Recovery points and winches with ARB Sahara bar (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overland-cruisers.co.uk
Looking at the ARB Sahara bar, it doesn't appear to have any recovery points on it - for those using them do you just use the Toyota ones on the chassis or use something else?

Also, anyone using a 12K Warn or Milemarker (hydraulic) in the Sahara bar - any problems with fitting?

I'm just about to kit out a 100 for expediition use and llike the look of the Sahara bar, but will want to put a 12k hydraulic Milemarker in there.

I used the OEM recovery points.

OK, thanks, thought as much.

How about the winch side of things - ISTR you have a 8k Warn in there - will a 12k fit or would it need a seperate winch mounting plate?

OK, thanks, thought as much.

How about the winch side of things - ISTR you have a 8k Warn in there - will a 12k fit or would it need a seperate winch mounting plate?

I listened to the spec. I got one of the first here in the US. Didn't want to "experiment". So, I'm not sure.

I used the OEM recovery points.

The OEM front recovery hook is a long extended "J" made from cast iron. This is only used to anchor the vehicle on it's boat ride outside Japan. This should not be used for any type of recovery attachment point IMO. It is most unfortunate that all the aftermarket bumper manufacturers (Aussie and USA alike ;) ) have completely ignored the off-road 100 crowd by not marketing an intelligently designed front bumper that includes integral recovery points; shorter overhang; winch rated to 12K minimum; etc.

The OEM front recovery hook is a long extended "J" made from cast iron. This is only used to anchor the vehicle on it's boat ride outside Japan. This should not be used for any type of recovery attachment point IMO. It is most unfortunate that all the aftermarket bumper manufacturers (Aussie and USA alike ;) ) have completely ignored the off-road 100 crowd by not marketing an intelligently designed front bumper that includes integral recovery points; shorter overhang; winch rated to 12K minimum; etc.

Good thing I haven't used that one. What about my OEM J-hook?

are you sure about the J hook being for tieing down?

that seems counterintuitive. I would think one would not use an open hook for tieing down. Plus IIRC there are actual tie down brackets on the truck (much lighter duty).

Not that it's a great recovery point, but I would guess that the J thing is designed for that.

about the 12K hydro: I don't know for sure about the 100 steering pump, but when I looked into the possibility of getting a hydro winch for my 80, it became clear that the OEM pump capacity would only result in an effective 9K or so capability using a 12K winch.

If it were similar for the 100 (check), you may want to think about whether that would be enough for your applications, esp. given that a built 100 would be on the heavier side...

are you sure about the J hook being for tieing down?

that seems counterintuitive. I would think one would not use an open hook for tieing down. Plus IIRC there are actual tie down brackets on the truck (much lighter duty).

Not that it's a great recovery point, but I would guess that the J thing is designed for that.

Actually...my mistake...the frame mounted tie down is the separate closed loop (3/16"? thick) bracket (not suitable for recovery either).

At the recent Off Road Expo in So. Cal I sat down with the ARB rep and asked:

A) where are the recovery points on my sahara bar?
Answer: "There aren't any. Use the OE ones."

B) What is the best way to use a highlift jack on the bumper?
Answer: "Don't , use the bumber as a jack point"

The issue is the air bags and potential for inadvertant deployment, according to the Rep. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. I thought air bags deployed when significant deceleration is sensed. So how could lifting the vehicle usising the front sahara bar be a concern?

Spresso is correct about 100 owners being ignored. Even the deluxe bullbar from ARB for the 100 doesn't have recovery points!

One consolation is that the Slee step sliders, for those that have them, make a great lifiting location for a High lift.

B) What is the best way to use a highlift jack on the bumper?
Answer: "Don't , use the bumber as a jack point"
No jacking points? ARB even advertises their jacking points on the Deluxe bar. Sahara no have?

" A number of recent ARB heavy duty bumpers incorporate Hi-Lift jacking points neatly positioned in the center pan, allowing a Hi-Lift jack to be mounted directly onto the bar and eliminating the need for a mounting bracket. These points also enable easier access to the clutch lever when unspooling the wire rope before winching.
bull_bars.jpg

Hoser,

Nope, no dedicated jacking points on the sahara like the ones pictured (7) in your post. That was the reason I cornered the rep at to show. Also note there are no recovery points for a shackle in the picture either.l

Ah, the last time I looked at my Deluxe bar, the area around #7 was also double walled steel.

Last edited:
Why use the J-hook? You lose that when you install the sahara bar. You're supposed to use the big steel OEM eyelets.

My custom ARB front bumper have recovery point so it can be used by hi-lift jack.

But still I think I need some kind of pin to insert thru the hole of hi lift jack to keep the D shackle in place. The lip of hi-lift jack is a bit too shallow for my comfort.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Why use the J-hook? You lose that when you install the sahara bar. You're supposed to use the big steel OEM eyelets.
Can you post a picture of the bottom of your accordian mounts? Mine retains the J-hooks, if desired, but loses the OEM eyelets.

about the 12K hydro: I don't know for sure about the 100 steering pump, but when I looked into the possibility of getting a hydro winch for my 80, it became clear that the OEM pump capacity would only result in an effective 9K or so capability using a 12K winch.

If it were similar for the 100 (check), you may want to think about whether that would be enough for your applications, esp. given that a built 100 would be on the heavier side...

I take your point, it is pushing it a bit with the factory steering pump - our UK supplier does tweak the pump to improve this, but my long term aim is to fit a dedicated pump so that I can get the maximum benefit.

I would NEVER use any part of my Sahara Bar as a jacking point. The few times I've hit it on rocks I've bent it and twisted it. (Kinda like Snooks one pic above)

The Sahara flexes and twists easily and it effects the way it sits next to the trucks body. Can you say lighter duty?

Can you post a picture of the bottom of your accordian mounts? Mine retains the J-hooks, if desired, but loses the OEM eyelets.

Send me your digital camera and I'll take a snapshot. Sorry, no digital camera yet; won't work w/ my old Mac. IIRC, the 03-05 sahara bar instructions state that the OEM eyelets become the recovery points. I'll try to find the instructions when I get home. There might be pics in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom