WTB! FJ40 ANYWHERE My first cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello Mud,

I'm looking for my very first cruiser. I have been dreaming of one for a long time. Due to a family death I have acquired a few thousand dollars and want to put it towards something I've always wanted. Distance is not an issue if I find the perfect cruiser I'm willing to fly/drive anywhere to get it home to Michigan. I have 6k-7k to spend. I will need it to be in good enough shape to drive right away. I am aware I won't get a showroom vehicle for this price but one that drives well, is fairly clean and isn't rusty is what I am hoping for. I will likely never sell this and eventually will over time make it better and better. I'm not a purist, and am very open to V8 converted trucks as well. My mind hurts and I have looked everywhere I just can't find the perfect vehicle for me. Not sure which year I prefer, just know I love the FJ40 look. I will not be rockcrawling it as of yet, I want it to look sweet and drive around town. Every penny to my name will go into this trucks purchase so I will treat it like my baby.

Thanks for the nice welcome in my first post in the tech forum when I introduced myself. This forum is great, hope to be a regular when I get my cruiser
Hope to hear from you

Thanks
Matt

2 things

don't jump in without checking it out first, there are guys here from all over and someone is probably close enough to check it out, and give an unbiased opinion

I wouldn't spend it all on the purchase, save some $$'s for the incidentals you'll find when you get the rig home.

ditto.
do some research and figure out exactly what you expect from the rig and then go shopping. don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket!

just some simple pointers:
try to find one with disc brakes on the front and if you consider go wheeling in it, power steering is just about a must.

best of luck! :beer:

I've been scouring for cruisers, problem is it seems they are either over the top or total junkers. As I said at first I need to drive it to work etc so I will baby it for a while. Too much money to ruin my baby at first heh. I may take it to a few camp spots and fishing trips but nothin extreme other than a 2 track etc. My real concern is quality and looks. I want to clean it up shiny new so it looks nice. I don't need over the top torque, power, w/e. Wouldn't be opposed to a 350 and having it sound nice etc obviously just don't need every single horsepower upgrade and all that. Main concern, drivability and looking nice. Thanks for the responses so far. It seems I've found the best 4x4 FJ40 site around =)

Thanks
Matt

76 FJ40 in Tenn,

Matt, I got your message last night but was already in bed, schoolteachers get started early, give me your e-mail address and I will send pictures. I will also call today.

Thanks,
Michael

This is going to be your daily driver right away? Do you have a spare vehicle? Working on these things can be alot eaiser not haveing to throw it back togather before going to work the next day. Read up in the 40 FAQ's.

I don't like all of those louvers.
fc08_3.JPG

yes daily driver right away. I do have an old oldsmobile that barely functions, but I could drive it if I was in dire need. Just want a cool lookin cruiser to drive around town with potential to later down the road to just mild fourwheeling.

Matt

Search continues....Seems if one has disk brakes and powersteering it's all trashed and rusty. If it is nice and clean it has bad brakes, no PS, and no hardtop. I see why the search is so difficult =/ Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks to those of you who responded so far

Matt

Last edited:
Search continues....Seems if one has disk brakes and powersteering it's all trashed and rusty. If it is nice and clean it has crap brakes, no PS, and no hardtop. I see why the search is so difficult =/ Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks to those of you who responded so far

Matt

I hear ya brother. We're looking for a new one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom