From FJ Cruiser, to 80 Series, to GX460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I first purchased an FJ cruiser about 7 years ago but didn’t realize how much I’d miss it after only having for about 2 years.
I bought an 80 series for a budget beater daily and it reignited my want to off road.

I decided on the GX platform about 2.5 years ago but only purchased on a month ago! Very excited, new to the platform, but plan to have this rig for a long long time.

2017 GX 460 Premium, 35k miles.

After owning for about a month, firstly I’m impressed with how smooth and quiet this vehicle is. To start I, I have a few questions on some basic things and curious if any of this is normal;

Brakes:
The brakes work fine and abs is normal, however at a stop, the pressure required on the brake pedal to keep the truck from moving seems like a lot vs other vehicles and trucks I have driven. I figure this is normal, but makes me wonder about upgrading the brakes later on to something a little stronger.

Rear View Mirror:
I live in Phoenix and it’s summer time, windshield shade is a must. When I bought, the rear view mirror was loose and as I put my windshield screen in multiple times a day, the mirror has completely come off.
I see how it slides onto the piece of metal that is glued to the windshield itself, but I cannot seem to get it to lock back in place. This is my only real complaint so far, but I’ve not done any digging on a solution yet.

Fold Down Visors:
This is where I typically keep my garage door clicker - however these visors are too thick for my clicker to slide on! Does anyone know of a solution to keep clickers elsewhere? I have one for my house and for my work that I need to have a fairly permanent location for.

I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and I am excited. I’ve got plans for lots of things on it, but am not in a terrible rush for any of as its so smooth stock. The longer I have it, the more I’ll want to modify it.

Goals will be somewhat related to this;
Dual battery setup
Lift, wheels, tires
Brakes
Front and rear bumper, with full size spare holder
Roof rack with lights and awning
On board air compressor

I follow lots of GX builds on IG and have loads of parts screen shotted for what I like. Excited for this build and looking forward to it.
552B235C-498C-44CC-8487-4766D1E418EE.jpeg

Welcome and congrats on your new toy! :cheers:
Regarding your garage remote, I have a 2013 and have the ability to program up to 2 remotes. Considering you have a premium edition, you have this option also. This will be the buttons up in your review mirror. I can't park my rig in my garage so I've never done it, but if you look at the manual, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out and then you can toss the "clicker" in a drawer!
If you don't already have a manual, here is just about everything manual you'll need: GX 460 Manuals - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx-460-manuals.1129713/

Also another little tip many people don't realize: the convex mirror that drops down from the front of your headliner to converse with your rear passengers, pull it down a little more and you'll have your sunglass holder! ;)

Interested to hear what people suggest re: brakes... The at-a-stop brake pressure required does seem more than other trucks
This was noticeable to me when I first got my truck, however I've just become used to it. Sometimes if it's a long light I'll just slip to truck into N until the light changes.

Might be worth bringing to a shop to do a little baselining. Do you know if the brake system was ever serviced?

I had my brakes bled and front pads/rotors changed (they were warped) and brake feel is about 50% improved, and a little less squishy.

My 2011 GX460 is one of my favorite all-time trucks. I am with you 100% the smoothness of the ride and just what this truck can do is amazing. Brakes, they are heavy trucks and that 4.6ltr lets us drive them quickly so combo puts stress on that system. Toyota did a great job with brakes overall, they have lasted well, but yes I am with @tingc222 that post brake job my whip was happier stopping.

Its hot in AZ right now so here is a cooler shot of my 460 in the wild.

IMG_0568 6.jpg

Very small but enjoyable “mods” so far.

Had plans to build this quickly, but looks like it’s going to be drawn out, which is fine.

Living in Phoenix, I need window shade during the day. Saw a truck driver at work with these side covers and I loved them so I ordered some.

Custom fit to size and they are easy to put up and down. Only downside is the suction cup is stronger than the plastic piece used to remove.

Also found this phone mount solution on this forum, I took it one small step further and cut out the middle of the plastic cover so you don’t see the yellowish plastic underneath and so you see less hardware.

Enjoyable, but small.
BBFA0863-3B6F-46D8-BF59-0E06AC95DDC7.jpeg

D4659A5D-0F14-44CB-96D1-3239FAB741E2.jpeg

DAE40D86-7C9C-4B16-BED3-96E5E74CB5BE.jpeg
5BE7EFBA-D5CE-437B-873B-51EFE9EF43D3.jpeg

C386B6A5-1404-4ECF-ACC6-85B430B00EF0.jpeg

With all due respect and I really don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but the one thing I don't like about phones on the left side is that one has to drape a very long cord over to charge it.
BUT... A solution, if you want another little project you could install a USB port on the left side of the steering wheel. And that's one thing Lexus is real skimpy on are power ports, so adding another one or two wouldn't be all that bad!
There's a ton of them available from Amazon: Amazon.com : 12 volt usb poer port - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12+volt+usb+poer+port&ref=nb_sb_noss
They are cheap, come in many configurations, very easy to install and you can tap into any hot wire or fuse box to for power. I added one on the back of the center console, second seat area with dual USB ports. I made this a constant hot even without the key in so I can charge overnight when camping without having to have my ignition on. On my build thread I show how to do it. Go to post # 66: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-4
Then you can have power to your phone without the unsightly cable running across your steering wheel.

With all due respect and I really don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but the one thing I don't like about phones on the left side is that one has to drape a very long cord over to charge it.
BUT... A solution, if you want another little project you could install a USB port on the left side of the steering wheel. And that's one thing Lexus is real skimpy on are power ports, so adding another one or two wouldn't be all that bad!
There's a ton of them available from Amazon: Amazon.com : 12 volt usb poer port - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12+volt+usb+poer+port&ref=nb_sb_noss
They are cheap, come in many configurations, very easy to install and you can tap into any hot wire or fuse box to for power. I added one on the back of the center console, second seat area with dual USB ports. I made this a constant hot even without the key in so I can charge overnight when camping without having to have my ignition on. On my build thread I show how to do it. Go to post # 66: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-4
Then you can have power to your phone without the unsightly cable running across your steering wheel.
That’s a good idea.
For whatever reason, I don’t usually charge my phone while I drive so the cord isn’t a big issue for me.

I did have plans to hard wire something going directly to the phone mount so I had the ability, but figured I’d look into that when it became an issue.

I agree wires going over or across the steering wheel is not great, but wires in general are not great.

However I didn’t think about just installing a USB port. That could work well for me.
I want to eventually look into converting the ram mount phone holder into a wireless charging solution. But that would require a lot more work and customization.

Reactions: r2m
That’s a good idea.
For whatever reason, I don’t usually charge my phone while I drive so the cord isn’t a big issue for me.

I did have plans to hard wire something going directly to the phone mount so I had the ability, but figured I’d look into that when it became an issue.

I agree wires going over or across the steering wheel is not great, but wires in general are not great.

However I didn’t think about just installing a USB port. That could work well for me.
I want to eventually look into converting the ram mount phone holder into a wireless charging solution. But that would require a lot more work and customization.
I have a wireless cradle for my phone and love it! One handed operation setting it in or taking it out and it's always charging.
For us, we need the charging because we listen to Pandora and sometimes be running Google Maps all at the same time. That'll discharge a phone real quick.

^ Seconded. Adding ports is super easy. And the headliner is also super easy to fish cords through the front of.

Friends!

It has been a long time since posting, but not much has changed in the sense of the build. However, lots of adventure.
This thing is mechanically 100% stock, down to the tires. Stock dealership tires.

I AM SHOCKED at the capability of this truck!!!
I came from a 93 LC on 35” A/T with a 4” lift. This thing cant quite keep up, but shoot – it can come pretty dad-gum close.

Pictures incoming in next post.

This post is more of a question – I need some advice.

I have gotten a new job and moved to Chattanooga TN. My new role will require me to drive roughly 800-1200 miles a month. My new job will give me an on average monthly stipend of $850, but the vehicle I use for work must be no older than 5 years. My current 2017 will need to be replaced at the end of this calendar year or it will not qualify for my work program.

My goal: have a vehicle I can off road and overland in (ideally something more comfortable than my clapped out 80 series) and also have a vehicle that qualifies for my work program that will be comfortable to drive daily that meets business needs as well as family needs.

• My initial idea was to trade in my 2017 GX towards a 2023 GX at the end of this year and just roll with that going forward. The program would cover roughly 75% of the payment and I’d be left with a pretty cheap (to me) brand new GX. At the end of the 5 year period, I’d have the vehicle paid off and keep as a dedicated off road toy.
    • I will also have $15k cash to throw at upgrades (or anything really, but ideally upgrades) for the 2023 GX after purchase. (selling a house and setting aside $15k for fun)
  • Second option would be to get a vehicle that serves work purposes and family purposes, and spending that $15k on an offroad toy outright. That puts me into something fun but maybe stock-ish (100 series, maybe a decent 80 series, GX 470). Family and work vehicle could be flexible, but needs to be 4 door and probably 3rd row.
  • Third option would be to keep my current GX 460 and get a new something that handles my work and family needs. Maybe something like a Rav4 for work and use the $15k at upgrades for the 2017 GX build this year.
  • Fourth option is similar to the first option; trade in the 2017 GX and buy a 2023 GX. Use the 15k to buy a dedicated off road toy. Keep the 2023 GX stock until it is removed from my work program (and will be paid off by then). Sell the toy and use that money to build it out from there.
  • Anything else – pretty open to options and ideas.
I’m trying to figure out the best way to take advantage of, what I think, is a great vehicle program from my work.

Advice and ideas are all welcomed.

Pictures of adventures are incoming. May throw in some pictures of my 80 series adventuring too because I’m in awe comparing these two off road given the GX is completely stock.

AlbmHls.jpg
1651456884106.jpeg
DeathValley.jpg
seqCamp.jpg
SierraMntRng.jpg

Keep the 460 and buy an inexpensive commuter vehicle. Grab a RAV4 Hybrid or some other high quality Toyota hybrid.

Do you need space or hail cargo for those 800-1,200 miles? Or do you just need any vehicle?

If you only need a commute car to haul you and your laptop around I’d recommend this:

If you need something that has space for some cargo I’d recommend this:

Your GX will be worth keeping I can promise you. It’s value will be high for a while especially when Toyota stops putting the V8 in it.

And FYI, I have a 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime and the interior space is astronomical for its size. It’s more comfortable than my GX460 to drive and ride as a front seat passenger.

Keep the 460 and buy an inexpensive commuter vehicle. Grab a RAV4 Hybrid or some other high quality Toyota hybrid.

Do you need space or hail cargo for those 800-1,200 miles? Or do you just need any vehicle?

If you only need a commute car to haul you and your laptop around I’d recommend this:

If you need something that has space for some cargo I’d recommend this:

Your GX will be worth keeping I can promise you. It’s value will be high for a while especially when Toyota stops putting the V8 in it.

And FYI, I have a 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime and the interior space is astronomical for its size. It’s more comfortable than my GX460 to drive and ride as a front seat passenger.
For work purposes, I only need to commute. Haul maybe 3-4 people tops. The rule is it has to be 4 doors. But that’s easy. It also has to MSRP above $32k. Which, is surprisingly easy as well. On the personal side, I’d like it to be bigger than a sedan.

Keeping the current GX and buying something else brand new, I’d think that’s the more expensive option. A $34k vehicle after taxes on a 60 month finance would come out to give or take $600, add in $200-300 for insurance and fuel for work miles and I’ll just be breaking even. And I’ll remain with my current car payment + insurance.
I’m not saying I won’t do this, I’m just spitballing trying to think this through.

And I really like the GX 460, that’s why I’m entertaining a 2023. Something I’d otherwise not be able to afford.
Don’t know for sure, but a payment on a 60 month lease would be roughly $1200? If work paid on average $850 per month, than id be left with less payment per month for the remaining balance for payment (350), insurance (100), and fuel (250) than my current GX payment + insurance.
After 5 years on the work program, work will have paid a large portion of the cost of the vehicle and I net a 2023 built and paid for GX vs a 2017 for just a fraction less.
Maybe?

More pics. :)

0CC81CA0-9C9B-499B-B6AF-AB8B6763C378.jpeg

735AFF27-28CD-45BF-B7F4-81DB437EFB40.jpeg
6DB501E4-5469-4E15-AB7A-616CD86F73D0.jpeg
D2BE775D-2F71-4E8C-97C1-F0B4056602AB.jpeg
39320B8D-6D38-4821-B317-E548611C69D2.jpeg

Great adventures! That's why we buy them! Not to just haul kids around to sport events.

FWIW, the GX gets much better gas mileage than any Land Cruiser, upper teens versus lower teens.

FWIW, the GX gets much better gas mileage than any Land Cruiser, upper teens versus lower teens.
I agree, from personal experience with two 100 series Hundy's.

MPG’s isn’t much of a concern in any of this.
Only thinking MPGs if I were to get a daily/work vehicle and have a second dedicated off road rig. If that’s the case, I don’t want both vehicles to get 14mpg.

As of now I think I’m leaning towards a new GX and building it out while using it for work as well.

More pics. :)

F2CCBC41-EC28-4D0E-8E03-37110A54488C.jpeg

4257D84B-3925-42FA-9012-636D9C988F24.jpeg
2EC62D37-1D86-4216-A3EE-EAEC06861B23.jpeg

D82ADE72-96AA-41E5-AB10-260B37FF4697.jpeg

Don't know if the infotainment/navigation matters much to you but it's redone for the 22+ model years, including the newer Lexus navigation/Apple Carplay/Android auto. There are rumors of a new model in the coming years as well, and trade-in values are still relatively high for now.

1651516493683.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom