From FJ Cruiser, to 80 Series, to GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60BFF7ED-0F6F-45C0-9831-6C81B26FFD6A.jpeg

66CDDD2D-AF89-406F-BE7A-473D9D6440D6.jpeg
58CC84D2-829D-4B5A-9B06-3C2330E89712.jpeg
11F1A61F-9CE4-4626-981E-BCD56B8F9B16.jpeg
A74592D6-1E3D-4EED-8341-31668BF03FA0.jpeg

Don't know if the infotainment/navigation matters much to you but it's redone for the 22+ model years, including the newer Lexus navigation/Apple Carplay/Android auto. There are rumors of a new model in the coming years as well, and trade-in values are still relatively high for now.

View attachment 2998108
It is. The Apple car play is a pretty nice feature that I’ll end up using for a long time.
I also like a button vs touch screen for AC fan speed.
I also really like the fact that the SUV is…dated. The new screen and Apple car play is nice, but everything about it is dated. Older engine and transmission.
That just ensures me that it is extremely tested and reliable - and parts should be available down the road.

Interested to hear what people suggest re: brakes... The at-a-stop brake pressure required does seem more than other trucks
My wife always complains about this when she drives my GX. I never noticed until she said something to me about it.

My wife always complains about this when she drives my GX. I never noticed until she said something to me about it.
Anytime I drive my wife’s car (it’s a civic, so not quite apples to apples) I slam the brakes really hard the first time. Then I’m able to recalibrate my foot.

But I drive work trucks all the time, pick up trucks, 18 wheelers, etc and I feel like to keep this thing at a complete stop, the amount of pressure needed on the pedal is at the top end of anything I’ve ever driven.
As well as the amount of pressure needed to bring it to a stop.

Don't know if the infotainment/navigation matters much to you but it's redone for the 22+ model years, including the newer Lexus navigation/Apple Carplay/Android auto. There are rumors of a new model in the coming years as well, and trade-in values are still relatively high for now.

View attachment 2998108
Yep, there's been a few threads on here following these updates. The rumor mill has the new GX coming in 2023. We'll see.......
I gotta keep wiping the drool off the corner of my mouth when I start looking at those pictures.

Yep, there's been a few threads on here following these updates. The rumor mill has the new GX coming in 2023. We'll see.......
I gotta keep wiping the drool off the corner of my mouth when I start looking at those pictures.
Ooo I hope the new GX comes in 2024 and I’m able to sneak in the last model year of the current GX.

2023 GX 460 Black Line is mine and now it's time to start figuring out my build details. I've got a pretty solid idea of how and where I want to go with the build and the first speed bump is going to be to determine if:
Will the Victory 4x4 GX Front Bumper Strike with Full Bull Bar will interfere with any of the features on the GX?

Does anyone have any info on this? The features I'm concerned about are:
Front Facing Camera
Radar Cruise Control (I'm not sure if the sensors for this are in the windshield in front of the rear view mirror)
Automatic Brights (I assume this ties into the camera in some fashion)

Past that, I know the other basic features are considered in the design:
Headlamp Washers
Parking/Proximity Sensors

I had planned on waiting for a bit to order stuff, but Black Friday sales are too good to pass up. So I will be ordering as much as I can this month in order to save as much as I can on an already expensive endeavor.

Intro Picture
unnamed.jpg

Front Bumper from Victory 4x4, Front Strike with Full Bull Bar
VGXFS-46-B_2.jpg

I can't image the bumper with a full raised tube bar should cause any problems.
I believe the camera is located just below the "L" oval logo in the grill. Not sure where radar is, whether it's in the windshield or grill.

I can't image the bumper with a full raised tube bar should cause any problems.
I believe the camera is located just below the "L" oval logo in the grill. Not sure where radar is, whether it's in the windshield or grill.
I see the location of the camera, I guess part of my concern is that, if the bumper isn’t flush with the grill that remains/flush with the camera, the bumper will block field of view for the camera.
BBF7FD78-3F41-4A62-94EC-3A95DB6E9BBD.png

I believe the fitment will be fine with the camera in stock location, but I’m curious if it changes stock functionality at all.

Radar is part of the grille emblem...

Automatic High Beams should be a sensor around the mirror on your windshield
Similar concern with the radar then, but less than the camera.

I will be doing lots of highway miles with this vehicle and want to retain 100% functionality of the driving comfort features.

To be clear, I’m not expecting major compromises with any of the systems. I’m simply trying to find out exactly what to expect as I believe these systems have been around long enough on Luxury’s to (hopefully) have some real life feed back.

As this all went standard with '20+ even though rarer option for 2010-2019 on high trim models.

I'm inclined to say not an issue but will pay closer attention to modded '20+ models on FB GXOR

The lack of problem complaints in my memory recollection again seems to think a moot concern but will report back if I come across anything this week

Thinking about it, the only issue you may have could be if the bumper sticks out further than stock, then it may impede the view of the grill camera looking downward.
but I don't think most after market bumpers protrude that much.
Like I said, just a thought.

Thinking about it, the only issue you may have could be if the bumper sticks out further than stock, then it may impede the view of the grill camera looking downward.
but I don't think most after market bumpers protrude that much.
Like I said, just a thought.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, but obviously didn’t articulate it well! Hah

And again, I feel like this tech has been around long enough but maybe since it’s been primarily on luxury trims, maybe there isn’t much real world feedback.

Here is earlier year with 14-19 Driver Support Package but using CBI

You could probably emulate with some cardboard affect of the bumper on camera view

This is exactly what I was trying to say, but obviously didn’t articulate it well! Hah

And again, I feel like this tech has been around long enough but maybe since it’s been primarily on luxury trims, maybe there isn’t much real world feedback.
Depending upon just how handy your are with electrical along with fabricating a bracket, when you get your bumper, if it does impede your downward view, you can pull the camera from the grill and extend it.
This is done all the time, myself included, with the rear cameras when adding a bumper with a swing-out tire carrier. I had to take the camera from the factory location, that's located up under the license plate and move it to a mount I fabricated next to the two jerry cans.
It's just a simple 4 conductor wire which is easy to find. Just cut the camera wire, ensuring you leave enough pigtail on the camera to strip and add the wire extension. Then if you have a 3D printer, design and print out a new bracket or get a small piece aluminum or stainless steel sheet metal, bend, drill and call it done. You may even be able to achieve a better view than stock depending upon how you mount the camera.

I plan on doing this with the rear camera because I will be adding a rear tire swing out for my spare.
I’ve thought about doing it for the front camera as well but don’t want to if I don’t have to. I like the stock mount and how it’s pretty hidden in the grill.

I don’t have a 3D printer but could likely figure out a mount.
I cannot weld, but know some people that can. I work at a scrap yard and can source any type of sheet I’d like to mess with creating a mount.

So I was browsing Victory's site and actually found this on the Q&A on the Strike bumper listing:

View attachment 3174068

Not sure if that means they've actually tested it, or if it's a CYA thing.
I think it’s a CYA thing. I contacted Victory because I saw the same Q&A and they said they hadn’t tested it.
They said they don’t have a definitive answer but do sell lots of them.
They also said they’ve gotten no feedback at all.

I wonder if getting no feedback answers my question? I just won’t know for sure until it’s on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom