Greasing the Front Knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read the maint. portion of the FSM, and it doesn't state the amount of moly needed when servicing the knuckles. I understand it depends on the amount of residual, but do you pack it full or half or what? Can anyone tell me the best practice or lessons learned that I could apply. Thanks.

Fill the cavity 3/4 full as stated in the FSM (at least that is what the '97 FSM says.)

You really need to read the "Front axle rebuild" section of the FAQ here in the 80 section.

-B-

I (try to) fill them all the way. I can't see any downside to that.

I (try to) fill them all the way. I can't see any downside to that.

IMHO, there is the downside of extra expansion from heat forcing the grease past the oil seals at an accelerated rate. The FSM says 3/4, so, fill em 3/4. HTH. :cheers:

IMHO, there is the downside of extra expansion from heat forcing the grease past the oil seals at an accelerated rate. The FSM says 3/4, so, fill em 3/4. HTH. :cheers:

there is no way you'd ever be able to fill it up completely, so they're always be an air gap. I don't think thermal expansion is an issue. Plus if it goes through the seal, so what...? :)

there is no way you'd ever be able to fill it up completely, so they're always be an air gap. I don't think thermal expansion is an issue. Plus if it goes through the seal, so what...? :)

you are the one who wrote to try to fill it full, second, it is not advisable to purposely push grease through the seals as it can contaminate the oil in our diffs. Again, the FSM says 3/4, so, fill it 3/4, JMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom