fishing machine. Not worried about heavy duty stuff. I'm open to any ideas. I'm afraid I will sell it if I don't find a way to save gas.

Install an in-cab vacuum gauge and learn to keep manifold vacuum as high as possible. That will buy you a little more mileage. Remember the "Mobil Economy Run" that Rambler usually won? They offered a fuel economy gauge from the factory that did not have numbers on the dial but a green, yellow and red zone......it was a vacuum gauge. Actually pretty helpful in changing your driving habits. Did you ever get the HEI wiring figured out?

GL

Ed

Install an in-cab vacuum gauge and learn to keep manifold vacuum as high as possible...
Ed

Agreed. I like to think of my vacuum readings as equal to the gas mileage I'm getting. For instance, 2 inches of mercury = 2 miles per gallon. It's probably not far off.

It would be interesting to know what mileage you are seeing on the highway. Then we could tell you better where or if to consider changing something.

In my 4cyl commuter I can get about 20% higher mileage if I'm paying attention to the instant mileage meter vs not. Use neutral coasting down hills, up to and down the off ramp and up to a red light or stop sign. Accelerate like an old lady. Shift fairly early. Go slow. You'll get way better mileage at 45 or 55 vs 65.

IMO, you'll get better mileage with a nicely rebuilt and tuned stock carb.

Sell to me. Then you will not have to worry about it.

Just kidding, no but seriously sell to me.

Great Mpg Enhancers!!!

Well lets see... :hmm:

You could buy one of those magnets that clips around the fuel line....:idea:

You can buy a kit that lets you burn water (converts water to HHO) Bolts right up to your existing carb...:idea:

You could but a Tornado insert for the air cleaner but I don't know if they make one for the FJ40...:idea:

You could run helium in your tires at 45 psi... :idea:

Guys, did I miss anything? Feel free to add to this, uh, list of GREAT MPG ENHANCERS!!!

:D

Build a custom nose cone, and a tail cone to enhance the "brick" aerodynamics of our lovable FJ40's, and you'll see a vast improvement in MPG... :)

Edit: Ohh and don't forget to take pictures... :flipoff2:

According to "UA FJ 40", switching to an electirc fan should get you 1-4 MPG better.

Electric water pump, PS pump, and cooling fan should make a 30 MPG FJ40, wouldnt you think? HAHA

Or drive the first 15 miles (lucky) and then walk the second 15 miles... haha

To turn this back to tech:

Run the skinnest, most non-aggressive tires you can inflated to a pretty high pressure and make sure you have your engine totally tuned up with good plugs, wires, etc.

Or drive the first 15 miles (lucky) and then walk the second 15 miles... haha

To turn this back to tech:

Run the skinnest, most non-aggressive tires you can inflated to a pretty high pressure and make sure you have your engine totally tuned up with good plugs, wires, etc.

Well, yes, all that. However, driving habits have a huge effect on mileage, therefore the vacuum gauge. It can help you change the way you drive it.

Vagabond, doesn't your Holley open up both barrels at the same time, like a Weber 38/38? You might do better with a stock carb with progressive linkage.
But no matter what you have, the long skinny pedal and it's operation are key to getting the best mileage that the '40 can deliver.

GL

Ed

Window stickers help for horsepower, not sure about mileage tho. Good luck in your search. I've had my 40 for 5 months now and haven't put gas in it yet. It's in pieces in the garage. I'm waiting till gas hits $5 a gallon before I put it back together... Guess I better hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom