ARB Dakar Spring Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas,i was reading through a thread on one of the ozzy forums about a few blokes having problems with dakar springs buggering up the lips on the bushes,it turns out the sleeve they insert in the leaf doesn't stay put,the spring starts moving around and chews out the end of the bush,ive been wondering why mines swaying all over the road,especially when the road gets bumpy.
So i go out and check mine and the spring is sitting at least 5mm off the steel sleeve and one bush is just about buggered.
The blokes on the forum have found out that apparently late model 75 series bushes from the rear will fit strait in after the stupid steel sleeve is removed,im getting some later this week and gonna try swapping them,i told them i'd let them know how it goes.
With so many of you guys with dakar springs i was curious to see if antone was having similar problems.
One of the blokes may post on here,im not sure but i think i remember seeing his name[sixtys guy] on here before,he might add more info if he's around.
cheers goldchaser

There have been a couple threads about that. Definitely let us know if the 75 bushings solves it.

Could you post some pics of it if you can?

Hmmm, when I was changing over a set of shackles, I noticed the sleeve moved a bit when I drove out the old bushings. I don't think they were free enough to wander on their own, but with a touch looser of a fit they would be...

Let us know what you find out.:cheers:

Hi Goldchaser, yep I'm here! I posted a pic of mine a while ago, but it appeared that no one had the problem. I would be suprised though as it looks like it is becoming an issue in Aus, even if ARB deny it.

Pic of front spring slipping off the steel sleeve and over the bush;
DSCF0769.jpg

Are those yellow bushings the OME units? I also installed those springs but the bushings I used have a larger diameter in the shoulder area. There is no way the spring could slide over them like that.

well mines identical,i dont think bushes with a larger lip would help,the spring on mine doesnt slip over the lip,it wears it out,steel bush stays put but the spring is sliding back and forth on it.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wonder if the elusive "popping" OME noises could be related to this? :hmm:

I'll have to have a closer look at mine in the daylight.

Yes, the OME bushes have a larger lip. I have now replaced my bushes with the OME items, but also welded a flange to the steel sleeve.

DSCF0841.jpg

Hi Goldchaser, yep I'm here! I posted a pic of mine a while ago, but it appeared that no one had the problem. I would be suprised though as it looks like it is becoming an issue in Aus, even if ARB deny it.

Pic of front spring slipping off the steel sleeve and over the bush;
DSCF0769.jpg

Interesting steering stabilizer. Doesn't the spring make it pull to one side?

The 'Return to Centre' steering damper is a bit of a trend in Aus. The spring is at rest normally and when you turn right the spring compresses, wanting to force the steering whel back to centre. When you turn left the spring stretches and wantsto pull the steering wheel back to centre. I think they are a bit of a 'have' personally as I haven't noticed any improvement in steering or handling over my old Enforcer standard type damper.

So I should wait then before getting front Dakkar springs from MAF? I already have the rear Ironman springs.

Zack

So I should wait then before getting front Dakkar springs from MAF? I already have the rear Ironman springs.

Zack

Just make sure that you buy the OME spring bushes.

From what I can deduct, most if not all (apart from OME Dakar) springs made for the 60 are made to take 35mm OD bushes. For some reason OME Dakar are made to take a 40mm bush, then they insert a sleeve into the spring eyes to make it take a 35mm bush.

It appears that the problem arises when the Dakar springs are fitted with non OME bushes as the OME bush has a larger lip compared to other brands of bush. I bought my springs from an ARB store, but at no time was I told that I must buy the OME bushes. I already had a set of bushes, so I used those.

While OME would probably be the most common springs in Aus for older leaf sprung trucks, there are numerous other popular brands such as Ironman, Terrain Tamer, Enforcer, EFS, Tough Dog, Lovells, Kings, Rockcrawler etc. It appears that all bushes from these manufacturers are compatible with each other, but not with OME Dakar springs.

i have the OME bushings that were matched to the springs. I don't have the problem of the spring coming over the top of the bushing, but you can see how the spring is tweeking outward, even showing visually the shackle being pushed from the bottom.

I have a REAL bad problem of being tossed all over the road. I have the same tires i had before the OME install. was told by an alignment place that my toe in is set just fine.

could these springs be causing some real pull? anybody else having the pulling problem?
DSC02428.jpg
DSC02425.jpg

i have the OME bushings that were matched to the springs. I don't have the problem of the spring coming over the top of the bushing, but you can see how the spring is tweeking outward, even showing visually the shackle being pushed from the bottom.

I have a REAL bad problem of being tossed all over the road. I have the same tires i had before the OME install. was told by an alignment place that my toe in is set just fine.

could these springs be causing some real pull? anybody else having the pulling problem?

:confused:

Some arrows might help describe what you're talking about.

I think I'm going to wait now on buying this upgrade until I know for sure that OME has their stuff together and solved this apparent problem.:meh:

here is a pic with arrows. notice how the shackle is being tweaked from the center outward towards the tire. also the wrap leaf seems to be offset on the spring, but it is on correct at the axle and pin.

does everybody's do this? again, i have tremendous pull to the left that wasn't there before the install.

sorry. no pic before.
DSC02428 w arrows.jpg

How long have those springs been on jf?
They look pretty new,i think it takes a while before its reconizable,looking closely at yours i think they will do the same,i think the steel bush is the problem,maybe too many moving parts in there with that bush if ya know what i mean.

Are they set correctly at the axle? One pic looks like some shift has happened at the axle.
If you had a shop do the instal have them look at it. Have you re-torqued them as well?

You could have a bad spring......the first pic looks the worst.

Hey fellas,i was reading through a thread on one of the ozzy forums about a few blokes having problems with dakar springs buggering up the lips on the bushes,it turns out the sleeve they insert in the leaf doesn't stay put,the spring starts moving around and chews out the end of the bush,ive been wondering why mines swaying all over the road,especially when the road gets bumpy.
So i go out and check mine and the spring is sitting at least 5mm off the steel sleeve and one bush is just about buggered.
The blokes on the forum have found out that apparently late model 75 series bushes from the rear will fit strait in after the stupid steel sleeve is removed,im getting some later this week and gonna try swapping them,i told them i'd let them know how it goes.
With so many of you guys with dakar springs i was curious to see if antone was having similar problems.
One of the blokes may post on here,im not sure but i think i remember seeing his name[sixtys guy] on here before,he might add more info if he's around.
cheers goldchaser

I am also part of that discussion. I'm experiencing problems, mainly with the drivers side spring. I am making an approach to ARB in Melbourne to draw attention to the thread and for comment. My local ARB didn't really want to know.

I'll let you guy's know what happens. here's a link to the thread.

Sideways spring movement - Australian 4WD Monthly Online Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom