Center Diff Light Fix - My Experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got stuck in the snow this afternoon (don't ask - seems like there was a layer of new snow on top of the old snow, and the ruts in the old snow were hard to see since the new snow was covering them.) No problem I thought so I dropped into low with the transfer case, and still was stuck. Ok so the next thing is to unlock the center differential. I did this, and NO LIGHTS CAME ON! There was a clicking sound when you pressed the button on and off, but the lights on the dashboard remained off. It was getting dark and fortunately I had a shovel in the back, so I shoveled some snow, backed up onto concrete, and powered my way out of there.

On the way home the roads were still sufficiently snowy, so I tried the center differential many times and the results were always the same - clicking sound from the passenger side but no lights. Since the relay seems to be working, is it logical to assume the on/off button on the dash is working as well? If so, would the next step in troubleshooting be to replace the transfer indicator switch (center differential lock) with the non-oem Beck/Arnley replacement? And if that does not work (light still does not come on, or light comes on but CD does not engage) any idea what would come next, and how much I would be in for in terms of cash to properly repair?

got stuck in the snow this afternoon (don't ask - seems like there was a layer of new snow on top of the old snow, and the ruts in the old snow were hard to see since the new snow was covering them.) No problem I thought so I dropped into low with the transfer case, and still was stuck. Ok so the next thing is to unlock the center differential. I did this, and NO LIGHTS CAME ON! There was a clicking sound when you pressed the button on and off, but the lights on the dashboard remained off. It was getting dark and fortunately I had a shovel in the back, so I shoveled some snow, backed up onto concrete, and powered my way out of there.

On the way home the roads were still sufficiently snowy, so I tried the center differential many times and the results were always the same - clicking sound from the passenger side but no lights. Since the relay seems to be working, is it logical to assume the on/off button on the dash is working as well? If so, would the next step in troubleshooting be to replace the transfer indicator switch (center differential lock) with the non-oem Beck/Arnley replacement? And if that does not work (light still does not come on, or light comes on but CD does not engage) any idea what would come next, and how much I would be in for in terms of cash to properly repair?
The dash button and relay sound like they’re doing their jobs. But is the center diff locking after the button is pressed? Try to drive in a tight circle (idling, no gas)... does the truck stop itself? If it does then your CDL is engaged and the detector switch on the diff is likely not working... easy fix with the new switch. If the truck can do tight donuts smoothly then your CDL is not engaging, and that’s a bigger issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help I'll have to wait until the snow melts a bit or find a dry patch where I can test the CD. Worst case scenario if the CD is not locking what am I in for in terms of dollars to repair or replace?

Just replaced mine with the Beck/Arnley and a 27mm ratcheting wrench. Only took about 10 min and the light comes on when I push the CDL button now.
Where did you get your ratcheting wrench? This is what is holding me up from repairing or replacing mine at this point. Also, where did you get your CD replacement? I have a 93' so I'll need to order one just in case. Thanks!

Where did you get your ratcheting wrench? This is what is holding me up from repairing or replacing mine at this point. Also, where did you get your CD replacement? I have a 93' so I'll need to order one just in case. Thanks!
Also, did you use a flex head or is a normal one sufficient?

Found a ratcheting 27mm at HD. Hopefully this sucker fits in there, it'll be tight

Guys, this has been the death of me. I went ahead a replaced the switch. But nothing happens I push the center locker button, I don't get a click from the relay I don't get anything on the dash, even if I put it in 4 low, I don't anything......

Guys, this has been the death of me. I went ahead a replaced the switch. But nothing happens I push the center locker button, I don't get a click from the relay I don't get anything on the dash, even if I put it in 4 low, I don't anything......
Now replaced the printed circuit board behind the switch, one of the more pricey options but there was 2 left in the country, so I decided to do it anyways, So new PSB, and new switch still no center lock, nothing happens when I press the button, the VSC light doesn't even come on putting it in 4-lo

Now replaced the printed circuit board behind the switch, one of the more pricey options but there was 2 left in the country, so I decided to do it anyways, So new PSB, and new switch still no center lock, nothing happens when I press the button, the VSC light doesn't even come on putting it in 4-lo
I think your actual actuator might be jammed/gunked up. I would remove that from the transfer case and see if it’s binding or doing anything at all.
I’m guessing you have checked all the relays and fuses already?

I think your actual actuator might be jammed/gunked up. I would remove that from the transfer case and see if it’s binding or doing anything at all.
I’m guessing you have checked all the relays and fuses already?
I have checked fuses, I'm currently trying to find the relay, shouldn't I still hear the relay atleast

I have checked fuses, I'm currently trying to find the relay, shouldn't I still hear the relay atleast
You definitely would hear the relay in the glove box. However, in my experience when my actuator was jammed up I would sometimes hear it, sometimes not, when pressing the CDL button.

The Beck Arnley 201-1788 Back Up Lamp Switch and Husky 27mm combo wrench have been in the garage for over a year, but I'm overjoyed that the CDL indicator light is back.

My daughter had repeatedly told me the truck is broken and wouldn't steer right when she accidentally hits the CDL switch with her phone or Starbucks cup.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to these threads, esp @NC-Grayson and @yeti in ga
IMG_7691.jpg
IMG_7692 (1).jpg

I’m wondering if anyone can help me, I ordered the switch replacement from Witsend but it looks like a different connector than the one on the truck.

I am sure I am in the right location as I’ve watched multiple videos. On Witsend the part number is 84222-12010. I’ve reached out to Joey but he is quite busy. Is this for vehicles with the rear diff locker?

B1878740-2CE6-4813-9468-9BFC218F5A68.jpeg

FA194217-AD8C-446C-967A-4BDF3F4C3840.jpeg

Finally getting around to doing this - have the replacement switch and and 27mm wrench, have bent the heat shield for better access, but I'm still having a hard time disconnecting the wire from the old switch attached to the transfer case. Can you just pull the wire connector off the old switch, or is there a button or lever that has to be pressed or released to remove it?

well managed to disconnect wire harness - there is a small depression on the gray wire housing - press that down, and you can pull the wire out of the switch. Changed my old switch with the new one and hopefully this should fix problem. To my surprise, old switch (the part that was not exposed anyway) was covered with a thin layer of oil - is this normal?

No I did not resolve the issue. My switch always works, but everything doesn't reset until I restart. On weekend wheeling adventures it'll work normal for a few hours here and there though...
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the Beck Arnley switch sitting in the garage, but I have the exact same problem as you. Annoying having to stop and restart the truck to get the lights to clear.

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the Beck Arnley switch sitting in the garage, but I have the exact same problem as you. Annoying having to stop and restart the truck to get the lights to clear.
No I have not figured out how to permanently fix the issue. I've just been restarting it when needed. Let us know if you find a solution

No I have not figured out how to permanently fix the issue. I've just been restarting it when needed. Let us know if you find a solution
Sounds like an issue with the relay if you have to restart the car to get it turned off / on.

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting and info here. Got this done today and fixed the problem exactly as I expected it would thanks to these write-ups. Beck Arnley part worked perfect. I must be a masochist, because I skipped the 27mm wrench and got it off with an 8" crescent. Wasn't too bad honestly and saved a couple $$$.

Looking to do the same thing this weekend. CDL engages when button is pushed on the dash, but the light on the dash doesn’t light up. Part ordered and will follow up after the installing. Appreciate the help.
Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom