What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you end up sourcing them from?
City Racer

New 62 manual mirrors, rear add a leaf on the light medium OME suspension, new wiper arms and blades and covers, rear speakers with 62 brackets, new driver door handle, all four new side markers.

20221021_181845.jpg

20221022_163641.jpg

20221015_113713.jpg

20221013_172856.jpg

20221013_165754.jpg

Just the boring stuff of fluid changes (F&R Diffs, Trans/TC, oil, brake, coolant), with a few filters (oil, fuel, air), spark plugs, valve adjustment and I might have checked the spark plug wires and dizzy air gap too. I managed to completely fail at replacing the gas cap seal, what I got won't fit the cap I have (new has a flange, old is just a flat piece of rubber)... is this OEM?

Rz2cwMo.jpg

And my radiator cap is MUCH different, the installed version has a smaller neck/opening than the Toyota original cap. So, anyone know if this is an OEM radiator with repairs (replaced filler neck) or some aftermarket radiator?

Iw5kGEl.jpg

VzO8fab.jpg

I managed to completely fail at replacing the gas cap seal, what I got won't fit the cap I have (new has a flange, old is just a flat piece of rubber)... is this OEM?

And my radiator cap is MUCH different, the installed version has a smaller neck/opening than the Toyota original cap. So, anyone know if this is an OEM radiator with repairs (replaced filler neck) or some aftermarket radiator?

Looks like OEM radiator with modified filler neck.

Gas cap is not OEM, as far as I know they didn't have that sticker from factory - I'd replace with an OEM one which includes a new seal.

Finally dug into the 12v electronics on my 24v HJ61. Pulled the dash cover off and found a mess. Japanese kenwood head unit, wiring for two seat mount tvs, wiring for bum backup cam. Like a damned rats nest. Took me a solid hour of tracing and labeling to get it all squared away. Im in process of wiring up a 24/12 inverter and dedicated 30AH battery for accessories. Im mounting both under the drivers side seat and then running it to a new fuse block for all the accessories to tie to. Should be nice and clean. Also tying everything to the ACC switch. I'll be checking battery levels to make sure its not leaching, hopefully wont need to install a dedicated switch.

I've been trying to find turbo seats for a minute. Where were you able to find them?
I got these from Georg at Valley Hybrids. I would prefer to have the European or Australian version of the seats so they would match the rest of the upholstery. I only got these for the suspension bases.

took it out for a nice back country drive to visit a friend's farm, still some bumps and clunks to sort out in the front suspension. Had a weird issue coming off a freeway stretch when it stumbled and wanted to die at idle, but after it died and restarted at a stoplight the issue went away and drove normally for the rest of the way home.

Found this cool article: Why Toyota Land Cruisers are the best, according to the man who literally wrote the book on crossing the Sahara Desert - https://japanesenostalgiccar.com/toyota-land-cruiser-overlanders-handbook-chris-scott/

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J60-Berliet-1536x995.jpg

I'm always amazing at how "under built" Land Cruisers are abroad.

This quote sums it up well: "Another nugget points to something enthusiasts of older cars will appreciate. “The more you know, the less you need,” he said. “Reducing your load reduces stress on the vehicle, reduces fuel consumption, and reduces brake and tire wear. Carrying only what you need has benefits all around.”"

Finally got my Monstaliner finished up. Turned out mighty alright.

7D911AED-D4CA-4167-89DD-0347EE602DA4.jpeg
57509488-AACD-4888-A673-EF0FBEF31340.jpeg

New 62 manual mirrors, rear add a leaf on the light medium OME suspension, new wiper arms and blades and covers, rear speakers with 62 brackets, new driver door handle, all four new side markers.

View attachment 3147556

View attachment 3147557

View attachment 3147559

View attachment 3147560

View attachment 3147561
Man its crazy how much of a difference adding the rear speakers adds. I just did the same in mine with 6.5s in the back, new door speakers and an amp and its like a whole new vehicle.

The 2 tone is done really really well. Great job!
Thank you!

I bought her before I found this place. Gorgeous, but, it was a polished turd... fresh coat of champagne metallic paint and re-applied woody vinyl. Within a year, the paint started bubbling in all of the usual places. I just drove it and let it go. In the early summer of 2021, I realized that if I didn't intervene my 62 would be a pile of rubble.

It's our farm truck, so a shiny new paint job seemed like a stupid waste of money. Tore her apart, cut out all of the rot, welded in new steel, and then applied the Monstaliner. Finally, got her "finished" yesterday. She's my daily driver, and we also wheel her. The Monstaliner held up brilliantly... no pin-striping. A 10k paint job would have been ruined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom