80 Series Project Guesses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am going non-elocker in the rear...with an aussie...due to sucky toyota design in the e-locker.

Good game. I will have more pictures next week to guess at.

wait, who's modding? Dan Kunz or Alkaline? Have you been stalking Dan again, alkaline?

let us know how the dynabeads work out.

I don't understand why you're upgrading to the poly shaft and also getting rid of the e-locker at the same time? Why not just upgrade to the poly shaft and keep the e-locker? I would think that would fix the twisted splines problem...

Maybe not...

Christo said he has twisted the polys as well...in fact that they twist easier since Chromoly bends vs. sheers under load.

I don't want to ever have to do this again, and I don't use the truck as a DD so no worries. I may upgrade the aussie locker to an ARB in the next year as well just to have apples to apples. I have OBA so it would be an easy fit.

I am going non-elocker in the rear...with an aussie...due to sucky toyota design in the e-locker.

VERY SMART! I will be doing the exact same thing. I bet you came out on top of that transaction too... selectable rear is not that big o deal. those who have gone through the hell of twisting a rear shaft know it aint even WORTH IT.

So why is it that the e-locker twists shafts, but the aussie or ARB's don't? Seems like somethings got to give somewhere if you've got that kind of load going on.

Thanks,
Rookie2

they all twist, but if you twist the PS rear on an e-locker you get the shaft stuck in there and can't get it out to replace it unless you cut.

So why is it that the e-locker twists shafts, but the aussie or ARB's don't? Seems like somethings got to give somewhere if you've got that kind of load going on.

Thanks,
Rookie2

the issue isnt shafts, its that the elocker has a collar that the shafts when twisted get stuck, you then can not remove the shaft without torching the collar, and usually torching the housing to get to the shaft to torch the shaft.. its happening more now as people wheel harder and harder, most e-lockers with 35's and moderate wheeling will be fine.

yep, Alky only spent the whole weekend on the trail with me :)

IMO, it is not a "sucky Toyota design"- you are using the elocker well beyond its parameters.......

35" plus tires, and off road situations that are not ordinarily encountered in daily driving even in 3rd world countrys.

It is a sucky design. The front is completely different from the rear, and it has none of the issues. The front carrier and locking carrier is very different. Look it up. The rear locks at the side gears and forces high torque forces through the spider gears vs. the carrier. It is inherently less stable.

Sorry, I disagree with you.

IMO, it is not a "sucky Toyota design"- you are using the elocker well beyond its parameters.......

35" plus tires, and off road situations that are not ordinarily encountered in daily driving even in 3rd world countrys.

It is a sucky design. The front is completely different from the rear, and it has none of the issues. The front carrier and locking carrier is very different. Look it up. The rear locks at the side gears and forces high torque forces through the spider gears vs. the carrier. It is inherently less stable.

Sorry, I disagree with you.

again I state the above, when used beyond the design parameters of what Toyota meant for the elocker to be used for you will have breakage as well as accelerated wear.

Thats just like saying "sucky birfield design" when in all actuality the birfields do a fine job for what they are intended... throw a set of 35" + tires and try climbing a rock ledge agressively and you will have breakage.

like I said you are using this beyond its design parameters, a better statement would be more like "the toyota design cannot withstand the abuse or aggresive driving style with over sized tires"

it does an excellent job for what it was designed to do, I dont recall anyone breaking an elocker with stock or 1,2 sizes larger tires off road.
only when you exceed what it was designed for will you get breakage.

*B*

I agree with extreme. It does its job great until pushed beyond its limits. We are lucky to even have the option of them stock 90% of people have to look to aftermarket to get locked. Anyone who wheels as hard as you is living on borrowed time with the rear and everyone knows that. Not trying to start a fight with you Dan just commenting.

If you want this to turn into an elocker debate it goes way past the issues of breakage with the collar. Its electric, the motor goes bad, bearings get mud water ect in them, they rust... I have personally had to refurbish my rear twice, (needs a third) and the front once.

I dont think they are s***, i bought mine BECAUSE it had lockers, its cool that we have that option, but they are far from perfect. even with thier intended use they need to be cycled or used frequently and they are not 99% of the time.

*does a naah naah face*

Doesn't matter, either way, it is outta here! :)

Based upon that first pick, I'd say you are modifying your diff to run coke across the border :flipoff2:

never thought of that, but it's a damn good idea :idea: Just read an article this morning about people loading horses up with weed and sending them across the boarder.

sorry, hijack off! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom