Doors off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always toyed around with the idea of taking the doors off my 4Runner for the summer. Seeing all the doorless cruisers and jeeps lately has made me jealous. 4Runners look awesome with the doors off and it would make cruising that much cooler, literally:cool: . Is this a bad idea with for someone who is only slightly mechanically inclined? I have doors with power windows and locks. Any doorless pics out there?

Brian

might be against the law in your state. I think I read were it has to be able to come from the factory as an option to come door less, or soft doors i guess.

Dealing with the wires will be a challenge. Pull the kickpanels off, you should find a connector buried up in there that runs all the wires to the doors, so you can unplug. There's a write-up on the pitate4x4.com site that shows how you can modify your door hinges to install removable pins so the doors can be very quickly removed and instaled.

I would think that you would probably get hassled by The Man eventually, but saying that my son drove his 4Runner around for a week with no roof and doors, including a trip into Boston, no troubles. You'd be better off (and safer) with at least getting some tube doors.

if you go into ttora site.some time back i was searching for tube doors for my wifes runner and found a vender in there.i believe i they ran around 146 bucks/plus shipping.i might be able to find the vender

emsolid.jpg
contact them.i was a little off on the price:beer: but not much

um, did you see my truck in the St.louis clubs and trips thread? (yellow one, tube doors-) parked in front of the Badlands sign?

I have tube doors (I can fab them up for you too) and "the man" hasnt said a word..... I have even been thru a drunk driver checkpoint- he walked up and seen I was wearing a 5 point harness an laughed then commented about having my seat belt on, he liked the truck and sent me on my way.... state patrol even so no legal issues (my brother is a cop in KC and he said nothing is on the books).

I know if you have a chipped windsheild you will fail the inspection but if you have no windshield you wont fail.

edit.....duh its the truck in my avatar too

I think I might go with the 4Xinnovations quick release kit if I decide to do this. Did anybody out there get included on the first shipment and have a review of the setup for me? Right now they are saying mid-March for the 2nd shipment. Comes with tube doors and mounts for the door frame, stock doors, and tube doors ~$240.

I think I might go with the 4Xinnovations quick release kit if I decide to do this. Did anybody out there get included on the first shipment and have a review of the setup for me? Right now they are saying mid-March for the 2nd shipment. Comes with tube doors and mounts for the door frame, stock doors, and tube doors ~$240.

I can beat that price pm me.
the tube doors are made out of chromoly and weigh about 4-5 lbs each they also latch as well.
And much better looking than 4xinnovations;) .
The hinge kit on mine doesnt "quick change"-they bolt on like your doors... you have to unbolt them- If you are in a big hurry and have to have a "quick change" hinge then you can bolt their hinges to my doors- .

there are nylon map pockets avail. to hold crap in or with black nylon webbing (like in a race cars window)

FWIW, since you are a MUDder and all.

I can beat that price pm me.
the tube doors are made out of chromoly and weigh about 4-5 lbs each they also latch as well.
And much better looking than 4xinnovations;) .
The hinge kit on mine doesnt "quick change"-they bolt on like your doors... you have to unbolt them- If you are in a big hurry and have to have a "quick change" hinge then you can bolt their hinges to my doors- .

there are nylon map pockets avail. to hold crap in or with black nylon webbing (like in a race cars window)

FWIW, since you are a MUDder and all.
ok how much would you charge myself for a real simple:hillbilly: set of tube doors for a 87 runner.just a basic design,nothing overkill:D get back to me on that;)

I loved running my 80 p/u without doors, nice visibility, air conditioning without the rf, but sucked when it rained with swampers, they threw the water straight at me. Tube doors IMO would be a lot safer and well worth the money if you plan on doing any hard wheeling/off camber stuff.

Some things to remember:

1) A mirror is require on the driver side.

2) Many places require a 4" lip at the base of the door to stop things from rolling out.

3) Its illegal to fullblown remove them in some states. Here in NJ I took them off and didnt put tube doors or halfdoors on and I got pulled over 10min later and was told to go put them back on.

Personally I think a nice pair of half doors is a better option than tubes but thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom