What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Negative on 3.
The way it should be setup...the brake and clutch pedal are well above the elevation of the accelerator pedal. Like high enough that if you side step the accelerator pedal from the resting position your foot would slide under the brake pedal nearly without interference.
The brake pedal should have the brakes firmly engaged by the time its depressed down to the elevation of the accelerator pedal.

20201119_150521.jpg

20201119_151214.jpg

The way it should be setup...the brake and clutch pedal are well above the elevation of the accelerator pedal.

Hmmmmm. Mine is not. Is it adjustable? I forgot to even take a look when I took the pic. :rolleyes:

This truck does have a glass tub.

My concerns are getting the sole of my boot caught under the brake pedal, when trying to lift foot off accel to depress brake, as well as accidentally engaging the accelerator when depressing the brake.

Seems like maybe, I need to rebend my accel pedal, unless it is actually adjustable. :hmm:

On a slightly related note, we also have a 1963 Beetle, and the pedals are sooo close together, I can only drive it barefoot, while wearing a tie-dyed thong!

peds.jpg

your accelerator pedal looks like its bent upwards, and the clutch and brake are set low, as if the PO was trying to get them all in a row.
yes there is an adjustment on both the brake and clutch pedals.

On a slightly related note, we also have a 1963 Beetle, and the pedals are sooo close together, I can only drive it barefoot, while wearing a tie-dyed thong!

ok, i'll bite....pix, and not of the car.........................................................

I've been daily driving the '78 40 lately, and the brake pedal is dangerously close to the accelerator pedal. I have about a 1/2" between the pedal and my foot.

I have a few simple ideas to correct this.

1. Heat, and rebend, the brake pedal.

2. Trim the brake pedal pad on the right side, and find a new rubber cover to fit.

3. Is there an earlier, or later, brake pedal I could swap right in without having to modify the stock pedal?

I'm hoping #3 is an option...

Open to all suggestions.

View attachment 2500385

Wear narrower shoes...

In all seriousness, my truck might be a bad example because the gas pedal is modified, but the gas sits far lower than the brake on my truck. They're tight but I've never had an issue accidentally stepping on the gas when I meant to hit the brake and vice versa. I've got to raise my foot substantially higher to hit the brake.

Greg surely you own at least one pair of $300 Italian leather driving loafers?!

Tie dyed banana hammock and Italian leather footwear...at the rate 2020 is going, Greg could very well be setting up the fashion trend for the next decade

Tie dyed banana hammock and Italian leather footwear...at the rate 2020 is going, Greg could very well be setting up the fashion trend for the next decade

That’s a visual that’s going to take all weekend to drink away.

I've been daily driving the '78 40 lately, and the brake pedal is dangerously close to the accelerator pedal. I have about a 1/2" between the pedal and my foot.

I have a few simple ideas to correct this.

1. Heat, and rebend, the brake pedal.

2. Trim the brake pedal pad on the right side, and find a new rubber cover to fit.

3. Is there an earlier, or later, brake pedal I could swap right in without having to modify the stock pedal?

I'm hoping #3 is an option...

Open to all suggestions.

View attachment 2500385

Use smaller feet?

Well, the overnight temperature dropped into the 30’s - time for the annual weepin’ of the coolant from every damn hose on the truck.

I’m sure this has to do with metal contracting under the rubber but you’d think after tightening the hose clamps no less than 3000 times this would stop.

3FD7D3C1-B9AC-4770-9C46-2AC8320EF96B.jpeg

Last edited:
That was quick! How big is the garage?!

just a two car attached, not as large as i would have liked, but there is plenty of storage space in addition to it.
it's a one owner 1975 bi-level, that looks like it never left the 70's....which we absolutely love.
to say i'am a motivated buyer is an understatement.

front.jpg

sunroom.jpg

familyroom.jpg

rear.jpg

Got COVID, isolated from my family and worked from home for 2 weeks. Very few symptoms thankfully. Garage and the guestroom were my only allowable places in the house. Cleared that ok, was ready to come out when wife started feeling it, then tested positive. So I was clear and came out of isolation, she went in. Shes got more symptoms than me but not terrible. But I’ve been full time dad and home school teacher to the girls. Work thankfully understands, I get up at 4 AM, work for 3 hours untl everyone else wakes, then pick away at things from home while being teacher and taking care of everyone. Girls got another test Friday, should know by tomorrow where they are.

Been running the motor a little, have valve/lifter tick. Relashed valves twice. Dad came by outside and we both concluded that 1-2 lifters aren’t pumping up. New lifters will be here this week, should be able to swap and re lash valves again by thanksgiving weekend.

Other dilemma is trans/tcase mount. See build thread for more info and pics:

Got COVID, isolated from my family and worked from home for 2 weeks. Very few symptoms thankfully. Garage and the guestroom were my only allowable places in the house. Cleared that ok, was ready to come out when wife started feeling it, then tested positive. So I was clear and came out of isolation, she went in. Shes got more symptoms than me but not terrible. But I’ve been full time dad and home school teacher to the girls. Work thankfully understands, I get up at 4 AM, work for 3 hours untl everyone else wakes, then pick away at things from home while being teacher and taking care of everyone. Girls got another test Friday, should know by tomorrow where they are.

Been running the motor a little, have valve/lifter tick. Relashed valves twice. Dad came by outside and we both concluded that 1-2 lifters aren’t pumping up. New lifters will be here this week, should be able to swap and re lash valves again by thanksgiving weekend.

Other dilemma is trans/tcase mount. See build thread for more info and pics:
Hopefully everyone comes through ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom