Piggyback ECU Tuning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

guess I shoulda asked the Banks boys at Calico about that....

are you gunna try it?

I've never tried any piggybacking on an 80,yet. All the race stuff I've dyno tuned has been w/ AEM. My nephew is running an AEM on his Eclipse turbo that I built. These units I've used have been stand alone units, Complete ECU replacements. Hmmh, did an Apexi piggyback on a Lexus that was running a twin turbo but Apexi had that unit that I used specific for that car. I've studied some of the Mega squirt stuff but haven't tried it.

What's the application? If you're NA then I'd bet it's a waste of time. From my experience the ECM is very adaptive and will fight you most of the way and probably win. From my testing the ECM is in closed loop 90% of the time and at speeds of 75MPH. In fact the only time I can say for sure it's not in closed loop is WOT.

Now if it's Boosted then you'll see some effect. On a boosted system I think the MAF sensor looses some integrity when pushed to read the higher air flows. Some have seen a lean condition while others have see a rich one.

I think Christo uses one on his turbo kits with 2 secondary injectors. It might be SMT7, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I think Christo uses one on his turbo kits with 2 secondary injectors. It might be SMT7, I'm not sure.

I may be remembering this totally wrong but I think that Christo uses the SMT6, the difference with the SMT7 (which he wants to work on next) is that it can be connected to the wide band O2 sensors to "real time tune" and adjust. I'm looking forward to this too. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom